AM Frames

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Hi Folks

Looking for some advice regarding a frame upgrade. I am running decent components, wheels etc and rather than purchase a new bike I would prefer to purchase a new frame and swap the components over.

I am currently looking at either a Santa Cruz Blur LT, Trek Remedy or Pivot Mach 5.7. Which one?

Like everyone else I am chasing after the perfect bike that climbs like an XC yet comes down like a DH. I also don't mind a XC session with a couple of hours riding every now and then but enjoy coming down than anything else so want at least 5 inch travel. I am leaning towards the Santa Cruz but would like to hear peoples opinions on any of the 3 frames, both pros and cons, so I can make the most informed decision.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to reply.

Cheers

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any one of those frames will do the job you want.

Have a look at what parts you want to fit or already have.

The Santa Cruz and the Pivot (i think) take 30.9 seat posts while the Remedy is the 31.6(?) size. Anyway, it's different. This can be a big deal if you have already shelled out several hundred on a dropper post.

Also, the Remedy has a smidge more travel.

Gripper was selling a medium Blur LTc a while ago, think it's still for sale.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
I believe it is a medium sized frame. I'm 6'1 so need a large.

Few months back there were a number of good frames available on rotorburn but now I have decided to upgrade, nothing suitable is seems to be around. Always the way!

Good point about the seatpost, I only yesterday purchased a 31.6 reverb to replace my shot x-fusion hilo. Was discussing with the LBS wether to purchase a 30.9 and shim it until I decide on a frame to cover my options.

The Santa Cruz will take my current wheelset (Mavic Crossmax) and the others won't but everything else is fine.

Any one of those frames will do the job you want.

Have a look at what parts you want to fit or already have.

The Santa Cruz and the Pivot (i think) take 30.9 seat posts while the Remedy is the 31.6(?) size. Anyway, it's different. This can be a big deal if you have already shelled out several hundred on a dropper post.

Also, the Remedy has a smidge more travel.

Gripper was selling a medium Blur LTc a while ago, think it's still for sale.

Last edited:

muvro

Likes Dirt
Frame only makes the choice a bit harder as a few of the manufacturers sell frame only near almost the cost of their bottom spec complete bike.

If you do pedal a bit of XC, though prefer the bomb down, the Blur is good, but I found it doesn't descend as well as others. However, the climbing is pretty bloody good. The pivot is meant to be pretty special. They certainly look the business.

Don't be scared to look at 150mm bikes either. My fun bike (Orbea Rallon) was 150 front and rear (now sports a set of Float 36's). It does everything I could ask of it and some. I have no hesitation in riding that all day, coming off an 11.0kg carbon Rush (XC enduro/race duties) to this isn't a massive difference as far as pedalability is concerned. Coming down hill the 36's on the front make a massive difference over the 150mm 32's, with not a lot of disadvantage on the climbing.

Also check out the Rocky Slayer. That thing is insane for a 160mm bike. Pedals like a demon uphill and descends really well as a 160 bike should. Only prob I have with it is how exposed the front mech is. But running a single ring, either widgit or chain device would eliminate this.

So many choices... lol But if you've narrowed it down to those three, it's a tuff one.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Thats why I am leaning towards the Blur as it can take a 140mm to a 160mm fork.

I currently have a 140mm Revelation that I plan to put on it and then have the option of going to 160mm if that doesn't seem enough.

I will look into the Rocky Mountain as well.

John U

MTB Precision
The truth is in the riding.

Get a decent test ride on all of them if you can and that should answer all your questions. Use any contact possible to gain this. For Santa Cruz Neezy (distributor) may even be able to supply a trial bike. Not sure about Trek and Pivot distributors.

Performance of all those frames should be pretty good. There are not too many badly designed bikes in the decent bike market. I have no experience on any of them.

my02

Likes Dirt
I'm on a 2011 Remedy with a 36 TALAS on the front (plus a few widgets and very soon - 1x10).

Its a fantastic bike taking on not just trail work but also some light FR. It feels fantastic through the rough and in the air plus with the shock set correctly and the forks dropped to 130mm, it climbs extremely well.

As has been said though, they're all good bikes and with a little bit of fettling, you'll get something very close to your ideal set up.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know your not asking for suggestions for bikes but I thought I would put my two cents in. I just brought a Commencal meta AM 2 which has fox float rl 150 mm up front and a fox float rp2 150 mm out the rear weighing at 13.34kg with out pedals is a great ride really easy to move around and lift up the front end.

SunCoastAndrew

Likes Bikes
the remedy is the first bike I've owned that after 3 months I wasn't looking to upgrade (and I've had a few bikes) have ridden Kenilworth DH track (fun but no DH bike - 32 mm forks and head angle really held back the awesome rear end!)), weekly tech trail rides and can drop it down to under 12kg with a couple of component swaps and have done 8 hr solo races and other enduro's too. Had it now for 2 yrs and still loving it. Back end real stiff. Lifetime warranty. Pedals amazingly well. Now set up with 30 tooth widget, 10 speed rear and Joplin post - can ride anything (I don't pedal once at speed - prefer to roll and hold speed - still on original brake pads!)remedy drive side.JPG

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the remedy is the first bike I've owned that after 3 months I wasn't looking to upgrade (and I've had a few bikes) have ridden Kenilworth DH track (fun but no DH bike - 32 mm forks and head angle really held back the awesome rear end!)), weekly tech trail rides and can drop it down to under 12kg with a couple of component swaps and have done 8 hr solo races and other enduro's too. Had it now for 2 yrs and still loving it. Back end real stiff. Lifetime warranty. Pedals amazingly well. Now set up with 30 tooth widget, 10 speed rear and Joplin post - can ride anything (I don't pedal once at speed - prefer to roll and hold speed - still on original brake pads!)View attachment 223585
Hey mate, are you the ginger bloke I see in Parklands with the magnificent beard?

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
I have a Santa Cruz Blur LT ( XL size frame as I am 6'3") and it is best thing I have ridden by a long shot,
I have had a Jamis XAM, Yeti 575 and the BLT climbs like a rabid mountain goat, I have had more fun on it
in a few rides than any other bike over my MTB years. As Muvro says it can be a little sketchy downhill but
but with the Pikes I don't seem to notice it as much, and mine is a refurbished 2006 model so the later ones
may be a little better. The Heckler I am still finishing off, but should be another weapon when ready. I built both
up from a frame to save some cash.

cheers

Ades