All Mountain Tyres

creaky

XMAS Plumper
However, I'm a little disappointed at the width of the Wild AM - it's meant to be a 2.35 but measures almost identical to the Minion in a 2.3, mounted on a 30mm id rim.
Oooh ... that 1.2mm !

I'm sure the tread and casing differences make much more of a difference.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I'm currently running the Wild AM (front) and Force AM (rear) as an aggressive trail combo. Previously was running DHR2/Minion SS.

Michelin combo is nice and light, fast rolling, and the front has lots of grip. However, I'm a little disappointed at the width of the Wild AM - it's meant to be a 2.35 but measures almost identical to the Minion in a 2.3, mounted on a 30mm id rim.

I'll be changing back to a 2.5 Maxxis for Derby, with an aggressor for the rear on the G15 as I know it'll work (unless pissing rain). Will happily keep the Michelin combo for the trail bike.

If I got them cheap enough I'd be keen to give some of the other Michelin options a go.
How is the Force AM wearing??

I've worked my way through a few of the Force XC on the rear now. I haven't found a tyre at that weight that I can trust more to hold air...it's insane how robust the casing has been considering how light it is (seriously shames something like an Ardent Race or Ikon EXO)...and I've put them through Thredbo and Victorian high country.

In saying that, goddam the tread wears away quickly!! Lucky I bought a couple of them off CRC when they were $38 each.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Just had a couple of rides with the new design Hans Dampf on the front. It’s a nice improvement over the original, the side knobs are bigger and more sturdy, it’s has a slightly squarer profile and the tread knobs are meaty all over. It still rolls similar to the original only a tad slower/noiser on tarmac. And most importantly it still has a nice big bag to it (2.35), way bigger than a 2.35 maxxis.. So far so good, be interesting to see it’s durability with the soft compound.
I never used the old ones, but after a couple of rides I rate the new ones very highly indeed.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Considered a rock razor too, but not keen on a semi slick. Wouldn’t suit my shite riding style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An SS is really all you need on the back at the Youies. My style is similar to yours, and it works great for me out there.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I switched from a DHF 29x2.3 rear tyre to an equivalent sized Aggressor just before Xmas on a 140/130mm trail bike.

I reckon it is the bees knees, absolutely love it.
Very predictable and very grippy.
Now running a DHF/Aggressor combo and it is working very well on the local trails (loose on hard)

Have heard of people that don’t enjoy it because they prefer a looser rear end so I guess it depends on riding style.
The Boy uses the same combo on his Strive and loves it. I'll probably change to an Aggressor once my current SS wears out. It'll save me having to change tyres when I need something more grippy, for iRide or somewhere similar.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I’m happily back on Schwalbe on my hardtail. Was running a DHF/Ardent combo for a few months. DHF has got to be the most versatile, reliable tyre out there but it rides like a boat anchor.

Gone the Hans Dampf / Nobby Nic this time. Saved a 150g and picked up some more volume/width. Both performing well. Not sure how long the Soft compound on the HD will last though.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Not sure how long the Soft compound on the HD will last though.
Yeah, I'll be interested to see that myself. I got these ones for free, but seeing how long they last will be the deciding factor in whether or not to pay actual money for them.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Has anyone tried the Assegai? Interested to hear any comparisons against the DHF as a front tyre? Maxxis have at last released it in lighter versions instead of the 1.4kg DD jobbie

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems to be a very popular tyre amongst the DH crowd, I’d never considered it as it only came in super heavy DH spec as discussed.

Would be quite interested if there’s a trail bike friendly version

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An SS is really all you need on the back at the Youies. My style is similar to yours, and it works great for me out there.
Ended up getting a second hand Rock Razor for cheap so I’ll at least give it a go before writing it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BB1

Likes Dirt
How is the Force AM wearing??

