All Mountain Tyres

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Assegai is mounted and ready for a roll tonight. It really looks the goods so I hope it rides as well as it looks.

If you are running a non-boost Diamond there is really stuff all clearance.

Compared to DHF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks similar to the Magic Mary, but the tread is a decent whack wider.
I loved the Magic Mary, but the knobs kept falling off.

Be great to hear your feedback after you’ve ridden both.

Currently running a Magic Mary which I love in all respects except for the (slightly) soft side knobs and rolling resistances

I’m particularly keen on the Assegai given it seems to avoid that ‘gap’ in traction as you tip it over found on Minions. However have been a little put off by the reviews which describe it as the slowest rolling tyre they’ve ridden - although some seemed to think the Magic Mary was slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Be great to hear your feedback after you’ve ridden both.

Currently running a Magic Mary which I love in all respects except for the (slightly) soft side knobs and rolling resistances

I’m particularly keen on the Assegai given it seems to avoid that ‘gap’ in traction as you tip it over found on Minions. However have been a little put off by the reviews which describe it as the slowest rolling tyre they’ve ridden - although some seemed to think the Magic Mary was slower.

When I was reading the reviews I also noted the rolling resistance comments, but from what I read they were running it front and rear and also in Maxx Grip compound. I am not sure I would ever run it rear (DD 2.5WT Aggressor out back) and the Maxx Terra should roll a little better.

I am pretty used to the gap on the Minions and High Rollers, but am definitely not a massive fan.
Will report back.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I was reading the reviews I also noted the rolling resistance comments, but from what I read they were running it front and rear and also in Maxx Grip compound. I am not sure I would ever run it rear (DD 2.5WT Aggressor out back) and the Maxx Terra should roll a little better.

I am pretty used to the gap on the Minions and High Rollers, but am definitely not a massive fan.
Will report back.

Interested to hear how the Aggressor goes paired with the Assegai on the front too. This is probably front runner for next tire combo. Keen to run a faster rolling rear but worried it’ll be a little unbalanced with masses of grip out front and comparatively little on the back.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interested to hear how the Aggressor goes paired with the Assegai on the front too. This is probably front runner for next tire combo. Keen to run a faster rolling rear but worried it’ll be a little unbalanced with masses of grip out front and comparatively little on the back.
Agressor 2.5" DD is a great rear tyre, and in my experience a very good match for a DHF 2.5/2.6" front grip wise. I'd imagine the Assegai would be similar so should work really well together.

I don't get bothered much by the "transition" zone of the DHF, it feels minor now I've adapted too it and can't help but feel it may be the key to it's brilliant edge grip. I'm interested in the Assegai, but having tried Michelin Wild AM and Bontrage SE4 fronts (which admittedly aren't as agressive tyres), those little blocks that fill the transition zone gave great transitional feel but felt like they reduced the edge grip quite a lot. I wonder if the Assegai would suffer similarly, or if the beffier side lugs and squarer tread profile would still provide the biting DHF edge grip with the bike leaned over...?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I had a short ride one it tonight and can’t really report much. There has been a fair bit of rain here over the weekend, so the trails are pretty grippy, in stark contrast to the slippery dust bowl it has been recently.

It definitely feels good, but I will need more time on it to make a proper comparison.

I think there could be some truth to the above about the DHF, but I dunno if that is not just a sensation more than better grip, in comparison to the Assegai. The DHF feels like it tips in through the dead zone and side knobs just lock in, whereas the Assegai feels like it just grips the whole way over, but you don’t get that feeling of it suddenly railing on the side knobs...if you know what I mean?

The Aggressor in 2.5 is probably the best rear tyre i have had. I would only swap it out for a DHR2 in really wet weather or on wet shuttle days.

teK--

Eats Squid
Well I had a short ride one it tonight and can’t really report much. There has been a fair bit of rain here over the weekend, so the trails are pretty grippy, in stark contrast to the slippery dust bowl it has been recently.

It definitely feels good, but I will need more time on it to make a proper comparison.

I think there could be some truth to the above about the DHF, but I dunno if that is not just a sensation more than better grip, in comparison to the Assegai. The DHF feels like it tips in through the dead zone and side knobs just lock in, whereas the Assegai feels like it just grips the whole way over, but you don’t get that feeling of it suddenly railing on the side knobs...if you know what I mean?

The Aggressor in 2.5 is probably the best rear tyre i have had. I would only swap it out for a DHR2 in really wet weather or on wet shuttle days.

Look forward to hearing more once you've worn them in and get past the new tyre feeling... I've used DHFs for ages and this may just be something different to try.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look forward to hearing more once you've worn them in and get past the new tyre feeling... I've used DHFs for ages and this may just be something different to try.
I have had a fair few rides on it now and can honestly say I just don’t really think about it, which is a good thing.
It just does its job and grips without fuss and has not yet made me feel nervous or like I am on the ragged edge.
Am heading up to Buller for the weekend so that will be a great test.

Will report back.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had a fair few rides on it now and can honestly say I just don’t really think about it, which is a good thing.
It just does its job and grips without fuss and has not yet made me feel nervous or like I am on the ragged edge.
Am heading up to Buller for the weekend so that will be a great test.

Will report back.

Any chance you’ve ridden a Magic Mary and can compare?

I like the Mary, but tread wear is an issue and it’s just a little squirmy on the side knobs.

Considering an Assegai but all the talk of increased rolling resistance is putting me off a little. The Mary is already pretty slow, so reluctant to change if it’s even slower.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any chance you’ve ridden a Magic Mary and can compare?

I like the Mary, but tread wear is an issue and it’s just a little squirmy on the side knobs.

Considering an Assegai but all the talk of increased rolling resistance is putting me off a little. The Mary is already pretty slow, so reluctant to change if it’s even slower.

I rode a Magic Mary for quite a while and loved it, but I lost a few knobs and felt the casing was not up to task. Super gravity might have been better.
The tread on the MM also is not quite as wide as the Assegai, from what I can tell. The bag is about the same, but the WT tread extends further around and I reckon that protects the sidewalls and the rim a little better.

I would 100% say the Assegai Maxxis answer to the MM and I think you will love it.

The rolling resistance thing relates, usually, to the original DH casing Maxx Grip tyre. I have the Exo+ Maxx Terra and it rolls the same as pretty much any tyre I would put on the front, MM, DHF, HR2 etc...

Edit: in regards to the “squirm” I have not noticed any squirm as such, but there have been 2 instances where the tyre has “pushed” a little, but it was only slightly and I was on the ragged edge. I felt that in those 2 instances the DHF side knobs might have gripped better, but don’t really know for sure.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I wonder if the rolling resistance is due to the fact that they were only available in the DH spec for a while and many reviews were for that version. Anyone seen a review specific of the exo casing version?