[AM] 2016 Giant Reign Advanced 1

Logic

Likes Dirt
A few updates..

Once the new bike feeling wore off I started picking all these things about the Pike which pissed me off. The small bump compliance just wasn't there unless I ran ridiculously low pressures but that meant no mid-stroke support. Couldn't fit a Luftkappe since it was a dual position fork. Tried every combination of air pressure and bottomless tokens.

As it turns out the fuckers at Rockshox tuned the Pike RC with a shim stack that is significantly firmer than the RCT3. Apparently so the LSC adjustment dial gives a near-lockout setting when it's fully closed. Might be OK for the average rider but not so for the lighter folks.

It was a tossup between the new Cane Creek Helm fork or a DVO Diamond. The fork that was cheaper and had proven itself for a few years won:

View attachment 339976

View attachment 339978
Liking the murdered out artwork which is printed on the forks rather than decals.

View attachment 339977
There was a lot of chatter about tight clearance for tyres but these Minion DHF 2.5 WT on 29mm wide rims had more than the 6mm minimum required once the factory fender was removed. It was small and shitty anyway.

View attachment 339973

A very slight tweak to the recommended settings for my weight and the fork is pretty close to its sweet spot. The design allows running more air/less sag than usual; I was on about 25% sag with the Pike and now run 15%. This gives really good mid stroke support, keeps the front riding high and with good ramp up to bottom out, but the OTT feature keeps the fork very sensitive to small bumps. Best of all worlds.

The extra stiffness is immediately noticeable even when holding the front wheel and twisting the bars sideways. The sturdier chassis, lots of bath oil in the legs, and adjustable coil negative spring is worth the extra 200g over a Pike.

Going from a 46mm offset fork to a 44mm has improved stability a little bit on the fast open tracks.

My only criticism is the HSC dial is hard to turn but it's not something that needs to be played around with once you have it set up. Also they don't give you a star nut... seriously how tightarse is that??

Super happy with the Diamond and cannot recommend it enough.

View attachment 339980
Found this really cool stuff called Sugru which is a mouldable putty that sticks to anything and dries into a hard rubbery substance. Made this mount for the Lezyne computer to move it off the bars and out of harms way.

A few rad pics from annual Cressy Descent Race. Placed halfway through B-grade; I wasn't feeling that fit this year but still an awesome day as usual.

View attachment 339981

View attachment 339982

View attachment 339983

View attachment 339984
mint bike mate! Didn't know you that was you on RB untill I saw those cressy photos!
I'm that kid with the Nukeproof Mega and BOS suspension.

Is there anything on the bike that is stock anymore? lol

teK--

Eats Squid
mint bike mate! Didn't know you that was you on RB untill I saw those cressy photos!
I'm that kid with the Nukeproof Mega and BOS suspension.

Is there anything on the bike that is stock anymore? lol
Cheers bud was nice to meet you.

Only stock parts left are the frame and drivetrain lol.

teK--

Eats Squid
Haha I think I can see another upgrade shortly :bounce:
Heh the frame and I get along well. Plus with all the changes to boost etc it would be mega pain to swap only the frame.

In the end... Upgradeitis wins though

teK--

Eats Squid
Been too busy working and riding as of late, to post any updates. So here is a mega update!

1. Did some fork shimstack mods.

Full details here: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/dvo-diamond-936949.html from post #370 onwards.

Very easy to do once you've done it once and you don't even need to fully bleed the damper afterwards if you are careful. Maybe 30mins if you take your time?

The mods can be categorised into two:

1) Flip the piston in the compression shimstack. Lowers the transition point (the knee) from LSC into HSC. This helps reduce spiking as the Low Speed is controlled by a bleed needle, but the High speed is controlled by a shimstack. Good for light riders (say 60-75kg).

2) Remove HSC preload shims . This changes the High Speed compression curve from digressive to linear. Makes it plush and without spiking at top of the travel, which is useful if you aren't riding at mach 5 all the time. Additionally, you can also remove 2 of the end shims which softens the whole curve a little bit as well.

What does this all mean?

The fork in stock configuration I found nice and supportive but for my weight it was spiking on tree roots and rock gardens if not hitting them fast enough. It wasn't as bad as my old Pike RC but it still wasn't ideal for me.

After doing both mods (but without the optional removal of the 2 end shims), now it is plush all the time whether riding moderately or fast, and allows more travel to be used without blowing through too much of it.

Since it is very easy to make the changes you can try one, some, or all 3 of the mods in any combination to see how it suits you.

I used Motorex 2.5W cartridge fork oil, which is widely available at moto shops and one of the oils recommended by DVO.

