Am I being ripped off?

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Riders, My local shop tells me Giant has cut 09" prices by 10% (Obviously to clear stock). Apparently, the 2010 bikes are coming in cheaper because of the Australian dollar being strong.

However, During a random conversation with his partner a week later, he suggested giant have cut 09' prices by 20% - does anyone personally know a bike shop owner, what is the truth? Cheers, Ricko

DDP

Squid
im not sure how many % they've cut from the pricing?

but, i hear that the 2010 giants (in DH anyway) are getting a new frame design. So they're trying to flick 09 stock coz nobody will want them when the new model is released.

Pretty sure ive seen a glory DH1 for about $4,000 new.

Hope that helps

Maris

Likes Dirt
My LBS has also said they have decreased by around 20%. I guess it would be up to each shop owner on how much of that they pass on though.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A lot of manufacturers will drop their prices at the end of the season to clear their stock. The phrase "END OF SEASON RUN OUT SALE" springs to mind.
No sho powner should refuse a good offer on a 2009 bike unless they paid too much for it in the first place. Sold stock is better than stale stock!

tc2233

Likes Dirt
The bike shop should be able to do better than 10% even 20%. I got my 2009 Giant Anthem X2 a month ago for $2000 and that is more than 20% off.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Guess you've seen on this site how many banners have had discounted 09 bikes, latest was Yeti that had some fairly decent discounts. Also spoke to a distributor who was out of an 09 bike I was looking at and they said new range coming in will be sh1t hot pricing due to the Aus dollar hanging around .80c again.

Those holding on to bikes trying to keep more profit on 09's will only have themselves to blame in 3-6 months when they're stuck with them.

england

Likes Bikes
The giant discount is varied depending on how much stock is ordered, Giant just wants to move old stock due to the price rises this year they have sold much less than previous years, but as has been said every company cuts prices towards the end of the season.

robwa

Likes Dirt
I just did deal on a Giant Trance x2 for 2800 which is about 28% off. Some online sellers are doing about 30%.

The new 2010 bikes will drop in price compared to 09 which will be good. I didnt know how much the price drop was going to be so i bit the bullet.

lappy21

Cannon Fodder
The LBSs here in Canberra are doing 30% of Giant Stock. I just picked up my Reign 1 yesterday for $3000 with pedals! :D
That's cheaper than some people are advertising second hand bikes here on the forum! :confused: