Am I crazy for not wearing a helmet.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Seriously guys, if mountain biking were as god dam fucking dangerous as you guys make out, you wouldn't do it with a helmet let alone without it. And if you cared so much for your safety you'd also all wear full face helmets, body protection and leatt braces, but you don't.

Why is that?

Perhaps because it ain't so stupidly dangerous (hint, why do lots of us ride off-road and not on road), and we all make trade offs - mountain biking been more fun than sitting at home in a safety cocoon for instance
We aren't having a go at OP for not wearing body armour, you can smash yourself up fairly hard with a big OTB, and most likely heal reasonably well with good function,

but it doesn't take much to rattle the brain case, so it's best to protect the bloody thing.

Possibly because the thought of the Dildo-for-brains OP wiping himself out with a severe head injury that might just have been preventable, and rocking on the taxpayer's dime for the rest of his "differently-abled" life

- is severely annoying, at the very least, for many here on RB.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
We aren't having a go at OP for not wearing body armour, you can smash yourself up fairly hard with a big OTB, and most likely heal reasonably well with good function,

but it doesn't take much to rattle the brain case, so it's best to protect the bloody thing.

Possibly because the thought of the Dildo-for-brains OP wiping himself out with a severe head injury that might just have been preventable, and rocking on the taxpayer's dime for the rest of his "differently-abled" life

- is severely annoying, at the very least, for many here on RB.
Nah, you are judging him for questioning something . Not a single piece of data was referenced, but many personal insults were thrown.

Your story of a severely disabled person for a just riding along accident on a fire trail is just a concoction that ACA would be proud of- I bet you can't even find an incidence worldwide of such an outcome - cars are another matter entirely.

Btw, I wear a helmet all the time, I just don't find the need to jump down someone's throats and call them a fuckwit for not doing what I do. This forum needs to relax a little sometimes

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Nah, you are judging him for questioning something . Not a single piece of data was referenced, but many personal insults were thrown.

Your story of a severely disabled person for a just riding along accident on a fire trail is just a concoction that ACA would be proud of- I bet you can't even find an incidence worldwide of such an outcome - cars are another matter entirely.

Btw, I wear a helmet all the time, I just don't find the need to jump down someone's throats and call them a fuckwit for not doing what I do. This forum needs to relax a little sometimes
thumb640x320_pg44-boredom-getty.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Seriously guys, if mountain biking were as god dam fucking dangerous as you guys make out, you wouldn't do it with a helmet let alone without it. And if you cared so much for your safety you'd also all wear full face helmets, body protection and leatt braces, but you don't.

Why is that?

Perhaps because it ain't so stupidly dangerous (hint, why do lots of us ride off-road and not on road), and we all make trade offs - mountain biking been more fun than sitting at home in a safety cocoon for instance
If you have ever had a large crash of any sort involving speed, you will know that your head works like a large pendulum. No matter how much you stiffen up, it smashes on the ground with a lot of force and it's just as easy to say that there's not enough evidence that helmets do aid in protection. I rode in the era of no helmets and I can tell you the feeling of hitting the ground without one is a lot more painful.

I didn't personally tell anyone to ride with a helmet but I'm going to tell people that I wouldn't ride without one. Your brain holds the workings of your whole body and without that you pretty well fucked. You shatter your knee joint you can still breath and talk but shatter your skull the outcome might be slightly different.

Last edited:

bear the bear

Is a real bear

No he's being judged for asking for advice then blatantly ignoring it and coming across as a troll with the subsequent responses....
From the anecdotical evidence in this thread and others it is that some of the worst injuries are caused at slow speeds because of lack of momentum.
I've personally crashed more times than i can count over the last 25 years, lost metres of skin on the road, but the worst crashes have been OTB on the MTB.
I reckon with hand on heart, that the helmet has probably saved me four times from serious head trauma.

OT: The AS building code requires fall protection from anything above 1.1m. Think about that in the context of MTB's in terms of both rider height and also speed combined....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
No he's being judged for asking for advice then blatantly ignoring it and coming across as a troll with the subsequent responses....
From the anecdotical evidence in this thread and others it is that some of the worst injuries are caused at slow speeds because of lack of momentum.
I've personally crashed more times than i can count over the last 25 years, lost metres of skin on the road, but the worst crashes have been OTB on the MTB.
I reckon with hand on heart, that the helmet has probably saved me four times from serious head trauma.

OT: The AS building code requires fall protection from anything above 1.1m. Think about that in the context of MTB's in terms of both rider height and also speed combined....
Poodle, for all jumps you now need a hand rail to comply with building regs. And a lollipop man.

Why is that?

You must be from farkin. Thanks for presenting my point of view so astutely.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Poodle, for all jumps you now need a hand rail to comply with building regs. And a lollipop man.
Way to miss the point..... zooooooooommmmmm

If the standards in a static situation require prevention/arrest @ 1.1m, why in a dynamic situation where the fall potential combined with speed poses a further adverse outcome would you look at removing the one essential/compulsory piece of safety equipment to mitigate the risk?

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
You must be from farkin. Thanks for presenting my point of view so astutely.

Get banned back in the farkin days hence new account?

For someone so familiar with farkin and all the threads on helmets, wear one or don't arguments why start another?

What was your previous account name or names?

Get banned back in the farkin days hence new account?

For someone so familiar with farkin and all the threads on helmets, wear one or don't arguments why start another?

What was your previous account name or names?
MC.Nuget
Only made a new account because tapatalk.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

What you earnestly believe isn't evidence.

The most optimistic evidence is that Helmets reduce head injuries by fifty percent for all cycling crashes , you can do the maths.

Your chances of significant head injury overall are exceedingly low while on a bike (far more likely at work, or as a pedestrian or in a car). i bet no one on this thread chooses the safest possible helmet they can, they choose a compromise, same as the OP, looking to compromise for him, not for any one else

bear the bear

Is a real bear
What you earnestly believe isn't evidence.
You have no idea what I have walked away from but you keep chucking that out there....

i bet no one on this thread chooses the safest possible helmet they can, they choose a compromise, same as the OP, looking to compromise for him, not for any one else
Again speak for yourself I value my life. I trash helmets every 12-18 months whether they need it or not. I don't compromise on my safety....

stirk

Burner
You have no idea what I have walked away from but you keep chucking that out there....

Again speak for yourself I value my life. I trash helmets every 12-18 months whether they need it or not. I don't compromise on my safety....
Not to mention your wife, how's she going? Must be all healed by now?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Read up then on full face versus xc helmet, then add ventilation versus not. A motorcycle helmet is orders of magnitude safer - you could probably test it safely yourself as a crash test dummy versus a brick wall - if you do, put it on video.

Plenty of people have children that became Autistic soon after a MMR vaccine, they are convinced also that one caused the other, yet they are wrong; it's just the way the world is

stirk

Burner
MC.Nuget
Only made a new account because tapatalk.

Interesting that MC.Nuget is online right now and his post history small and lame, full of typo and poor grammer. Seems like you have learnt how to speel and put together a sentance, good for you, no major brain damage yet!