Am I a dickhead? Damaged Nomad 4 frame butchering

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So so so, look what turned up today!
Obviously needs a good cleaning up, lots of clear protect wrap peeling on the back triangle, but still can’t believe I scored a N4 frame for so cheap, fair enough lurking under the paint there are some repairs, but if they turn out fine (and chatting more to the previous owner I think they will be) this thing will be perfect for the duties it will see.
Pretty sold on sanding it back to the carbon and doing a clear over the top (maybe with some silver leaf decals), but I do sorta like the white and black too....or I could ask my brother what he prefers seeing how it’s going to be his.....nah, fuck that.
And I think it’s going to stay 27.5 both ends, been thinking about the mullet but I reckon it’ll end up too high in the front and the seat angle will be almost horizontal. I could always run a less travel fork to compensate, but then what’s the point? I might however throw on a short offset fork. And just doing the maths to see if ill trim the seat post down or not.

Attachments

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If that's the quality of the frame skin application, strip that thing down and inspect A.S.A.P! :p

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, does anyone know any local (Australia) companies that do custom decals for MTB? There is a guy in QLD (Bear Skins) but he is taking a break for a while.
Would rather buy local instead of messing around with international shipping.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't tell where the frame protection ends and the cracks begin! Love the project though, but looks like it will be a bastard to make a nice vacuum bag for.
If you're in Melbourne I've got a pump you can borrow, it's already covered in epoxy....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Are they still operating? I tried a couple of times to contact them and got no response. Their Insta looks quiet as too I think.
Ah no idea to be honest, just remembered the name from somewhere hah

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Let the games begin. I’ve watched a few videos saying do it by hand, but I’m pretty tempted to lightly power sand the first layer off.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
pretty tempted to lightly power sand the first layer off
Like buffing a car. Hand polishing < Random Orbital < Circular
(In order of how easy it is to fuck up your paintwork with it...)

Just be careful on any edges... problem is how many edges there are on a bike frame.

ausdb

Being who he is
So far all you've done is take off the second coat of paint. You've still got the original SC paint job and primer to remove before you get to the carbon....
But once you get rid of this layer you should start to see where it's been repaired.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, just taking off the first coat with 240 grit, once I’m down to the original primer I’ll go to 350. I don’t know shite about sanding but I assume its best to go to soft as opposed to to hard, the opposite to being in the bedroom.
Once I’m mostly showing carbon maybe 6-800 grit to smooth it off?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sanding it down would also give you some clues to the nature of the original damage and possibly the quality of the repairs. You would need to clear coat it with something afterwards though.
Back in about 2006ish I bought a 82' Quadangle (BMX) from the US, when it arrived the paint job that the seller said was a home job smelled like it was done yesterday... probably because he painted it and wrapped it a day later, I smelt a rat and stripped it immediately.

Both frame and Landing Gear fork is still hanging down stairs. PayPal sided with the seller when he said I had broken it after it had arrived, even know it was 3 days after tracking showed it had arrived in Australia and the stripping process showed it had clearly never been built.