Am I crazy for not wearing a helmet.

mc.nuget

Banned
Interesting that MC.Nuget is online right now and his post history small and lame, full of typo and poor grammer. Seems like you have learnt how to speel and put together a sentance, good for you, no major brain damage yet!
Like i said, Tapatalk made a new account on my behalf. Havent used this forum since i was like 15.

Edit: Also, 'speel'...?

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Mate's account, not me.
Is this you?

[video=youtube;71DIT6hYXYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DIT6hYXYo[/video]

She's healed, happy and back riding... thx for asking
Good to hear Mr bear, imagine what might have happened if she was not wearing a helmet.

Like i said, Tapatalk made a new account on my behalf. Havent used this forum since i was like 15.

Edit: Also, 'speel'...?
Hook line and sinker!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Poodle, for all jumps you now need a hand rail to comply with building regs. And a lollipop man.
I'm going to get some pegs and learn to grind!

MC.Nuget
Only made a new account because tapatalk.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Ooooh like the rapper? Are you a rapper dude?

Don't forget max_shredor2.
What happened to max_shredor v1? Did the ninja turtles get him? They could rap you know? Just like MC Nugget. All the kids are into him...he is whack. No not whack...Ummmm...frontin'...uuuuhhh shit...Wylin! That's it. He is wylin.

Look at this thread getting all leatt neck brace. Do I buy a helmet or not?????

I simply put this out there for you farmer, helmets are required to meet an Australian standard, or EU or American and probably a bunch of other countries or ecominc zones standards too. That standard represents protection against some level of impact. I suggest we book a tour of the testing factory and we can ask them all our favourite questions and really put this shit to bed...

dunndog

Eats Squid
Is this you?

[video=youtube;71DIT6hYXYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DIT6hYXYo[/video]

Good to hear Mr bear, imagine what might have happened if she was not wearing a helmet.

Hook line and sinker!
Dont need to imagine, there's always others who can tell you based on articles and statistics.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Way to miss the point..... zooooooooommmmmm

If the standards in a static situation require prevention/arrest @ 1.1m, why in a dynamic situation where the fall potential combined with speed poses a further adverse outcome would you look at removing the one essential/compulsory piece of safety equipment to mitigate the risk?
Sorry dude, was taking the piss.

I was trying to inject a dose of sarcasm with a pinch of irony using a photo of poodle mid way through a 5m jump. This might be Poodles "just cruising" style, while it's another's balls to the wall.

Helmet = yes
Neck brace = No (despite an Enduro bike being abused)
Launching ramp built to BCA = No, hand rails are missing. Unsure how the handrail on the jump exit would work. Going to need a consultant for this.
Traffic controller with a slow/stop lolly pop sign= No
Planning permit from the relevant authorities = no comment your honour

loc81

Likes Dirt
How many of you ALWAYS wear one?
To answer your questions, yes I always wear one and yes you are crazy.
What's with the farkin flashbacks? That was 10 years ago surely!
Dunno about you but I'm self employed, house, family etc. so I chuck on some light duty pads too. Anything could happen out on the bike at any time, at any speed- I can't stop every injury but I can at least try and minimise the damage.
I look at it like this-
I've never needed a seatbelt but I always wear it. I've never fallen down a flight of stairs but I'm still glad there's a handrail close by.
As for a helmet being uncomfortable or restrictive? I've got a mongrel head so I need to try on a shitload of them in store to find one that fits, so get out to a big store and be a pesky customer!

To answer your questions, yes I always wear one and yes you are crazy.
What's with the farkin flashbacks? That was 10 years ago surely!
Dunno about you but I'm self employed, house, family etc. so I chuck on some light duty pads too. Anything could happen out on the bike at any time, at any speed- I can't stop every injury but I can at least try and minimise the damage.
I look at it like this-
I've never needed a seatbelt but I always wear it. I've never fallen down a flight of stairs but I'm still glad there's a handrail close by.
As for a helmet being uncomfortable or restrictive? I've got a mongrel head so I need to try on a shitload of them in store to find one that fits, so get out to a big store and be a pesky customer!
Thanks for replying to the question.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Sorry dude, was taking the piss.

