An Open Letter To Chain Reaction Cycles

teK--

Eats Squid
car industry is now 5% import duty I think, but you will notice that a BMW that competes directly with an R36 VW in europe is 70% more expensive in australia, as is mercedes and audi. Regrettably, the business model of raping Aussies because we are dumb enough to think that we get what we pay for is across many industries.

At heart, I think there is a whole lot of xenophobia here
The RHD market for Euro cars is much smaller than LHD. The extra tooling and reduced economies of scale makes a big difference in price.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Sure??
Hmmmm. I have had countless bike parts parcels of all sorts of value delivered by Fedex and other couriers and never been charged GST or duty. My $1800 bike frame from the UK came straight to the door courtesy of a courier....
Well, you've been warned!

Fedex have got me every time from the US. I think I have had a frame delivered from the UK by courier without having to pay GST+. I've heard others say the same thing so I don't know why these inconsistencies are there...perhaps they're ex-bank employees? All I know is everything I've had sent in the last 12 months by courier I paid GST+ and this is what is supposed to happen.

You clearly have an agenda to push here. What LBS are you running? No normal person would ask to pay more tax.
exactly! other countries need to share the tax free love too!

LBS owners aren't owed anything by the scene, they do not deserve your patronage merely by being in existence, they still need to earn your dollars with a combination of good service, having relevant stock, and reasonable prices. which is not something that I have seen from many LBS.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The RHD market for Euro cars is much smaller than LHD. The extra tooling and reduced economies of scale makes a big difference in price.
The UK is in Europe, has RHD cars, and pays similar prices to Germany. Also it doesnt explain why VW have no problem selling their top end passat's for $50k less than a 335i, which are only a couple of thousand cheaper in the UK. Its the same thing with shimano in ox - much highre prices here, while other distros dont seem to have to do that- - eg look at giant or KS

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Perhaps the LBS is already dying in the eastern states. So many disgruntled customers here.
I can think of at least 5 first class bike shops in Perth inner city that provide reliable efficient service.
You guys seem to take your bikes to shit ones hence feel no need to support them. We have shit ones here too I just don't take my bikes there!

I have no agenda but I pay alot of tax so that makes you a bit more aware about what that is being used for.
It feels great to see this used to assist disadvantaged people, but it shits you to see people avoid paying it in the purchase of luxury items.
Online shopping is here to stay, so I think its the governments responsibility to keep the grass roots Australian small business competitive by applying appropriate levels of duty on imports.

Pharmaboy - you troll far and wide with your delusions of grandeur. I suggest you be careful with your accusations.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really disagree that it's the government's job to keep business competitive.

Fair pricing and good service should be the reason LBS' are competitive.

Yes there should be some taxation/import duty but that should not be the sole reason for local business's competitiveness.

Otherwise the LBS can offer poor service at a poor price and we'll just have to suck it up.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I seem to remember a little bit of discussion at the time whether or not to accept their advertising.
There may well have been (I can't actually recall), as there would be with all business considerations, that's just common sense.

At least Holmes (mis directed or not) has stuck to his guns.
I can't see how sticking to your guns when you're getting things wrong is a good thing, especially in business.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Pharmaboy - you troll far and wide with your delusions of grandeur. I suggest you be careful with your accusations.
What accusations? What, that the argument against crc is xenophobic? It seems you have misconstrued an argument against your position as a slur, then make a threat ? - interesting turn of events that is....

Mate it's a free world with free right to an opinion, of you take that to mean a personal insult, that's your choice, but it's a word that fits the argument- its the basis of protectionism - that somehow an Aussie worker is more valuable than an Irish or English workers job. The economic situation is far worse in both countries compared to here, so if a couple of score of jobs go to them - all good.

If Aussie online businesses want to complain , they should be complaining about the outrageous cost of shopping things overseas- that's where the uk gets its competitive advantage . Wiggle don't even want returns back from aus in my experience - the shipping is 4* uk to aus to go back

Truth is bikes are half the price they were 10years ago, and parts are also half the price but only if you buy them online- I spend miles more on parts than I ever did before because they are cheaper now- the pie is bigger and lbs are still out there selling built up bikes witch strangely are quite good value here in oz compared to parts

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
You goob... You surely know nothing about the subject, but you're happy to continue that dribble so other people, who are equally ignorant, perpetuate it and so on. Wise up! I suppose it's in our convict blood to be expected we can't succeed and deserved to be shat on.
Lucky currencies dont think like that. Our strong dollar is in the drivers seat, so you piss poor LBS's take note or you'll be eating dog food and jobless. If your smart, but probably not as your heads still buried in the sand, you should be adapting.
But I just stack shelves at woollies..

Last edited:

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I have no agenda but I pay alot of tax so that makes you a bit more aware about what that is being used for.
You pay a lot of tax, therefore you earn a lot of money. You strike me as an ignorant elitist who cares nothing for the people who just want to enjoy their sport, and not expect to be bent over by the LBS's in both service and cost. :nono:

Go wash your mouth out with Aesop.

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
This is not as convoluted an argument as it's become. Seems as though everyone has an opinion, just for the sake of having one.

