Alpine Gravity

Plass

Cannon Fodder
Anyone know whats happened to Ben and Alpine Gravity? Facebook page is gone, and their website isn't working.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Alpine Gravity seemed to fade away into nothingness not long after the transition to 'Victorian Enduro Tour', and I think more recently 'Victorian Gravity Enduro Tour'.

Unsure if Ben is still around, or in control or not, even his personal FB page seems to be gone... Have seen nothing on his skills days, or shuttle/ride days for quite some time now either.

teK--

Eats Squid
Word is he is not doing any more MTB events. It has been too stressful and hasn't paid off. He is doing much better working a full time job and looking after his growing family.

Would love if another operator revived the Barjarg ride weekends....

moorey

call me Mia
Word is he is not doing any more MTB events. It has been too stressful and hasn't paid off. He is doing much better working a full time job and looking after his growing family.

Would love if another operator revived the Barjarg ride weekends....
From memory, the Barjarg landowner started to want too big a cut.
Was a thankless job, and a lot of work for little reward. Shame. Benny is a great bloke and a good operator.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Pretty disappointing if Benny has called it. I think after the whole season's pass debacle and all the politics of land access it probably took it's toll.

Couldn't risk the $$$ trying again given he has a family etc.

I noticed on the VIC enduro websites they specifically note that Ben W isn't involved. Was there something sinister there?

Anyways - I'm sure ppl will see him riding Bright and he'll probably be happy.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I did a one on one with him about a year ago. He is an amazing natural teacher and all round good bloke.
I was toying with the idea of another session with him to update a few skills.
Real shame he’s left the scene but the work load and traveling must have been massive and taken a real toll on a young family.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although he's copped plenty of heat over the years, my dealings with him have always been pleasant.
What a thankless task running events and in particular when 'Enduro' was trying to get off the ground and people couldn't decide whether they were here or there.

I tip my hat to him for pushing on and trying to make things happen for the good of everyone else, it's going to be harder and harder to run event in years to come and everyone will be wishing he was still around.

On a similar note, the Victorian Endurance Series won't be run by Rohan next year and could suffer the same fate.

slowmick

38-39"
Will be a big bummer if you has decided to hang up his coaching hat. Did one of his coaching weekends out at the you yangs a few years ago and loved it. Would like to do another one in the future.

Hope he's enjoying more time with his family and friends.

hilo

Likes Bikes
I did a one on one with him about a year ago. He is an amazing natural teacher and all round good bloke.
I was toying with the idea of another session with him to update a few skills.
Real shame he’s left the scene but the work load and traveling must have been massive and taken a real toll on a young family.
Ben used to live across the road from me in Hurstbridge. I started MTB in 2010 (at the age of 39)--he was great teaching me some basic descending skills, and an all-around good fella.

Sort of kept an eye on what he was doing when he moved away hoping things would go well. Glad he got to do a bit more riding and teaching, and hope things go well for him up there. It's a tough business!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
On a similar note, the Victorian Endurance Series won't be run by Rohan next year and could suffer the same fate.
Official word through VES sources is that the Series is still very much on the cards for next year, so I guess we just have to see how it pans out in the longer run.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Now that Ben isn’t doing clinics anymore does anybody know of any decent coaching companies or individuals?
There are a few that come up on google etc but none that jump out as being quality.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
So can anyone confirm what Ben's up to?

As i mentioned earlier would be disappointing to see him give it all up but don't blame him....

The season's pass debacle and the fact Blue Dirt were getting in on Bright and not him was probably just too much to stomach.

I hope he gets to enjoy riding and life and so be it

moorey

call me Mia
Can confirm from recent conversation that Watkins is done, and I don’t blame him. He worked his arse off, put on great events and coaching sessions, but it’s family time.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
It's not a secret i dont think.

Last year just after Blue Dirt threw out their offer Alpine Gravity did a similar. $200 and included 9 (or so - the big draws being Narby and Bright) ride locations across the summer and a swag kit (tshirt and some other stuff)

Ben could never get the permits so in the end there was no schedule... very limited days available and almost only at Barjarg and then one weekend finally at the end of season in Bright.

He seemed real positive at this point, apologised for all the problems, asked for peoples tshirt sizings, then.... silence. Have never heard since.

He couldn't offer a refund as he'd already spent the money on the bike trailers etc.

If it wasn't Ben I'd have been proper pissed but i knew he was acting in good faith.

I just squeezed in 4 days so i let it be.

He sent out some pretty long emails at one stage explaining everything so this isn't anything not openly known to those who signed up

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
That's a real shame but there's a lesson there for all. If permits are required to fulfill a service, don't take money for that service untill the permits are in place. At the very least, don't spend that money untill the permits are in place.