All the Covid bike purchases flooding the market?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Browsing Marketplace today and I couldn't help but notice their is a huge increase in the amount of second hand mountain bikes compared to a year ago. It seems the majority are less than 2 years old with the usual descriptions 'barely ridden' 'absolute weapon' ect.

Most have been for sale for a while and the prices are coming back down. Someone was selling a Polygon T7 for 3k last month firm, now it's 2k and open to offers. Also the local bike shop is now full of bikes compared to last year when the racks were mainly empty.

Safe to assume the Covid tax is over?

Last edited:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Certainly seem's to be happening. I've noticed bikes going on sale now too which certainly hasn't been the case for a while now.

Just last week BikesOnline had Marin trail bikes $1,000 off RRP; now there's discounts on their Polygon trail bikes too.

Minlak

custom titis
Browsing Marketplace today and I couldn't help but notice their is a huge increase in the amount of second hand mountin bikes compared to a year ago. It seems the majority are less than 2 years old with the usual descriptions 'barely ridden' 'absolute weapon' ect.

Most have been for sale for a while and the prices are coming back down. Someone was selling a Polygon T7 for 3k last month firm, now it's 2k and open to offers. Also the local bike shop is now full of bikes compared to last year when the racks were mainly empty.

Safe to assume the Covid tax is over?
Couple of reasons for this I think is
1) Supply - there are more bikes around new with less wait now
2) Interest rates - People are getting desperate to pay the bills
3) Linked to number 2 the reduction in Covid payments and allowances
4) People were frustrated in lockdowns and saw this as a freedom and they had spare money as not travelling and going to pubs etc

I just bought anew bike got a discount and an upgrade thrown in - was suprised as I dint even try to haggle they just did it to move stock

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
4) People were frustrated in lockdowns and saw this as a freedom and they had spare money as not travelling and going to pubs etc

I just bought anew bike got a discount and an upgrade thrown in - was suprised as I dint even try to haggle they just did it to move stock
5) Discovered that you need to ride regularly to actually be able to enjoy it/not feel like you're dying and haven't got time now they're back at work/kids' sports/weddings/holidays/etc on weekends.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
5) Discovered that you need to ride regularly to actually be able to enjoy it/not feel like you're dying and haven't got time now they're back at work/kids' sports/weddings/holidays/etc on weekends.
This is true, had my first decent ride yesterday in 4 months and Christ my legs are sore today...

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
noticing similar too especially the "bought bike new 2021-2020 barely ridden as lost interest/wasn't for me" sales.

oh well i paid the rona tax on a 2019 genius but already did around 300km of riding this year alone, sure could have gotten a weapon of abike if i waited but oh well.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I bought shit. I’m not a complete tight arse but knew it’d happen. I enjoy sales shopping and I’m proud enough to ask for a discount on a new bike… and ducking oath I’ll ask bigger haha.

nathanm

Eats Squid

Agree with all reasons above, is going to be interesting times moving forward with cost of living. People will work more, spend less and have less time. When things get real tight that covid purchase sitting in the garage is worth a mortgage payment or two for many.

I think like a lot of retailers bike stores are going to be doing it tough again very soon as people ride less and no longer need nor can afford to upgrade and service their bikes. with so many near new second hand bikes on the market at a good price its going to impact new bike sales as well.

teK--

Eats Squid
Now that complete bike supply seems to be caught up I hope they can fix the supply chain issues for spare parts. I'm certain they diverted most supply of spares towards the production of new bikes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
6) Naturally progressed to gravel
7) Never leave the house and ride exclusively on Zwift.