Alternatives to Yari/Pike forks... eg DVO, Manitou etc.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

About a year ago I built up a Ragley Bigwig steel HT with a 140mm Yari fork. Long story short: I’ve never really fallen in love with it so now I’m hoing to part it out and build another Carbon HT which will be slightly more capable tan a standard xc hardtail.

Even with a Debonair spring, I find the Yari pretty harsh so I want move to something more supple with 34-35 stanchions and 120 travel. I like the feel of the fox 32 fit4 I have on another bike but every fox fork I’ve owned has creaked like a bastard!

Any advice would be appreciated.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If you’re after supple then you can’t beat a FIT4 stepcast at 120mm. Light too.

Creaking Fox forks ? Haven’t heard too much recently about those issues that both RS and Fox have had in years past. I’ve owned a noisy fox and a noisy RS in the past but they were the exception to many others I’ve owned without any issue.

Saying that, the Yari should perform ok. Assume you’ve serviced it / had it serviced ?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Yari is Okay but nowhere near as nice as the Pike or Fox with the fit4 damper. I serviced it recently and it all works fine. I’d use it on my next build anc stick a charger 2 in it; however the steerer is too short!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
How important is weight on your next build ? What is your weight and the focus use for the new rig ? Budget ?

There are a bunch of options obviously but weight / stiffness and cost will be major factors in the selection I assume.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I weigh about 80kg. Weight of the fork isn’t critical (yari isn’t exactly light). Using it mainly for trail riding, jumps, bunnyhops etc, no big drops or anything too harsh. I do all the above on a $500 Yishun carbon frame with a 32 x 120 fork, however I would like the next build to have a bit more beef up front.

Oh yeah, budget preferably under $900

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A DVO Diamond is going to be the best/plushest fork you can get off the shelf. I think Wiggle still have one or two non boost ones for less than $900 and DVO have a sale on at the moment too.

The motion control dampers in Yaris are awful. They somehow lack mid travel support and have nasty high speed spikes at the same time.

A cheaper option would be to replace the motion control with a Charger 2 and get a debonair air spring.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A DVO Diamond is going to be the best/plushest fork you can get off the shelf. I think Wiggle still have one or two non boost ones for less than $900 and DVO have a sale on at the moment too.

The motion control dampers in Yaris are awful. They somehow lack mid travel support and have nasty high speed spikes at the same time.

A cheaper option would be to replace the motion control with a Charger 2 and get a debonair air spring.

I have updated the spring but thr problem is the steerer is too short to use on my next build

clockworked

Like an orange
Ive got stepcast 34s, and suntour aurons. The fox fork is better, but theres only a bee's dick in it. They are much lighter though

The recent suntour forks ive used are excellent if you like fiddling though. You can really personalise the ride characteristics

moorey

call me Mia
$400 Lyrik from mtb direct?

All gone.

Yari rides harsh without charger damper. Debonair won’t fix that IMHO.
The mattoc punch well above their weight, particularly when picked up on sale and with IRT upgrade.
XFusion similar story. Many prefer to the pikes/lyriks. I’ve got a set of 170 air vengeance I’m yet to fit...can’t find right project for...but looking forward to running.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All gone.

The mattoc punch well above their weight, particularly when picked up on sale and with IRT upgrade.
XFusion similar story. Many prefer to the pikes/lyriks. I’ve got a set of 170 air vengeance I’m yet to fit...can’t find right project for...but looking forward to running.
I can get a 2018 pike for around $800 and change from ze Germans. Add another $100 if I cop gst on entry.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
All gone.

@chrisjc I might have a Mattoc Pro to sell. Pm me.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's still time.

Besides, if the OP let us know required steerer lengths or how much he wants for the total bigwig we might be even more helpful, hint hint.