If CRC are doing a good job, which they have been for quite a while, then support it, if it fits your needs. if your LBS is doing a good job, then support it, if it fits your needs. Don't support bad business, wether online or local, if it puts you out of time and money. Do what ever feels and is right for what you require, we shouldn't preach.

If LBS's conduct good business, they will get support. One in particular has mine, but if they didn't do such a good job, they wouldn't.

Why not name the businesses that are doing fine work, so others can be aware and support them? Then this perpetuating problem of bad service and issues might begin to subside, as sub standard outlets will no longer be doing business, if you do something poorly, why should it be done?

Yarra Valley Cycles does a great job. I will gladly support what they have been doing, have done and what they are trying to achieve. I drive an hour out of the CBD to go there as they employ great mechanics, good service staff, they ride, they support local riders and races. they stock good parts and are fair on pricing.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Online shopping is here to stay, so I think its the governments responsibility to keep the grass roots Australian small business competitive by applying appropriate levels of duty on imports.
No, this is not China, it is not the govt's responsibility to keep local business competitive, that's local business' responsibility. Of course, we can cite the bail out of the motor industry here, but that is not a simple deal. Firstly, the govt is doing this for electoral benefits, not because the govt is supposed to control the economy. Secondly, there is an argument to make that heavy industry like this is relative to defence industry and national security in times of war. I'd suggest it was more the former argument than the latter that prevailed, though. It was argued by many that the govt should not have been interfering in the market as it did.

This is not as convoluted an argument as it's become. Seems as though everyone has an opinion, just for the sake of having one.
Ok, I'll bite. The argument you're making here has been basically made by a number of people here, in similar simple terms. So I'd suggest that given you are only repeating what has already been laid out it is actually you who is voicing an opinion just for the sake of voicing it.

scblack

Leucocholic
Well, you've been warned!

Fedex have got me every time from the US. I think I have had a frame delivered from the UK by courier without having to pay GST+. I've heard others say the same thing so I don't know why these inconsistencies are there...perhaps they're ex-bank employees? All I know is everything I've had sent in the last 12 months by courier I paid GST+ and this is what is supposed to happen.
The last 12months or so, I have bought from UK a high end carbon roadie frame, and road group set, separately. Both couriered for my security, as they are expensive items. Neither attracted duty or GST.

Not FedEx.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
The last 12months or so, I have bought from UK a high end carbon roadie frame, and road group set, separately. Both couriered for my security, as they are expensive items. Neither attracted duty or GST.

Not FedEx.
Carbon and Aluminum Frames have some sort of Tariff concession so no duty (see below). Don't know much about it, was told by a friend who works at DHL. I just got a Ti frame sent over from the UK and got hit with a 5% charge!

TCO REVOKED
PARTS, BICYCLE, FRAME, comprising BOTH of the following:
(a) carbon fibre;
(b) aluminium
Op. 11.01.10 Dec. date 22.03.10 - TC 1001848

Order revoked - Transcription error - See TC1014651
N/A

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Carbon and Aluminum Frames have some sort of Tariff concession so no duty (see below). Don't know much about it, was told by a friend who works at DHL. I just got a Ti frame sent over from the UK and got hit with a 5% charge!

TCO REVOKED
PARTS, BICYCLE, FRAME, comprising BOTH of the following:
(a) carbon fibre;
(b) aluminium
Op. 11.01.10 Dec. date 22.03.10 - TC 1001848

Order revoked - Transcription error - See TC1014651
N/A
The customs regulations change a bit but regardless of whether the item attracts any duty, GST is still due (on the cost of the item + freight costs) and there's also a customs charge for processing it. That tariff concession was granted a few years back then revoked then reinstated after an uproar by the cycling industry and I think it has now been revoked again. But like I said regardless of that GST and customs processing fees still need to be collected why they are not in some instances I can only put down to incompetence - they've probably outsourced the tariff calculation and collection offshore :lol:

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
No, this is not China, it is not the govt's responsibility to keep local business competitive, that's local business' responsibility. Of course, we can cite the bail out of the motor industry here, but that is not a simple deal. Firstly, the govt is doing this for electoral benefits, not because the govt is supposed to control the economy. Secondly, there is an argument to make that heavy industry like this is relative to defence industry and national security in times of war. I'd suggest it was more the former argument than the latter that prevailed, though. It was argued by many that the govt should not have been interfering in the market as it did.

Ok, I'll bite. The argument you're making here has been basically made by a number of people here, in similar simple terms. So I'd suggest that given you are only repeating what has already been laid out it is actually you who is voicing an opinion just for the sake of voicing it.
Right you are then. Sorry I said anything. Everyone, over to this guy.

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
I understand the view that a Business like CRC are killing LBS!!! But the problem is that stores like CRC, Torpedo7, Wiggle, JensonUSA etc are offering a service for stock which you can not get for the price from your local LBS!!!

BUT

I wouldn't buy a new bike from them I buy from my local LBS and to say that I purchased my new DH bike 4 weeks ago gave $3500 to my local shop, I did spend a further $400 from CRC on upgrade parts!!!
And I will do this again in May when I purchase a new AM bike...