And booo to you too Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1, i agree with Socket, avatar theives suck, it's no better than internet photography theft(removing the photgraphers logo and adding yours). If finding a pic and resizing it is too hard then go without.

2, why lock Sockets thread ? You weren't involved, you didn't have to follow it's progress if you don't like it. let those who want to say something say it. Isn't that what PUBLIC forums are all about ?? And don't give me this "it's a MTB site" bullshit after your elephant post yesterday.

3, could someone please tell me what my mate Dinsy actually said to get banned ? I admit he can be a smartass and all but he's not like that all the time, he's actually a pretty smart fella but, i'd really just like to know what he said.

4, over moderated forums suck. over active moderaters suck. Thats the primary reason so many people left Ridemonkey. Not just the banned guys, a whole bunch or respectable members also chose to leave as soon as there was another site to got to because of the bullshit moderaters. Keep it up and see what happens for yourself.

5, if your not gonna let people voice their opinions(even in the off topic discussion on a public board) you may aswell ban me right now too as i have a habit of voicing my opinion regularly. And in my opinion some of the stuff that goes on around here is quite stupid. like there are 2 threads discussing tight cloths on DHers, one of these threads is so politically incorrect that if greenies ever saw it they be protesting at your front door. this is apparently fine yet Socket posting about stolen avatars is frowned upon. so is this a public forum or the toowoomba boys clubs ??

My opinion has been voiced, do what you will.

Weasel

Likes Dirt
Freedom of speech?
Freedom of expression?
Freedom of choice?

A forum where riders can talk about issues concerning other riders and other things besides?
If anything like that is going to be repressed then im with you Gutty.

So boot me to if you dare.

Weasel

Likes Dirt
I think we might have set a powder keg alight here.

God knows some drones dont like having there toes stamped on by people exercising there rights.

Ty

Eats Squid
yeah can someone fill me in on what happened, i saw Dinsys post, made a HCOR possie stepping up call then went riding. missed the whole bloody thing.

G

Im with you with the freedom of speech thing Gutty. But the avatar stealing is something that cannot be stopped

CHEWY

Eats Squid
http://www.farkin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1986

thats one of the threads Ty
and im with Gutty, this forum is over moderated, but then again sites like pinkbike dont get moderated at all and they suck. if a thread has an intelligent conversation happening i dont see why it should be locked, if its just crap by all means lock it...

G

me and socket wernt hurting anyone with what we were saying...

SOCKET - I apologise for things i said last night that might of been offensive or something. Please accept my apologies.

G

yeah that F@#%ed your mum thing was out of line. But who am I to say whats out of line

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Ok, just to clear some thing up... I have to apologise. I will admit that I perhaps at times I get a bit over the top with my moderation, its a hard job to be consistant. I've been a bit more pro-active in moderation in the last few days as I feel that some of the content seems to be slipping (note: *some*). I'm not sure who banned Dinsy, the first wind I caught of anything was what seemed to me to be the start of a shitfight (in sockets thread). So rather than let it dribble on I tried to stop it there. Not following up on the whole ordeal I acted without as much insight into the situation as I should have.

I don't want to start a me vs the community type of thing, so in future I'll do my homework. Sorry guys..

DOM

Eats Squid
ok i had the wrong guy ..
ive removed my postings hhaha

i thought Gutty was talking about the other guy who posted something about chomp chomp chomp

Ryan

Radministrator
Yeah, what Dom said pretty much.
He logged on and started posting topics about people stealing his avatar, I locked the first one, told him if he had a problem he should email an admin.
The topic was locked because it held nothing of interest to anyone in the forum bar "Dinsy" and the course of action he should take to redress his grievances was clearly stated.
He started another one, so I deleted his first one, locked the second so he started another one which was also locked etc etc.
It doesn't take much common sense to realise that when an admin tells you "talk to an admin" you should "talk to an admin" rather than spamming the forum with threads whinging that someone stole your avatar.
We're not trying to step on people's toes or censor free speech, but we are trying to keep the content of this board somewhat intelligent. If this amounts to some over-moderation of those who post stupid crap, then so be it, at least we're not having "You're hucks not 10 foot" arguments and flame wars like other boards.
I banned Dinsy to stop him spamming the main forum, in my opinion, 4 topics on the same thing AFTER you've been told to contact an admin about your problem/whinge is unacceptable, he's off the banlist now, so if he can come back in and act with a modicum of maturity I'm sure he'll be welcome.

DOM

Eats Squid
arrrr So i did have the right guy .. damm i wish i could of posted back my speech.

Did Dinsy rename himself and come back with that May the rains of fire burn down on your Madison square garden crap CHOMPCHOMPCHOMPCHOMP stuff ? if so .. He deversed to banned.

S.

ex offender
Fuzzy said:
me and socket wernt hurting anyone with what we were saying...

SOCKET - I apologise for things i said last night that might of been offensive or something. Please accept my apologies.
No worries dude, I'm sorry for any personal comments I made too.

You can't just say "you guys stop arguing or else you're out". That does nothing cept leave the people pissed off, it has to be dealt with at some point, in some way or another. Yes, it has to be kept civil, but effectively telling people to shuddup, piss off and don't come back doesn't exactly do that.

Saying that Dinsy's post held nothing of interest to anyone but him is quite obviously bullshit, look at how many people have posted in this thread and the last one. Wow, all these completely uninterested people :roll:

I honestly think that this was a case of "this guy looks dodgy, he's out". I find it hard to believe that anyone could deserve banning within their first three posts on the board. Yes, what he said was probably inflammatory, but telling him to shut it and talk to the admins (who really had nothing to do with the entire issue as apparently they don't know any of the people involved at all - what could/would you guys have done?) is adding fuel to the fire.

Ryan

Radministrator
Unfortunately, you miss one important point Socket, that being that one someone is acting as Dinsy was, the only method of control we as admins can excercise is to ban them. Fair enough, it was probably a harsh (if temporary) ban, but he was told how it could be sorted out and instead decided to ignore that.
When someone starts spamming like that, something has to be done to stop it. If they're not going to listen and stop it themselves then they're going to have to cop a ban.
Don't try and somehow come to the conclusion that because people are talking about our ban policy here that they were somehow interested in Dinsy's avatar woes, as that my friend is FECIOUS reasoning :)
There is no God-given right for any and all idiots out there to post in a community we provide out of the goodness of our hearts (see any advertising on this site?) there is however a right for us to set a minimum acceptable standard for those who post here to adhere to and if people can't accept that then yes, they will be moderated, banned or told to get farked.

S.

ex offender
Listening and reasoning tends to work (and with him, it does - I know). You don't have to try and stamp your authority over everyone. Just personally, I wouldn't consider 3 posts "spamming".

Oh, and if you're going to try and be a smartarse about "fecious" - there's no such word.

Ryan

Radministrator
Three threads after the original one was locked, not three posts, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Three threads, one after the other, on the same topic within 5 minutes of each other, is spamming. He was given the option to act sensibly and explain his position to someone, he chose to take the "idiot" route and as such he got banned.

S.

ex offender
ahhh why did the website go down?

Why exactly is it that he should have told the admins instead of posting threads? Why couldn't this be a public discussion? Plagiarising other people's stuff doesn't hurt to be discussed in public. What exactly would/could you have done to resolve the situation if he HAD pm'd you?

And are you really surprised that if you locked/deleted a thread within 5 minutes of him posting it, that he'd post follow ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.