AM And the winner is..Nomad 4cc

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Getting some training in before the Stromlo enduro mid month. Gotta get fit enough to get up the hill a few times.
The suspension seemed quite composed (I had the rear shock fully open) whilst sitting down going up the hill, my mate who road it on the weekend thought it was a slug up the hills, but so far, on the road it feels more efficient then the Patrol.

Got my Saint brake back from shimano, they didn't manage to fix it so it's at the LBS getting pulled apart, sticky lever.

IMG_9397.JPG

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
image.jpeg
So, first mini ride, not a heap to report as its a short, step loose track I don't know very well. The fire road climb up is a total bitch, steep and long covered in loose rocks. I was very happy with the Nomads climbing, with the shock in the open position and sitting down and pedalling it barely moved. The patrol had more bob.
Hopefully the next few days I can get it on some tracks i know and get it up to speed.
So far so good!

And LBS couldn't fix my brake lever, but they did make it a bit better.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Is that a 6Fattie Enduro?
Have you got the lockout for the rear on a grip shift yet?
Have you done much with suspension setup in general?

I absolutely love the seatstays on the Nomad, really reminiscent of the Nicolai's in having the big, squared, long tubes that extend all the way up to the linkage. The bike makes those MRP's look small though. They look a little more from the Pike/34 rather than the Lyric/36 end of the gene pool.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
36 isnt that chunky looking though :( especially since they made them narrower than the old ones.

Z

Zaf

36 isnt that chunky looking though :( especially since they made them narrower than the old ones.
It can vary a little depending on the bike it's on and the angle it's photo'd from.
SR Suntour Durolux is unbeatable when it comes to "looking big"; thing is beastly, even in it's slimming, all black get up.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah I can see how, they look wicked on dirt jump bikes, but looks normal on my scout. Deffinately looks better than the weird offset pike I had on

Would you go for a durolux from a 36 RC2 though?

Z

Zaf

Would you go for a durolux from a 36 RC2 though?
Exactly what I did on the Slash, pulled an 36 HSC/LSC off the bike to put a Durolux on it...and the only reason I can see to put the Fox 36 back on is so that I can sell the bike and keep the Durolux for myself.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Exactly what I did on the Slash, pulled an 36 HSC/LSC off the bike to put a Durolux on it...and the only reason I can see to put the Fox 36 back on is so that I can sell the bike and keep the Durolux for myself.
Is the Suntour that good? In my mind th rc2 cartridge is pretty bloody good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Is the Suntour that good? In my mind th rc2 cartridge is pretty bloody good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The R2C2 is a bit of a pain to setup and dial in (so many dials), but absolutely that good in my experience. Fox 36 feels a bit divey after being on the Durolux.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that a 6Fattie Enduro?
Have you got the lockout for the rear on a grip shift yet?
Have you done much with suspension setup in general?
Sorry, just saw this, yep, thats my mates Enduro 29er, he has it setup with 27.5 2.8's. Goes pretty darn good!
Haven't done any real setup as such yet on the Nomad, havent had it out on tracks I know. I think the rear spring might be a little hard for me, on the times I have hit the hard rough stuff the rear has seemed harsh. However I will have a better idea after Stromlo on the weekend :)

Not much other news, according to Shimano I managed to "wear out" a Saint brake lever, I do ride them like a bitch. They probably would of warrantied it for me but they were out of stock of replacement levers so I just bought a whole new brake from Pushys.
Next on the list might be a DHX2, I had great success with it on the N3. Only thing that was stopping me was the fact the DHX2 doesn't (currently) have bearings in the eye, the Deluxe coil on the bike does and the whole suspension system feels so stiction free, (a fly lands on the seat and suspension moves). Anyway, I'm sure they are old news to some, but I only just came across needle bearings, so in anticipation to the DHX2 I ordered a set last week, turned up this morning, on first look not really convinced they will be as good as bearings in the eye, but time will tell.

nbk_components600.jpg

Pumped for stromlo this weekend, if you are down that way and want to say hello and talk carbon feel free, or if you want to start a fight just push me or something, but not to hard, I could fall over and graze my knee.

Z

Zaf

I actually have trouble seeing the mechanical benefit of these bearings. The driving path is generally pretty straight over the length of the shock body, it's not like the shocks wildly change angles as they're actuated. I also can't see those needle bearings getting much life out of them given the application area, if anything they should push larger bearings into the frame mounting point and then keep stiff bushing, certainly from a durability point of view.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm about mechanically minded as a slab of butter in the sun, whilst the shock angle doesn't change much, the rear eye does see a fair amount of rotation on the N4.

As far as durability, I'm not convinced either. Time will tell.
I would of rather seen bearings in the link, that way all shocks could benifit :)

*edit actually I don't think bearings in the link would work as the bolt would need to rotate. Again, butter, sun, no mechanical brain.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

At which point it begs the questions, what's smoother, a well maintained bushing or a shot bearing?
But makes a bit of sense now at least, rotation on the point in relation to the linkage.

Report results!

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, a few updates, pics later.
Stromlo Enduro- I sucked major ass at this event. Managed to eat a tree shortly followed by dirt on Saturday practice. Apart from pork belly the tracks didnt really inspire, seemed quite pedally. Also, it was hot as shit, no shade when waiting for your run and the climbs up were pretty hectic. And to top it all off I went into the last track with 8 secs over my dumbass mate and somehow managed to come out the other side 3 seconds down. $$##$@!#. Gotta live with that shit now haha.

As far as the bike goes, I still haven't found the rear end very plush, felt quite harsh on medium sized drops/hits . So instead of doing the smart thing and trying a lighter spring, I just bought a whole new shock, a DHX2. My local couldnt really help as Fox are only doing them special order now and there is a six week wait, so cyclinic had one in stock, paid $845 and sold the Deluxe coil for $400, not a bad change over . I had a DHX2 on the N3 and it blew me away, hoping this will too. Just need a heavier spring. Also, my scale was flat, but the DHx2 w/sls seems ALOT lighter then the Deluxe coil.

Fitted the roller bearing into the rear of the shock, whilst it felt a little notchy in the hand, this thing hasn't lost any sensitivity. Finger pressure on the seat can get it the suspension moving, there is zero stiction!

So, excited to give this shock a run and start getting the front and rear working together, should be unstoppable!

Pics later on after it gets a wash, and new grips......