All riding is good right?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Way to go, roll out the driveway for a 30km spin and an hour later you're back.

I found a roadie last year on a hard waste throw out, whacked some wheels on it from another throw out, new pedals and bar tape and boom. I'm there too.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Always fun carving the roadie down a mountain ! Sometimes going up one too.

Hopefully no trees jump out at you on the road!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Way to go, roll out the driveway for a 30km spin and an hour later you're back.
That is the nice thing with a roadie. I am lucky to have both a small mtb area and road paths not far from home.

My roadie loop from home is 32-42kms depending which way I head out. There isn't much on the road with cars too. Road bikes are fun in their own way, but dirt is more fun.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I have given up on road because of cars. Few close calls and some fruit thrown at me and I just called it. Fark getting killed mashing pedals to get fit for MTB riding, I'll just go ride MTB.

Each to their own, but I see the attitudes towards cyclists in the media and it gives me nil incentive to get cracking at it again.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I have given up on road because of cars. Few close calls and some fruit thrown at me and I just called it. Fark getting killed mashing pedals to get fit for MTB riding, I'll just go ride MTB.

Each to their own, but I see the attitudes towards cyclists in the media and it gives me nil incentive to get cracking at it again.
i live in the country with too many shouldreless roads, local quarry means trucks a plenty, besides i get bored riding rd. i’m lucky we have a few good long gravel options close by

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Currently about 50/50. Road bike it to work on pure paths, on weekend I might try a decent climb. Catch with being a roadie is you need to go out real early to avoid traffic. Like everyone else here, I'd rather bin it sending it on the MTB than get crushed through no fault of my own on the road.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Riding road is better than nothing but it's not the same as mountain biking, it doesn't load your legs up as much.

I ride a fair bit of road on my commuter and I try to keep on the paths as much as possible but I can see how some motorist can hate us, some people just go through blind intersections where the bike path crosses the main roads as fast as they can like it's some type of race, if they stack for any reason as they cross they'll end up a flat pancake. I haven't had much verbal abuse but I get some punishment passes from time to time. I think we pay for the price of the small few that do the wrong thing.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid

Yeah this. Way too nah agro and bogans on the road. If I can do 90 of the ride on bike paths I'll give it a go. Other than that I have a totally over specced roadie that spends most of its life on an indoor trainer.

Minlak

custom titis
Due to your recent vids I can't help but anticipate a crash when I hear the intro commentary !
Hahaha .... my wife anxiously waited for me at home on Sunday as I went trail riding in the morning. Was relieved and surprised I got home again with no crashes.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice one Minlak, hope you enjoy it. I got back on my roadie for the first time since October last weekend. Was a nice change.
Will probably do a bit more as the poor weather sets in on the trails.

Riding road is better than nothing but it's not the same as mountain biking, it doesn't load your legs up as much.

I almost find the opposite!
Road riding I focus all my effort through the legs, and seems to be a much more steady effort. Works the legs good and proper.

MTB I'm using the full body, on/off pedaling, leg pumping or coasting. I can sometimes get off the bike and feel like I havent worked the legs much but have had a good overall workout. MTB does seem to develop good short burst strength.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Nice one Minlak, hope you enjoy it. I got back on my roadie for the first time since October last weekend. Was a nice change.
Will probably do a bit more as the poor weather sets in on the trails.

I almost find the opposite!
Road riding I focus all my effort through the legs, and seems to be a much more steady effort. Works the legs good and proper.

MTB I'm using the full body, on/off pedaling, leg pumping or coasting. I can sometimes get off the bike and feel like I havent worked the legs much but have had a good overall workout. MTB does seem to develop good short burst strength.
Come ride the flatlands, that'll work your legs too ;)

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nice vid @Minlak - almost makes me regret giving away my old 1990's vintage Oria CrMo roadie to a mate a couple of years ago... almost. The thought of those 100psi 20c tyres beating me up and memories of T-boning a taxi that pulled out of a side street and ignored me helps me live with the decision I made to ditch the bike. The guy I gave it to literally got run over by a truck on his own roadie a good few years back too - bloody lucky to have only broken his pelvis and a copped a bit of bruising (he went under the back wheels)!

A crappy hardtail is a good option for road k's, particularly if they have a rough surface or no shoulder - doesn't need too much maintenance and if you run a cheap 3 x drive train you can get decent speed. I find the more upright riding position on a mtb easier on the hips/back as well, being the old fart that I am.