[AM] '09 Yeti 575

Oracle

Likes Dirt
EDIT: New pics 2nd page!

Thought I'd start this thread before I fly back to work; as I was hoping to complete the build over the weekend (and get my first ride in), but there was a slight problem with the forks delaying the build a couple of days/weeks.

Frame: Black Yeti 575 with carbon swingarm and RP23 shock
Forks: Fox Talas RLC QR15 150-130-110mm
Wheels: Shimano XT (WH-M778) with SRAM PG-990 cassette and XT rotors
Brakes: Shimano XT; Built the bike with Avid Elixir CR's but swapped to XT after testing the wifes SLX disc brakes!
Drivetrain: Shimano XT front mech and crank, SRAM X9 shifters and rear mech, SRAM PC-991 chain.
Other bits: Raceface Deus XC components (stem, low-riser bar and seatpost) , Chris King Sotte Voce headset, Odi lock on grips, Shimano XT pedals.

Build is with All Mountain (back country / technical trails) and enduro's in mind. So light'ish without having to rob another bank. Photos should show the minor parts.

Last edited:

magni

Likes Dirt
OH MY GOD, that bike is going to be the sex!
So jelous of the parts:p
Should be very very nice:rolleyes:
By the way, can i ask roughly how much this set you back?

Last edited:

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MMM, those specs are sounding very nice, and the pics make it even better.

I was lucky enough to ride on of these yesterday, and they are amazing. So light, direct, and heaps of fun to ride. Enjoy mate.

The Yeti XC bikes look georgous.
How light is the build going to be?
If I had the money right now to own two bikes, a decked out 575 would be my choice.

smiff123

Likes Dirt
any reason for the double sided spd's?
I think you'll find that you wont use the flat side.

Anywho that looks like a tops spec I order you to build it up now.

timedward

Likes Dirt

As they come with flat pedals on them my guess is that he hasn't been bothered to take them off.

Oracle

Likes Dirt

None. Took the photo straight after pulling everything out of the plastic. The flats are long gone! ;)

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Finally got it built. Maxxis Monorail UST rear and Advantage UST front. 12.36kg according to the digital scale as seen in the photo:

Photo after the first ride. Surprisingly the anodised paint sheds sticky mud exceptionally well:

Need to tweak the suspension a little as I've only had one ride and am back at work for another week. Will add some sealant to the wheelset, even though they bedded first go and haven't lost any air as yet.

Might also swap the brakes over to an XT/XTR setup as I've had to add a few washers under the CPS bolts so that the Shimano rotors (centrelock spiders) clear the Elixir CR calipers.

Other than that, can't wait to get back home and give it a proper thrashing! :D

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks beautiful !

I've ridden my brothers 2005 575, and was thinking of getting one when I'm in Hong Kong next week, but they have the ASR7 in stock...do you know if there's any advantages to the newer one for enduro/all-mountain riding?

Oracle

Likes Dirt
...I've ridden my brothers 2005 575, and was thinking of getting one when I'm in Hong Kong next week, but they have the ASR7 in stock...do you know if there's any advantages to the newer one for enduro/all-mountain riding?
I haven't ridden an older model 575 frame, but from the reviews I've read, the 08, 09 frames are quoted as being slightly stiffer. How much so I have no idea?

I decided to buy new for: (1) frame warranty; and (2) just loved the hydroformed tubing.

Last edited:

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Minor upgrades:

1. Bought another Shimano XT wheelset so it's a quick swap between dry/urban (Kenda Small Block 8) and loose/wet (Maxiss Advantage) tubeless wheels.

2. Changed front rotor/s to 7" for a touch more power with rear remaining at 6".

3. Installed Joplin 4r seatpost and routed the cable along downtube to neaten things up. Couldn't stand the cable running loose under the toptube - it was scratching the Yeti stickers.

4. Added side loading bottle cage so I can run a 500ml water bottle - enough for a flat 20km urban dash.

Seatpost at full (4") extension with loose/wet wheelset.

Non-drive side. I've added a few layers of gaff tape on the rear swingarm so rotor/s don't chop into the carbon when changing wheels.

Street / dry trails wheelset. I rarely use the full 4" drop but love the infinite adjustability of the Joplin seatpost. ~13.5kg (bathroom scale) including two scoops of stans per wheel.

Joplin cable zip-tied to existing cables. Yeti should've added an extra set of eyelets along the downtube.

Photo before routing the Joplin cable along the downtube.

Last edited:

taquar

Likes Dirt
Lord have mercy, I want one so badly...

How much did it set you back? I'm in the market for an enduro style bike but have been stuck on the value of a Giant Trance, but I just saw the winner... Feel free to pm me if you don't want it publicly known. :)

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Lord have mercy, I want one so badly...

How much did it set you back? I'm in the market for an enduro style bike but have been stuck on the value of a Giant Trance, but I just saw the winner... Feel free to pm me if you don't want it publicly known. :)
haha, thanks for the kind words! :cool:

Built the Yeti with (new) parts from a variety of sources (LBS, ebay and rotorburn etc) to keep the cost down so it's a bit hard to put a price on. My wife has a trance, with mostly Shimano SLX build, and it's also a very nice bike!

As much as I love my Yeti I'm going to have to recommend you try (on the dirt) as many different bikes that you can and choose one that you like best based on fit/geometry and ride style rather than looks. Trust me, you won't be looking down at the frame when you're on the trail!