All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
In my minds eye...but it’s dark outside...I reckon the cassette isn’t pulled on all the way. I didn’t want to over tighten a cassette of unknown quality. Another 1/2 turn would probably do it. Dare I?

Edit. I don’t dare. Well torqued. Putting it down to tolerances being a bees dick out, and the orange frame being intolerable.
U crossed threaded it m8?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats no good, I have 120km on mine with no issues yet.

I used Finish Line wet lube instead of the DT Grease.

Nearly 5.5k views on my video :oops:

Carrying the original 18t just in case. If it fails, I'll grab another DT 54t.
I probably got to 60k or so, so that's better than I got out of it. Have ordered a genuine DT 54t now.

Out of curiousity, could you pull it out and take a look/get a photo of the teeth?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Out of curiousity, could you pull it out and take a look/get a photo of the teeth?
Yep, will do tonight. Just heading away tomorrow for a week, probably a good time to look.
I am carrying spares though.

Ben78

Squid
@Ben78 - did you finish getting this built up? (Assuming you did here...) Any thoughts on how it rides?
Yeppo, so I bought this frame after cracking my Merida 96 and they couldn't sell me replacement parts after dicking me around for 7 months. Ican delivered the frame in less than 2 weeks. The geo was attractive to me as it is very similar to my 2019 Specialized Enduro, but obviously lower travel.

Parts list is
Revelation 120mm fork
Monarch 165x38
Magura Trail brakes
Truvativ carbon bars
SLX cranks 170mm with Deckas 32t ring
Microshift Advent X drivetrain (I have 3 of these and they are fantastic)
DT XM401 rear wheel and Merida front wheel - but I have a carbon one to replace the front shortly.
Bontrager 150mm dropper

Whilst I was waiting for Merida, I was riding my enduro with 29" XC tyres and the suspension firmed up a heap - it actually rode pretty good like that - and the Ican feels very similar to how it rode. On climbs it can be a little vague and I definitely have to get more forward to account for the longer front centre. I've ridden it about 160km so far and am very happy with how it rides. Descents are brilliant. Pedalling is firm like a XC bike should be but once I start downhill it turns into a trail bike. Rear suspension feels great and tracks well. Currently only works out to 96mm travel, eventually I'll get a 165x45 which will get the frame out to 112mm.

Realistically if I get 2 years from the frame before it explodes spectacularly and I have to buy another one I still haven't lost as much as I would have if I bought a Epic Evo or similar new. Although seeing as there is 'boutique' bike brands running the frame I can't see that it will end that way.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeppo, so I bought this frame after cracking my Merida 96 and they couldn't sell me replacement parts after dicking me around for 7 months. Ican delivered the frame in less than 2 weeks. The geo was attractive to me as it is very similar to my 2019 Specialized Enduro, but obviously lower travel.

Parts list is
Revelation 120mm fork
Monarch 165x38
Magura Trail brakes
Truvativ carbon bars
SLX cranks 170mm with Deckas 32t ring
Microshift Advent X drivetrain (I have 3 of these and they are fantastic)
DT XM401 rear wheel and Merida front wheel - but I have a carbon one to replace the front shortly.
Bontrager 150mm dropper

Whilst I was waiting for Merida, I was riding my enduro with 29" XC tyres and the suspension firmed up a heap - it actually rode pretty good like that - and the Ican feels very similar to how it rode. On climbs it can be a little vague and I definitely have to get more forward to account for the longer front centre. I've ridden it about 160km so far and am very happy with how it rides. Descents are brilliant. Pedalling is firm like a XC bike should be but once I start downhill it turns into a trail bike. Rear suspension feels great and tracks well. Currently only works out to 96mm travel, eventually I'll get a 165x45 which will get the frame out to 112mm.

Realistically if I get 2 years from the frame before it explodes spectacularly and I have to buy another one I still haven't lost as much as I would have if I bought a Epic Evo or similar new. Although seeing as there is 'boutique' bike brands running the frame I can't see that it will end that way.
Thanks heaps @Ben78. Glad to hear it came together well. The geo and sizing looks great for what I want - and I actually put the geometry diagram picture into (the computer program) Linkage a while back to suss out the suspension data - looks like a nice progressive rate design so not surprised to hear it rides well. Hmmm... I'm off to have a dig behind the couch cushions... :p Cheers again.

ozzybmx

So, no damage... but you got me running scared.

Look at the left ratchet, about 11 o'clock, the gold is worn off. I have run a Stanley Knife across it feeling for burrs or inconsistencies but it feels ok.

The Finishline wet lube was pure black after 120km.

Dropped them back in and packed the 54t ratchet. I now have 2 x 18t and 1 x 54t ratchet sets in the tool drawer in my car. Reckon I'm covered for failure.
Where I'm going tomorrow, I can just freewheel down off the hill and call in at the pub before the 250m ride home.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh yep looks like it's chipping in spots on the outer edge too? Doing better than mine, being better lubricated probably prolongs it a bit. Bit of a bummer though, had hoped they would last longer.. get what you pay for I guess.

moorey

call me Mia
Has anyone spotted a 9-44t XD variant? (even the heavier versions).
Had a hunt, couldn't see any. I think it would help alleviate the struggles of getting up to the 46 on a 10-46 without excessive B screw or goat links. I could drop Felix back to a 32t ring and not lose out anything high or low.
Don't say e13 @Jpez

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
@safreek when your Koleos lower boot won’t open and you need new latches (common issue) go to Ali! Bought from Yanjing Car Accessories

Installed them today and work very well. See how they long last but for $94 versus a wrecker at $450 a pair and dealer I think quoted $350 per latch it’s a bargain.

Now to get some time to install those fork foam rings.

safreek

@safreek when your Koleos lower boot won’t open and you need new latches (common issue) go to Ali! Bought from Yanjing Car Accessories

Installed them today and work very well. See how they long last but for $94 versus a wrecker at $450 a pair and dealer I think quoted $350 per latch it’s a bargain.

Now to get some time to install those fork foam rings.
Bastard ;) like you have been spying on me. 3 days ago, makes it a real c*** getting a petrol gurney in

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Bastard ;) like you have been spying on me. 3 days ago, makes it a real c*** getting a petrol gurney in
Just a higher lift! :oops: It’s a small plastic part that breaks but can’t buy that and need a whole new latch. Madness.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I've been rocking the zip tied faux shorts for the last couple of months no worries.
Might pick up another pair, or grab some full length pants.
Good enough for $30.

ozzybmx

I've been rocking the zip tied faux shorts for the last couple of months no worries.
Might pick up another pair, or grab some full length pants.
Good enough for $30.
I bought myself the real Dharco ones but for Doop & Damages here, Froy is the main man.

Will report back on the sizing, my Fox 36 shorts were too big but these 30 waist pants look to be about right.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
More rides in on the heavy ZTTO 9-42 cassettes. On 3 bikes now. Felix says he’s never had better shifting on the Rail. I put it down to the 42 rather than 46 with m8000 11sp. Either way I’ll be getting more.

Just ordered one of these, $77 delivered and about the same weight as SLX.