All Mountain Tyres

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
The Camel farm is where we normally ride. Is the HD this one?
At that price I think it's a better deal than DH tubes.
Unfortunately the Super Gravity tyres look like they have sold out. I think the bigger issue is lack of tyre pressure. It needs to be 60psi+ if you are riding stairs/park/dirt jumping.

ausdb

Being who he is
Unfortunately the Super Gravity tyres look like they have sold out. I think the bigger issue is lack of tyre pressure. It needs to be 60psi+ if you are riding stairs/park/dirt jumping.
Ok, I'll probably grab the one they've got anyway.
I'll admit I haven't been checking pressure too much as I've just been using a hand pump but have got my floor pump with a gauge now.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Whats to go with "All mountain Tyres" these days, everything seems to be over 1kg (everyone must be shuttling or riding eebs ;) ).

I run two wheelsets on my long travel trail bike, and need to replace some Michelin Wild AM on the pedally/climby set. They were around 800gram in a 29x2.35 and rolled very nicely for the grip on offer. The new version of the Wild AM is 1100grams and uses the same casing as the Wild Enduro (basically what is on the other porker DH wheelset).

Does anyone make an 800-900 gram tyre in a 2.3-2.4 that grips and rolls well? (And also is not Maxxis).

Bontrager XR4? Specialized Eliminator?

Keen to hear any suggestions, maybe Im asking too much.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf have always been good grip vs weight compromises for me. Exo dissector is a decent option too if you decide to permit Maxxis.

I’ve been running the Bonty XR4 on the front of my XC hardtail and it’a ok too. Not quite the same grip though but it was lighter than the XR3 on the rear in the same width / casing for some reason.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Whats to go with "All mountain Tyres" these days, everything seems to be over 1kg (everyone must be shuttling or riding eebs ;) ).

I run two wheelsets on my long travel trail bike, and need to replace some Michelin Wild AM on the pedally/climby set. They were around 800gram in a 29x2.35 and rolled very nicely for the grip on offer. The new version of the Wild AM is 1100grams and uses the same casing as the Wild Enduro (basically what is on the other porker DH wheelset).

Does anyone make an 800-900 gram tyre in a 2.3-2.4 that grips and rolls well? (And also is not Maxxis).

Wild AM were 800g in 29x2.35 :oops:

I had an original set then another set with the yellow decal, both were weighty tyres for supposed AM.

Vittoria Mazzas are the tyre you are looking for, 4 compound, sub 1000g, awesome grip, no sidewall wobbles and great puncture resistance.

You could even put a Vittoria Martello on the rear.

Not sure about stock, they came back out a few months ago and I stockpiled Mazzas and Syerras.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look with the Vittoria distributor GKA in Melbourne. They also have a good discount for signing up to their newsletter, I think it's 30%.
I have a supply of the old Wild AMs in 2.5, such a good all rounder.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

slimjim1

Cheers all, I feel like the Mazza / Martello might be a step up in weight and rolling resistance. Trying to keep this wheelset light and fastish.

Tried the previous gen Nobby Nic and thought they were pretty crappy compared to the Wild AM, the newer model does look better and the weight and volume has always been nice on them.

I have a supply of the old Wild AMs in 2.5, such a good all rounder.
I don't understand Michelin, RockR2's and the original Wild AMs were my go to tyres for enduro and lighter trail use and they discontinue both. There's basically no replacement for the old Wild AM as the new versions with the blue and yellow logos have a more aggressive tread and weigh the same as the wild enduros (way too much overlap between the AM and enduro now IMO).

Has anyone tried a specialized eliminator on the front? Everyone says they are are a rear tyre but they look like they might roll pretty decent while still having butcher like side knobs.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers all, I feel like the Mazza / Martello might be a step up in weight and rolling resistance. Trying to keep this wheelset light and fastish.

Tried the previous gen Nobby Nic and thought they were pretty crappy compared to the Wild AM, the newer model does look better and the weight and volume has always been nice on them.

I don't understand Michelin, RockR2's and the original Wild AMs were my go to tyres for enduro and lighter trail use and they discontinue both. There's basically no replacement for the old Wild AM as the new versions with the blue and yellow logos have a more aggressive tread and weigh the same as the wild enduros (way too much overlap between the AM and enduro now IMO).

Has anyone tried a specialized eliminator on the front? Everyone says they are are a rear tyre but they look like they might roll pretty decent while still having butcher like side knobs.
I've got some sort of Vittoria or the back, I'll see what it is. Not bad though, Wild AM up front.
My son runs Wild AM at the back and Wild Enduros up front, which is a good combo.
I've got a couple of Rock R2s in the cupboard too...

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's an Agarro, quite good for dry and moist conditions but the tread blocks are a bit closer together than a Wild AM so will pack with mud in very wet conditions.
I'm not a Maxxis guy so if I find a good tyre I usually stock up because there are not many alternatives available in Australia.
I ran Bontragers for a couple of months but kept getting punctures.

slimjim1

A mate ended up lending me a used XR4 which I put on the front of my hardtail to start off with just to test.
Impressed enough that I grabbed one for the trail bike and I think this will now be my front #shredcountry tyre of choice, with a Hutchinson griffus subbing in for the burlier days. Excellent grip to rolling resistance . The weight is very good and it rides pretty supple.
What I can definitely not recommend is the schwalbe rock razor on the rear. Here’s mine after 92kms
DA9D762A-8A73-470E-93BD-2A3508D40DAE.jpeg

Flow-Rider

Burner
A mate ended up lending me a used XR4 which I put on the front of my hardtail to start off with just to test.
Impressed enough that I grabbed one for the trail bike and I think this will now be my front #shredcountry tyre of choice, with a Hutchinson griffus subbing in for the burlier days. Excellent grip to rolling resistance . The weight is very good and it rides pretty supple.
What I can definitely not recommend is the schwalbe rock razor on the rear. Here’s mine after 92kms View attachment 397525
Possibly an old or faulty tyre, I've used a few before and haven't had them tear the outer knobs off.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If I knew you I’d make a joke about not leaning the bike over :cool:

I've been riding long enough on the trails and can tell by how stone chipped the frames and rims are, who rides the rad trails around this place.:p

These were ridden on real rocky trails that most people would avoid, but they were fairly old tyres when I had them on the bike too.

20230305_130735.jpg
20230305_130818.jpg

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
What I can definitely not recommend is the schwalbe rock razor on the rear. Here’s mine after 92kms View attachment 397525
I stopped using anything Schwalbe several years ago due to identical issues with both Rock Razor and Hans Dampf.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I stopped using anything Schwalbe several years ago due to identical issues with both Rock Razor and Hans Dampf.
I did too, but gave them a second chance on the new compounds and have found them much more durable. Running Magic Mary/Hans Dampf Supertrails. Hans Dampf is noticeably faster rolling now too.

I ride You Yangs granite most weekends, had them on for about 6 months now. Magic Mary on the front has no noticeable wear. Hans on the back is starting to wear, but no side knobs coming off and seem to be lasting longer than the Maxxis they replaced.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I did too, but gave them a second chance on the new compounds and have found them much more durable. Running Magic Mary/Hans Dampf Supertrails. Hans Dampf is noticeably faster rolling now too.

I ride You Yangs granite most weekends, had them on for about 6 months now. Magic Mary on the front has no noticeable wear. Hans on the back is starting to wear, but no side knobs coming off and seem to be lasting longer than the Maxxis they replaced.
Good to know, cheers @smitho