Allen Keys

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,

Very basic question, want to buy a decent set of Allen keys. Any recommendations or ones to avoid? Sidchrome, Kinchrome, Wera, Bondhus, Park Tools some other brand, apologies if it's been asked before, did find one thread from 10 years ago, thought maybe different options now?

Cheers

moorey

call me Mia
I’d say to buy the best you can afford. I can’t afford the best, but have had a set of kingchrome for years that have been great.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

ausdb

Being who he is
There's only a few sizes you really use on a bike, or at least my experience suggests this. I used to have sets of Allen keys in the old flat packs, that fall apart over the years but a collection of singles is what I've accumulated and use mainly now. I didn't consciously pick Bondhus I think they were what was available near where I worked. For anything that's torque sensitive I just use bits with a torque wrench.
Favourite one of all, the red handled 4mm screwdriver style one it's perfect for stem bolts and levers and not doing stuff up too tightly. The soft grip 3mm one is nowhere near as nice to use. The T handles are good when you need things a bit tighter but can be a pain for clearance sometimes. If clearance is tight I'll just grab a single key out of a set of old Holo-Kromes I've had for years.
I read somewhere Bondhus actually make Parks ones. I use Wera screwdrivers in my day job and if there Allen keys are like their screwdrivers they should be ok.
DSC_4344-picsay.JPG

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I have a Park AWS 10 (covers 1.5mm-6mm) for quick jobs - $25

A set of WERA L shape (1.5mm - 10mm) - $70

Bought a syntace torque wrench and the syntace (wera) bits - $180

Got a cheapish P handle 8mm that I use for cranks - Its LOOONG so it has the leverage and 8mm hex don't need to be as well machined as the smaller ones.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
grab a set of clever rescue hex keys from Al at link, T handle rescue keys
they have a twisted end to help with undoing rounded out hex heads, already saved me 3 times undoing old wrecked bolts
t-bar slides in 3 positions to get the best reach
View attachment 365190
OoOoOoOohhhh! I was looking at the Park version of these and they are sold out everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
€18 Wera set, make a wooden display block for them and teach the kids that the block needs to be full at the end of every job.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
€18 Wera set, make a wooden display block for them and teach the kids that the block needs to be full at the end of every job.
Damn I'm almost tempted to buy another set at that price. Have been using mine for ~6 years across bikes, coffee machines and general duties. Love them.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

And then what when they inevitably leave them on the ground anyway?