I was trying to inject a dose of sarcasm with a pinch of irony using a photo of poodle mid way through a 5m jump. This might be Poodles "just cruising" style, while it's another's balls to the wall.
r
Can safely say that is my "Oh god I'm gonna die" style. :peep:

safreek

Seriously guys, if mountain biking were as god dam fucking dangerous as you guys make out, you wouldn't do it with a helmet let alone without it. And if you cared so much for your safety you'd also all wear full face helmets, body protection and leatt braces, but you don't.

Why is that?

Perhaps because it ain't so stupidly dangerous (hint, why do lots of us ride off-road and not on road), and we all make trade offs - mountain biking been more fun than sitting at home in a safety cocoon for instance
yeah, I did a bit of riding the other day without helmet, quite liberating and felt damn good. only xc though

safreek

I forgot my helmet riding to school with my daughter yesterday, felt like an anarchist!
bloody oath, I was the only one out n the track helmetless and felt the rebel, I must admit that I had a beanie on for protection so that would of helped soften any blows :hat:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty confident riding without a helmet on easy xc where the wheels stay on the ground. Only at 60-70% effort. I still wear one out of habit but in terms of real risk, it's a bit over the top..
I have never had a jra accident where I hit my head, but have cracked three helmets binning it while pushing my limits. I had a mate that went otb when his chain snapped when standing up peddling hard on bitumen. He took a nice gauge out of his helmet.. but.., thats it.
The issue that shits me about the whole helmet debate is common sense. Anyone who rides mtbs knows the value of a good helmet, but a riding at 10kmh up the fire road without one isn't crazy.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Anyone who rides mtbs knows the value of a good helmet, but a riding a 10kmh up the fire road without one isn't crazy.
I used to feel the same way until someone pointed out to me the joys of gum forrest 'spears'. When it gets windy these spear-shaped bits of branches break off and hang in the trees, ready to fall off at any moment over the next few weeks or months, hitting terminal velocity and potentially penetrating your skull. I see them all the time littering the trails, which is a genuine cause for concern whether riding or trail building.

I guess some fire trails have no overhanging trees at all, so you're only risking miscellaneous debris from space junk or small meteorites.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to feel the same way until someone pointed out to me the joys of gum forrest 'spears'. When it gets windy these spear-shaped bits of branches break off and hang in the trees, ready to fall off at any moment over the next few weeks or months, hitting terminal velocity and potentially penetrating your skull. I see them all the time littering the trails, which is a genuine cause for concern whether riding or trail building.

I guess some fire trails have no overhanging trees at all, so you're only risking miscellaneous debris from space junk or small meteorites.
Are you talking about 'Widow makers'? Yeah they are all over the place. Another reason why gums are such such shit weed tree.. (that debate for another time). Anyway, no helmet will save you from a big one of them. Yes the sharp sticks can stab and are a very real risk.. Each person weighs it up differently though. Bush walkers don't wear helmets for example.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Are you talking about 'Widow makers'? Yeah they are all over the place. Another reason why gums are such such shit weed tree.. (that debate for another time). Anyway, no helmet will save you from a big one of them. Yes the sharp sticks can stab and are a very real risk.. Each person weighs it up differently though. Bush walkers don't wear helmets for example.
Yep, Widow Makers. Couldn't agree more re the shitness of gum trees, give me any other kind of forrest any day, especially for riding bikes or building trails and not having to rake them every other week...

I wonder how many bush walkers or joggers actually get nailed by the spears?

stirk

Burner
I ride xc fire trail at 60kph, +, great fun until goanna!

Go hard or go home, hopefully not with a massive brain trauma.

Happy trails people's, you never know what can happen, just wear a helmet because they work.

Close thread.