Am I a dickhead? Damaged Nomad 4 frame butchering

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Both frame and Landing Gear fork is still hanging down stairs. PayPal sided with the seller when he said I had broken it after it had arrived, even know it was 3 days after tracking showed it had arrived in Australia and the stripping process showed it had clearly never been built.
Geee, that sounds like a crap situation. Is the Quadangle beyond recovery? 82 would be a fine era for a Quadangle if it has the original serial numbers and all.

Landing Forks are super awesome. The Bottema Forks are probably the only other ones I can think of that stand out more.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah it is damaged as shown, still sitting here since 2006. Landing Gear forks are still original from 82 and probably the original with the damaged frame. Bottema are absolutely great forks from that era.

Here is an 81' that I got as a perfect painted red frame... fully stripped and there was a few $$$ of chroming and pads done on this one, CW bars ect... including 100% genuine decals sent to me by Scot Breithaupt himself (SE Racing - Scot Enterprises Racing), I still have the a copy of the original blueprint of the SE Quadangle sent by Scot before he succumbed to heroin.

The grandfather and founder of BMX.

His son Brandon contacted me after he died and asked if all was financially correct... Poor kid was looking after his dads legacy from the grave.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah it is damaged as shown, still sitting here since 2006. Landing Gear forks are still original from 82 and probably the original with the damaged frame. Bottema are absolutely great forks from that era.

Here is an 81' that I got as a perfect painted red frame... fully stripped and there was a few $$$ of chroming and pads done on this one, CW bars ect... including 100% genuine decals sent to me by Scot Breithaupt himself (SE Racing - Scot Enterprises Racing), I still have the a copy of the original blueprint of the SE Quadangle sent by Scot before he succumbed to heroin.

The grandfather and founder of BMX.

His son Brandon contacted me after he died and asked if all was financially correct... Poor kid was looking after his dads legacy from the grave.

View attachment 377393
You will get the urge one day to revive it. Give yourself some time.

Your 81 Quadangle looks perfect. I have always loved the look of them and they just have to be in steel. The alloy ones never looked good.

It was sad how Scot slid down that path. I read he passed away alone in a tent. He really sparked up the while early BMX scene.

I met Stu Thomsen a few years ago at a Bmxpo. We can call it an STR1 if you are keen :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

ozzybmx

I met Stu Thomsen a few years ago at a Bmxpo. We can call it an STR1 if you are keen :)
Awesome !

Stu was a legend... there are a few STR1's about but this one many not be one.

It was nice than Scots son had access to his doings, the young bloke chased up every sale to mke sure it was right.

Ohhh, I really love that Floval. That must be an early one with that integrated seat clamp. Has to be a keeper. Flight cranks too :)

Bummer about parting ways with the ET model. They must go for crazy prices now since I've seen the repros go for around $2k.
All gone...

I sold them all in 2008, 2 x PK Rippers went for about $1500 each, Floval for $1500, ET Kuwa for $1800ish, 2 x Hutch for $1200ish, Supergoose, GT Pro Performer, 1 x Rickman freestyler, 1 x Diamondback silver streak, 4 x Skyways... cant even remember the rest. Would have like a Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo... how Diamond Back have failed.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Awesome !

Stu was a legend... there are a few STR1's about but this one many not be one.

It was nice than Scots son had access to his doings, the young bloke chased up every sale to mke sure it was right.

All gone...

I sold them all in 2008, 2 x PK Rippers went for about $1500 each, Floval for $1500, ET Kuwa for $1800ish, 2 x Hutch for $1200ish, Supergoose, GT Pro Performer, 1 x Rickman freestyler, 1 x Diamondback silver streak, 4 x Skyways... cant even remember the rest. Would have like a Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo... how Diamond Back have failed.
At least SE are still alive but the golden era is long gone.

You had a nice stash there. I was hoping that you needed to room and 'had to sell off the Floval Flyer. Do you still have the urge to build a few more?

I remember the early Diamond Backs and like Mongoose are not much more than big box bikes now.

Any dusty old JMC Black Shadows hanging around behind the lawnmower in the shed you just don't have time for anymore?

ozzybmx

I got rid of them all.. have a few regrets but I ride MTB now.

The change over was when I was 35, I said to the missus... I'm getting a fat chunt, gonna ride this bike up our hill, got about 200m and came back home, told her I needed a MTB with gears, the rest is history.

Sold my BMX stash in 2007 for about 20k+

The man hours that went into them bikes were priceless.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I had 2 x Mongoose motomags, only had the original mags on one, also had a Supergoose II and III all original.

Thats another brand that has fallen hard.
I had motomags originally on my Mongoose but I knocked them out of true. They weighed a tonne.

Graphite Tuff 2's with the Campag hubs is the unicorn for composite wheels IMHO.

ozzybmx

they are all great stories, but let's go back to why you sold the Kuwahara?.....rookie move!
I was on a roll, needed the shed space back at my old house. Would have been nice to keep but once I started selling them, I wanted them all gone.
Even gave some away in the end... ended up with the damaged Quad hanging on the shed wall and a new 2008 Spech Enduro. My old BMX parts drawers and cupboards were empty... though over the next few years would be filled + some with MTB parts and spares.

ausdb

Being who he is
Yeah, just taking off the first coat with 240 grit, once I’m down to the original primer I’ll go to 350. I don’t know shite about sanding but I assume its best to go to soft as opposed to to hard, the opposite to being in the bedroom.
Once I’m mostly showing carbon maybe 6-800 grit to smooth it off?
When I painted a frame for my son last year, 320 was the roughest I used, 400 up to 600 for the majority. Check out ETOE on YouTube for good info.

fastrider gus

super huck
I spent a full week of after work hours in the shed sanding my V10 and it was painfully slow progress. The SC factory paint is tough shit.. switched to the blade technique and did about 75% of the frame in a couple of nights. Just used stanley blades, wasnt too bad in all the tight spots.
Highly reccomend the DNA plastic primer, its a clear finish, awesome if you wanna clear straight over it! The raw weave is lush AF with a gloss coat.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I painted a frame for my son last year, 320 was the roughest I used, 400 up to 600 for the majority. Check out ETOE on YouTube for good info.
Yeah, i watched a few of that guys vids and going off what he recommended it was never my intention to use 240 but the rattle can job on it is so thick 350 wasn’t cutting it. As I’m not going into the carbon I figured 240 is ok, but once I get to the original primer I’ll start upping the number too smooth it out :)

still not sure what the logo colours will be, was originally thinking silver leaf, but there are some pretty cool variegated leaf designs out there......hmmmmm.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some progress, got the worst job out of the way, removing the glue from the tape that was on the down tube. Good thing it was 2mm thick, tacky and only covered the entire down tube :rolleyes:

looks like a deep scratch right at the top of downtube, whilst there isn’t much carbon showing at the moment i haven’t come across anything that looks like a repair, not that I have any idea what I’m looking for, but I’ll guess I’ll know when I see it.