Andy's Fat Tyre Bike Lodge Mt Buller - No more....

slowmick

38-39"
Andy has announced that's he's closed up the bike lodges for good.

http://www.andysfattyrebikelodge.com.au/

The same info appeared on facebook today.

If you, like me, have enjoyed staying in the lodges over the last 6 years please let him know that he'll be missed.

I wish him all the best for the future.

teK--

Eats Squid
Not sure why the resort doesn't just charge all people a reasonable flat rate for entry with an option for chairlift. There are so few facilities open in Summer it's a wonder how they don't lose money at the moment.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Why's Buller getting so quiet? Is Bright really taking numbers away or is everyone riding closer to home? Is everyone just doing trips to derby?

The trails seem busier than ever no matter where, Forrest seems to the only one around here that's quieter than the normal.

Is it the lack of change on the gravity trails, or lack of media hype or just management?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
For me personally I'd never go to Buller over Bright. Trails arw better (my opinion) in Bright for Gravity riding, the shuttles are better and same price, plus the town is fun. Partner can come along etc.

Being at Buller is boring...

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Andy is a top bloke, and always looked after us when when visited for 3-4 nights each summer with the family. However, this year the nightly price jumped by $80 a night over previous years, we are staying elsewhere and saving $230 for three nights, purely a financial decision for us.

Purely speculation, I also wonder if he is sick of the stagnant MTB scene at Buller, were nothing will change?

Not sure why the resort doesn't just charge all people a reasonable flat rate for entry with an option for chairlift. There are so few facilities open in Summer it's a wonder how they don't lose money at the moment.
They did a survey two summers ago regarding this, told them if they charge entry, I will no longer visit.

For me personally I'd never go to Buller over Bright. Trails arw better (my opinion) in Bright for Gravity riding, the shuttles are better and same price, plus the town is fun. Partner can come along etc.

Being at Buller is boring...
This summer will be the last family visit to buller, only there a couple of nights, then off to stay at falls, so many more options on that mountain, still a little ghost townie, but a lot better than buller.

Wonder what the powers to be at buller expected (if numbers have significantly decline) with all the awesome work that has been done at bright and another 1 1/4 hours drives to falls if basing your visit in bright. Major towns in area, heaps of touristy shit, great riding. Buller has been digging its own ghost town grave for years.

I also first raced on Abom in 94, a little bit has been done over the years, but its basically the same track... maybe a few modern DH / park tracks would bring in the business. But i don't think they give a shit.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
I think Buller has taken a bullet and died for summer MTB riding. I was there a few years ago flying from Brisbane and hiring a ute to get there with mates, what a fuggin waste of money that was.... It really was up there with a waste of time, money and never get my 5 wasted days back... ghost town with walking trails

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Wonder what the powers to be at buller expected (if numbers have significantly decline) with all the awesome work that has been done at bright and another 1 1/4 hours drives to falls if basing your visit in bright. Major towns in area, heaps of touristy shit, great riding. Buller has been digging its own ghost town grave for years.

I also first raced on Abom in 94, a little bit has been done over the years, but its basically the same track... maybe a few modern DH / park tracks would bring in the business. But i don't think they give a shit.
Bang on the money mate. I find the lack of development and closed up village and closed mind management mentality to be utterly insane, but as it appears that nothing will change without perhaps a change of mountain ownership - it's better for riders to spend their time and money elsewhere.

T.3

Likes Dirt
I went to the Bike Buller Festival a couple of years ago. I was forewarned that not a lot of stores would be open true enough nothing besides the general store, bike shop and pub was. I enjoyed the riding but not sure why nothing else was open. Does anyone know why? Is it simply not financially viable or are there other reasons at play.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I went to the Bike Buller Festival a couple of years ago. I was forewarned that not a lot of stores would be open true enough nothing besides the general store, bike shop and pub was. I enjoyed the riding but not sure why nothing else was open. Does anyone know why? Is it simply not financially viable or are there other reasons at play.
It's all financial. The amount of people utilising the mountain simply doesn't justify the expense involved in opening.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all financial. The amount of people utilising the mountain simply doesn't justify the expense involved in opening.
Pretty much this, they make enough money in winter to sustain closing the mountain in summer, mountain biking is more of an annoyance than a draw card for them. Baw Baw has always been a smaller resort, and are acknowledging the shrinking ski season, so they are putting in the effort for a range of activities over summer, not just mountain biking. But I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more trails pop up there in the next few years. I dont mind riding at buller, but its one or two day trips a season, there are better options a similar distance or even closer than that.

trav

Likes Dirt
Buller was only ever ok at its very best ,10 years ago.
Id rather shit my pants than travel there to ride .