AM Helmet

I've had a Fox flux for the best part of 3 years and have never really liked it from day one (ordered online) and here's what I don't like about it:

- the straps are unsecured at the back
- 1 peice front pad collects a lot of sweat
- poor sizing, should be L&XL not L/XL
- heavy at +400g you notice it on your head
- the back adjustment pulls to one side
- vents are too small and don't work well
- my choice of colour, black, absorbs heat
- styling is questionable with the fin thing
- moves around on your even when tight
- very hot after even a short ride

Anyone recommend a helmet doesn't suffer these issues?

i heard good things about specialized helmets but they are bit pricey, have a look at urge, i highly recommend them, but only if you get them for around 100-150 dollar mark, they can also be very expensive if you pay full rrp

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This could possibly belong in the stupid questions thread, but do these 'AM style' helmets actually offer any better protection than the likes of a regular dirt jump style lid? Have a nasty habit of hitting my head and have had one too many concussions but a full face tends to be a bit too warm for my liking.

bamctaggart

Likes Bikes
I've had a Fox flux for the best part of 3 years and have never really liked it from day one (ordered online) and here's what I don't like about it:

- the straps are unsecured at the back
- 1 peice front pad collects a lot of sweat
- poor sizing, should be L&XL not L/XL
- heavy at +400g you notice it on your head
- the back adjustment pulls to one side
- vents are too small and don't work well
- my choice of colour, black, absorbs heat
- styling is questionable with the fin thing
- moves around on your even when tight
- very hot after even a short ride

Anyone recommend a helmet doesn't suffer these issues?

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?164520-How-To-Fix-your-fox-flux-helmet-pics

made mine a million times better fit wise, if your right hand strap has a double end then you wont need to cut or unstitch, you can just take the clip off and thread it through the designed holes on the fit adjuster, i cant say i have had the same problems with heat, mine is silver though.

houli77

Likes Dirt
once upon a time i bought nice helmets. then i broke heaps, so i bought a protec skate lid.

never looked back. don't notice the difference in cooling. it's tough as guts, rolls around in my car with work tools etc.

has protected my head in a few good hits. no damage.

i've cracked a few expensive foam fancy lightweight helmets with small impacts.. never again will i waste my $..

don't believe the hype.. hard shell skate lid will do the trick unless you got a weird shape head or too much $..

will2

Likes Dirt
Its not about it being fancy, light and nice looking, these are just added bonuses! A protec, won't save you in a decent crash, head on rock, bang, lights out. Not wasting your money if it potentially saving your life...

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its not about it being fancy, light and nice looking, these are just added bonuses! A protec, won't save you in a decent crash, head on rock, bang, lights out. Not wasting your money if it potentially saving your life...
tend to agree

661 Recon

661 Recon, really light, fits well even when i have my chinstrap loose, good vents, doesnt have the whistling problem of the flux, plus it gets bashed around in my schoolbag heaps during the day, before training, and hasnt broken.
Plus it matches my gloves

Optic

Likes Dirt
Just bought the recon online, hopefully it's as good as you all say it is Haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus it matches my gloves
Finally a sensible reason for purchase. ;)

Still happy with my Spesh helmet after months of use. Fits secure. Stays in place even with the extra weight of a light fitted on rough terrain. The downside, the first time I washed the small velcroed in padding it delaminated and the foam seaparated from the cloth. I velcroed in a strip of microfiber towel which actually does a better job at stopping sweat reaching my eyes.
Only had a flux previously, but to date I prefer this one. I might try something else next time. I tend to go through helmets.

dogboy*

Squid
Had a Flux for around 3+ years (replaced the pad kit twice) and great helmet. Just bought an A1
and don't know if it's me being unfit (best part of 4 months off with knee problems) but darn it feels hot wearing it. Will definetely be checking this factor out over winter and if it's still hot then I'll probably be looking at swapping it out when summer rolls around.......

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a Flux for around 3+ years (replaced the pad kit twice) and great helmet. Just bought an A1
and don't know if it's me being unfit (best part of 4 months off with knee problems) but darn it feels hot wearing it. Will definetely be checking this factor out over winter and if it's still hot then I'll probably be looking at swapping it out when summer rolls around.......
Yep the A1 is a hot lid, great in winter but very sweaty when it's warm, I run a MET Parrabellum most of the time during summer or when doing more XC stuff, which is a shame because I really like my A 1.

ChopSticks

Banned
That's what I've been sitting on for the last few months....want to sell the A1 as I find myself opting for the xc lid every single ride !!
ive worn it less than 10 times but it's so damn hot!
The fact I don't sweat doesn't help either... Heat just build and builds and I cook !!

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Just received my lid the other day, an IXS Trail. Haven't worn it riding yet so i can't provide any useful feedback as yet.:spy:

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
For those of you considering the IXS Trail RS helmet bear in mind that I reckon its for those with narrower heads rather than those with balloon/moon melons. I purchased the lid from a well known overseas online clearance store. Fortunately it fits me well enough to use it.

I had been running a Giro Xen for years until I taco'd it in a crash. I replaces it with a trabec race MIPS. It has much better coverage but like many have said, it runs a bit hot. That seems like a worthy trade for the increased protection though.

P-Mu

Squid
Sorry to drag up an old thread, and I've seen Puddleducks posts above, but does anybody know if the IXS Trail RS is available in Aus? Also, any ideas how it fits vs. the Fox Flux and Striker? I ask because I find the Flux fits me OK but the same size Stiker is too narrow (and so is the Scott Stego, in medium anyway).