Alternative routing for rear brake hose on Norco Aurum

John U

MTB Precision
I tried some new routing of the rear brake hose of my Aurum. It ships with it routed underneath the bottom of the chain stay. I’ve changed it to along the top.

Here’s how it looks fully extended and fully compressed. Looks like a significant chage to the amount the hose length changes through the travel. Not sure why Norcs didn’t opt for this in the first place.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The gear cable is the side to focus on, the brake side wasn't much trouble.
If you don't get the gear cable right it chews out from the flex and movement.

John U

MTB Precision
The gear cable is the side to focus on, the brake side wasn't much trouble.
If you don't get the gear cable right it chews out from the flex and movement.
This is my first 4 bar/Horst linkage bike. The suspension action changes hose length significantly through the travel when using the original routing due to the routing and the placement of the brake caliper. This shows up in significant movement of the hose on the down tube.
I will check the derailleur cable out. I don’t think it’ll be as badly impacted by the travel because I don’t think there’s as much change between the rearmost fixed point of the cable and where it connects with the derailleur through the travel. The gear cable also moves around a bit on the down tube. Maybe you’re right.
Sorry for the really fucking long sentences.

Note - I only made this change because I shortened the hose just a bit too much, but actually think this routing is better. The proof will be in the riding.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
There might be more clearance than there looks from the photos, but would there be a risk getting the hose bitten by the coil spring once the shock is mounted up?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I saw a lot of chewed up gear cables when we ran a race team with 8+ Norco Aurums.
Never any problems with the brake, just set them with enough slack for full travel.

John U

MTB Precision
There might be more clearance than there looks from the photos, but would there be a risk getting the hose bitten by the coil spring once the shock is mounted up?
Clearance looks fine. Hose bows out a bit. Time will tell.

John U

MTB Precision
I saw a lot of chewed up gear cables when we ran a race team with 8+ Norco Aurums.
Never any problems with the brake, just set them with enough slack for full travel.
That’s quite a bit of experience. Good to know.