All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It’s not Ali, but posting here anyway because it’s kinda Ali.
Grabbed one of the MTB direct ‘Winners’ XD 9-50 12sp to try as a back up. It looks for all intents and purposes, like many other cheap cassettes on AliExpress, except I can’t find one like it under any other name. As suggested by @ozzybmx when one of these was mentioned the other day, at least if it shits the bed, I should get some support from Mtbdirect, unlike, and AliExpress seller.

First point, it’s meant to look like this.

View attachment 400137
It actually looks like this, which is odd because black isn’t an option at all in the listing.
View attachment 400138
Second point, it’s a bit lighter than they claim, at 509g. An XT 10-51 is 480g on the same scales.

The hideous labelling also wasn’t pictured. I’ve emailed them to ask what’s up. Really not keen on this look, but will give it a crack if they don’t have a silver as listed.
Also doesn't look to have all the drillium on the granny gear...

moorey

call me Mia
MTBD acknowledge the issue with description. Cassette colour in stock doesn’t match their listing or the box info.
Offered me full refund or generously offered for me to keep it and give me $50 back on it.
Can’t complain about that. While I didn’t want a full black cassette, it’s only a backup.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
MTBD acknowledge the issue with description. Cassette colour in stock doesn’t match their listing or the box info.
Offered me full refund or generously offered for me to keep it and give me $50 back on it.
Can’t complain about that. While I didn’t want a full black cassette, it’s only a backup.
I’m pretty sure that’s the Sunshine sz cassette.
Alibaba two dollar special
Get a refund then just buy from Ali.

moorey

call me Mia
which ones have you used that have been no good so far.
I haven’t been able to find perfect shifting on the lightweight ZTTO 9-46 11 speed. Having a great run with their 9-42 on numerous bikes. Ozzy had a bad experience with bad back up, but YMMV

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I reckon that’s definitely the one sold as the Winners MS at MTBD. I’d give one a try. I don’t have your watts.
I have no watts. I also bought it 2 years ago, they must have fixed it by now or it would surely have negative reviews.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 124753.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
The crowd that it's marketed at don't ride hard or only ride once a year so don't need to worry about folding cogs.
I don’t fully buy that. More aimed at people who’re happy to take a weight penalty. Maybe not for use with racing, but mostly these are pretty reliable and strong.
Ask @Jpez about numerous light weight expensive e13 cassettes.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I don’t fully buy that. More aimed at people who’re happy to take a weight penalty. Maybe not for use with racing, but mostly these are pretty reliable and strong.
Ask @Jpez about numerous light weight expensive e13 cassettes.
but I guess we can ask u how many Ali cassettes equal one gx?
U take a weight penalty for running a deore level cassette. It’s aimed at the crowd that would view a cassette as more of an expense rather than a consumable. Aka a tight arse