IMG_20180210_102511 (1).jpg
IMG_20180210_102727.jpg

2. Removed the Huck Norris from rear tyre

I haven't had a pinch flat or rim dent despite hitting some very rough trails in the last 6 months. Also have not burped any air. I was however still running the same rear pressure as previous (26psi) compared to when I didn't have a HN since I want maximum rim and rollover protection.

The velcro strap had came apart. So I recommend either using a zip tie, or do what I did and not run anything at all so that the HN can move around more freely inside the tyre.

Here are some pics of some of the 12 or so areas where impacts had caused the rim to cut right through the HN. Overall very happy and can recommend, but after hearing some first hand reviews of the Cushcore I was keen to give it a shot.

IMG_20171113_184135.jpg

IMG_20171113_184144.jpg

3. Fitted Cushcore to the rear tyre

In terms of fitment I found it quite easy. I left one side of the tyre mounted, fitted the Cushcore and then got the other side of the tyre on using a gentle pry from a lever for the final couple of inches. The ease was rather an anticlimax as I was preparing for a 30 minute long round in a cage fight.

BTW I weighed the Huck Norris at this point and it had increased from 80g to 120g as result of all the sealant absorbed onto/into it.

I am now running 4psi less than with the Huck Norris and not feeling excessive squirm. The first few runs I kept thinking I had a flat tyre because the back felt kinda "dead". After I got used to it, that feeling translated only into very high levels of grip.

It was a case of re-learning what lines I could take and at what speed, as the rear would no longer ping off stuff and bounce me off line. I'd have to say the feeling is like when you first fit a coil shock. I also lowered my front tyre by 2psi as well to even it up a bit (not running any sort of protecftive strip). So front is 20psi, rear is 22psi now, 69kg ready to ride.

Didn't really notice the extra 130g over the Huck Norris to be honest. I imagine if you are riding a very light bike or doing a lot of mileage it might be a different story.

I think both products fill their respective niche well. Choose HN if you want a reasonable amount of protection for the rim and sidewall but with minimal weight and cost. Cushcore if you want to be able to run very low pressures, have a nice damped feel to the tyre, and very high level of rim/tyre protection, but can cope with the extra 120-160g (compared to the HN) and about double the cost.

4. SQ Labs Ergowave Active saddle

Saddle reviews are usually pretty boring, but this is not your usual saddle.

I get lower back pain at times. This used to be more frequent but I since shed a lot of junk out of the backpack and also started using an USWE pack which helped a lot since it sits very stable.

The other area of improvement was probably my posture so I put an extra spacer under the stem. And maybe one of these fancy saddles that has built-in flex. It is meant to take pressure off your lower back, and also compensate for if one leg is slightly longer than the other (apparently quite common?).

You can see it is quite oddly shaped; it's high at the back, low at the front, a big scoop missing out of the middle, with a long nose for climbing and bike control with your thighs when the dropper post is all the way down. Choice of 3 different firmness rubber inserts depending how much flex you want.

The shape works bloody well, to take pressure off your man bits, and also stop your spine getting too much stress if your form isn't great.

It is taking a lot of trial and error to get the saddle height, angle, and setback correct. due to it not being like your usual shaped saddle. Just gotta read the instructions and experiment.

Back pain has been helped but I will have a bit more fine tuning as now I have sore knees lol.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180120173843265_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180212_210413.jpg
IMG_20180120_173911.jpg

6. Fox Proframe helmet

This is part gear review and part JRA story. After doing a great job at protecting my melon every weekend and keeping it very cool over Summer, it likely prevented a very serious injury. I misjudged the wall ride at Mt Buller International track, went OTB and basically lawn darted into the ground, landing on my temple then rolling onto my back. The way I impacted probably made really good use of the MIPS feature.

Walked away with a minor concussion, very sore neck, and a snapped dropper lever. Considered myself very lucky as the helmet split all the way through from the temple up to the crown of my head. Wolf Tooth also designed their dropper lever with a breakaway part which is easily replaced for $10 which was good.

Once I felt a bit better that day the first thing I did was order the same helmet as a replacement. Fully rate this helmet for year-round use, as I never took the chin piece off my Bell 2R and the Fox just feels like so much more protection but ventilates way better.

IMG_20180106_142438.jpg
IMG_20180106_183613.jpg

That's about it for now. Thanks for reading!

teK--

Eats Squid
Tops update - hope you have healed up ok.
That's the thing about concussion, ive had it a few times and the only way I have to gauge it's severity is how loud and long that "ringing" went for compared to the other times.

I'd say this time probably on par with the others.

More scary was the way I landed head first. It was one of those moments where I realise it could have become a spinal injury. That really made me think about how my whole life could have changed in an instant.

Found some various cuts and and bruises later and brain felt a little slow at work on Monday but have since made a full recovery. Cheers mate.