An Orange called Don

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Built identically, orange should be lighter. They’re always the lightest ‘like for like’ alloy bikes in my stable.
Banshee and transition don’t exactly make light bikes though.
Giant frames have been pretty light for awhile now, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is lighter than the orange.

moorey

call me Mia
Banshee and transition don’t exactly make light bikes though.
Giant frames have been pretty light for awhile now, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is lighter than the orange.
May be. Wasn’t only comparing to the banshee and tranny. Banshee are never a light bike. Everyone I know who buys an orange comments on how light they build up.
From what I recall though, the builds on Haakers bikes were very different. Can’t compare lemons and oranges.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My Trance is a carbon one. Carbon rims too. It’s 12.3kg if memory serves.

But the Trance is more suited to XC stuff as it’s older school geometry - steeper fork and slacker seat.

Haakon

Few rides in now, slowly dialling it in. Every time i pick it up it feels like it weighs a bloody tonne - but once on the move its pretty light on its feet.

Had a brake fluid leak at the front caliper that got fluid on the pads, so a bit of blowtorch action on the pads this morning. Doh... Hope they come good.

Am running the rear shock quite soft which it seems happy with, dont think its bottomed out yet in a bad way. But then again im not exactly full sending shit yet!

Fork angle is a thing - you have to hold it straight, it wants to constantly turn. Which pretty damn fun on the switchback descents, less fun for the long slogs back up again. But the matching steep seat angle makes it decent at climbing. This new fangled geo thing does seem to work.

Hope i can get the Deore crank on it for next weekend, although I confess i have been enjoying the 30 tooth crank for lugging my unfit arse up the hills..

Haakon

Got the Deore crankset on at last and went back to clips. So much better!

With my current skills/fitness/testicular fortitude, good to ride clips again and be able to pin it properly. Waaaay faster.

But wasn’t shifting cleanly into the big cog and I realised I set the chain wrong.. assembled it on autopilot like every other chain I’ve ever installed, forgetting Shimano 12 speed has a different method to set chain length. So of course it’s two links too short... New chain time, and this time I’ll not throw out the links I trim and use them to elongate this one.

And am already pondering rear shock options - think basic Fox Float is a bit underdone in this application. Coil?

Ultra Lord

Got the Deore crankset on at last and went back to clips. So much better!

With my current skills/fitness/testicular fortitude, good to ride clips again and be able to pin it properly. Waaaay faster.

But wasn’t shifting cleanly into the big cog and I realised I set the chain wrong.. assembled it on autopilot like every other chain I’ve ever installed, forgetting Shimano 12 speed has a different method to set chain length. So of course it’s two links too short... New chain time, and this time I’ll not throw out the links I trim and use them to elongate this one.

And am already pondering rear shock options - think basic Fox Float is a bit underdone in this application. Coil?
DPX2?

Haakon

Or that. Have a DPX2 on the trance, alas its a trunnion so wont fit the Orange... Must say the whole rear end on the Trance is super good, I never even notice it working.

The Orange sure is more lively and it sure is fun though! I am bottoming it out on comfortable pressures, and after a run down Pork Barrel it got quite hot!

Ultra Lord

Or that. Have a DPX2 on the trance, alas its a trunnion so wont fit the Orange... Must say the whole rear end on the Trance is super good, I never even notice it working.

The Orange sure is more lively and it sure is fun though! I am bottoming it out on comfortable pressures, and after a run down Pork Barrel it got quite hot!
Might be worth getting something with a piggyback reservoir.
More oil=less heat and they should have more adjustments.

If your bottoming out an air shock too much already I wouldn’t go coil.

Any volume spacers installed?

moorey

call me Mia
Haven’t run a coil since 2004, but my experience with oranges and air shocks....sometimes basic works better. Piggyback yes, but a lower volume tune to ramp up and stop them blowing through travel. I tried a 190mm CCDBA on my Five, tuned to bike, didn’t like it at all. Now back to a basic older FloatX and it is a ton better. Alpine runs a monarch RT3+, but non debonaire. Tried the Deb, prefer non. Also tried a 216mm CCDBA on it....better than the Five, but still didn’t play well.
Are the new Fives still 190x50?

moorey

call me Mia
Might be worth getting something with a piggyback reservoir.
More oil=less heat and they should have more adjustments.

If your bottoming out an air shock too much already I wouldn’t go coil.

Any volume spacers installed?
Defs a PB. Can loan a tester if right sized.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How big is this pork barrel descent? You might just be overthinking all this rear shock business...or you need a big fat arse air shock. The old ccdba was once my go to dh air shock. DVO have some good options. Whatever you do, it need stop match the quality of your bike.

Can you pin point what it was about the ccdba you didn't like @moorey ? I've not used on on a single pivot, but found them nice on four bar and maestro (delicious).

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

Pork Barrel is rather close to prime hard tail territory, if your shock is getting hot (outside of what would be considered normal temperatures) then something needs tending to, increase spring pressure, install volume reducers, revised tune, etc.

moorey

call me Mia
How big is this pork barrel descent? You might just be overthinking all this rear shock business...or you need a big fat arse air shock. The old ccdba was once my go to dh air shock. DVO have some good options. Whatever you do, it need stop match the quality of your bike.

Can you pin point what it was about the ccdba you didn't like @moorey ? I've not used on on a single pivot, but found them nice on four bar and maestro (delicious).
I love them on banshees and the tranny. I put it down to the higher volume on the particular suspension arc of an orange. Nothing scientific, and YMMV, but just felt a lot harsher. I think I was running a bit higher pressure to stop it blowing through travel.

Haakon

Haven’t run a coil since 2004, but my experience with oranges and air shocks....sometimes basic works better. Piggyback yes, but a lower volume tune to ramp up and stop them blowing through travel. I tried a 190mm CCDBA on my Five, tuned to bike, didn’t like it at all. Now back to a basic older FloatX and it is a ton better. Alpine runs a monarch RT3+, but non debonaire. Tried the Deb, prefer non. Also tried a 216mm CCDBA on it....better than the Five, but still didn’t play well.
Are the new Fives still 190x50?
That’s good feedback, cheers. Makes sense about the way it ramps up.

To be fair I should spend a shit tonne more time on it before deciding on what’s wrong :)

It’s a 190x45 according to the orange website.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve got a spare monarch rt3+, but it’s 190x50. They’ve been that size since about 2001 up until just recently. If that 5mm isn’t going to cause issues you can try it out.
Alternatively I have a floatX 184x44. Would he like running offset shock bushes....which I do in all my oranges.

Haakon

I’ve got a spare monarch rt3+, but it’s 190x50. They’ve been that size since about 2001 up until just recently. If that 5mm isn’t going to cause issues you can try it out.
Alternatively I have a floatX 184x44. Would he like running offset shock bushes....which I do in all my oranges.
Thanks for that, once I’ve properly gotten the hang of it and really understood what’s it’s going I’ll start playing with that :)