I've worked my way through a few of the Force XC on the rear now. I haven't found a tyre at that weight that I can trust more to hold air...it's insane how robust the casing has been considering how light it is (seriously shames something like an Ardent Race or Ikon EXO)...and I've put them through Thredbo and Victorian high country

In saying that, goddam the tread wears away quickly!! Lucky I bought a couple of them off CRC when they were $38 each.
Still early days, but haven't torn pieces off it. It's showing wear but it's had a hard life. But for weight vs rolling resistance vs construction I'm very impressed. I paid $50 from CRC.

That said, I don't think it'll have the longevity of the Maxxis options. I got 1200km out of the Aggressor!

Ivan

Eats Squid
OK, long time no posts but thought I'd share my experience.

I've never been a big fan of Minion DHF's, because that vague feeling at mid lean always messed with my confidence.

A few months ago i put a Minion DHF 2.5 3C WT on the front with a slaughter on the rear. It sucked balls with both tyres starting slides in a pretty unpredictable fashion. Yuck. It was obvious to me that the slaughter was not suited to the DHF (or at least my riding styles).

I bought a 2.5" Aggressor for the rear, and after some early scares and some experimentation with tyre pressures I am in a happy place where grip is crazy and slides are predictable. I ahve adjusted my style to lean the bike more, earlier on corner entry.

The DHF now gets two thumbs up from me. Shocking I know, but I don't always believe the hype. Aggressor is awesome too. Maxxis FTW.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Assegai is now out in Exo and Exo+ casings and available at MTBDirect.. Just put one on order.

Have been waiting to try this sucker out since it was released in DH casing, but did not want to suffer the weight penalty. Hopefully it performs as well as the reviews, and in Maxx Terra rather than Maxx Grip.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
The Assegai is now out in Exo and Exo+ casings and available at MTBDirect.. Just put one on order.

Have been waiting to try this sucker out since it was released in DH casing, but did not want to suffer the weight penalty. Hopefully it performs as well as the reviews, and in Maxx Terra rather than Maxx Grip.
Planning to try it front or rear?

I'm trying to understand the pricing difference between Assegai and DHR 2... why the DHR is so much more with same specs

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Damn I didn't need to know this.

Just ordered an EXO assguy for the front and a DD aggressor for out back. My tyres still have plenty left in em but the assegai looks pretty solid for aus conditions

Jpez

Down on the left!
A few months ago i put a Minion DHF 2.5 3C WT on the front with a slaughter on the rear. It sucked balls

The DHF now gets two thumbs up from me. Shocking I know, but I don't always believe the hype. Aggressor is awesome too. Maxxis FTW.
The only thing that’s really shocking is you had two different brand tyres on your bike!
Dude that’s just wrong;)
The DHF/Aggressor combo is my go to.

Giving the Michelin Wild Enduro tyres a crack at the moment.
I find them very similar to the DHF/Aggressor combo and really liking them.
I find they have stiffer sidewalls than the DHF which is good for my rocky trails and the rear is nice and fast rolling. Good, grippy and predictable.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only thing that’s really shocking is you had two different brand tyres on your bike!
Dude that’s just wrong;)
The DHF/Aggressor combo is my go to.

Giving the Michelin Wild Enduro tyres a crack at the moment.
I find them very similar to the DHF/Aggressor combo and really liking them.
I find they have stiffer sidewalls than the DHF which is good for my rocky trails and the rear is nice and fast rolling. Good, grippy and predictable.
I use Wild Enduro on front after years of DHF. The Enduro is significantly better and doesnt have a vague grip point like the DHF.

Minlak

custom titis
I’m now running at Forekaster front in 2.6 and the Aggressor DD rear in 2.5 on the Norco Torrent Hardtail. Only 1 ride in at Daisy Hill and over some of the roughest stuff I have done ( not that rough compared to others ) I’m impressed. Got tired of tearing out sidewalls on the Forekaster rear ( went through a stage of doing the same on Ardent races for a while.) Damn the DD is a beast of a tyre. Was super difficult to mount to. Not very stretchy lol