Angle headset, slacker lower longer

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Damn, if you have the loot go angleset, offset bushings and 160mm fork, slacken it by 5 degrees or so. What could go wrong
Haha every lift of the front wheel?

Was thinking -2° for wife. It has 27.5 wheels already, not sure what effect that would have. Too much hassle for me but my Bronson could go -1 and with the 160 fork it has instead of 150 it would be a tad under 67°. Maybe one day.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any suggestions for a 1 1/8, ec34/ec34 head tube?

Works Comp seems to be the only ones doing it and they’re out of stock. There’s a guy on PB selling home made cups but they look a little home made to me

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Can anyone link to a geometry calculator they've used successfully. I am thinking about -1.5 degrees on my Commencal Meta AM 29, spec sheet says its a 66 HTA, wondering what the change on the HTA will do to the STA. However every geometry calc i've used seems to give me the shits, constantly changing when ever I try to input the numbers.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This one's good:

Just un-tick "automatically approximate reach and stack " down the bottom, and put those numbers in first or it doesn't update properly.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
This one's good:

Just un-tick "automatically approximate reach and stack " down the bottom, and put those numbers in first or it doesn't update properly.
It said it would steep my STA, but everything i read says that slackening the HTA will also slacken the STA. I'm so confused.

beeb

Slackening the forks will make the stack fractionally lower (lower the headtube height), which will steepen your seat tube. If you're changing from an internal lower headset cup to external that'll raise the headtube/stack though. So it depends a little on how you're doing it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It said it would steep my STA, but everything i read says that slackening the HTA will also slacken the STA. I'm so confused.
If you add a -1.5 angleset to the same length fork then your stack height will drop and your STA will steepen.

Your expectation of a slacker STA with a slacker HTA is based upon the scenario where people put longer forks on, not an angleset.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your expectation of a slacker STA with a slacker HTA is based upon the scenario where people put longer forks on, not an angleset.
Or with shock offset bushings..

Got to say the bike rides better in every way by slackening it out. Great way to get a few more years out of a frame..

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Purchased a 2 degree angleset last night for my Tallboy LT. Tassie is a whole heap steeper than WA, and my bike corresponding feels a whole heap more frightening when it gets steep steep here in Hobart. 69.4 degree head angles will do that :oops:.

Some nice Spank 25mm riser bars were also ordered at the same time :)

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You're not actually slackening the HTA, you are slackening the fork and steerer angle. In fact, if using the same A to C length fork, your stack will drop a bees and the HTA will actually steepen a tad.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Any suggestions for a 1 1/8, ec34/ec34 head tube?

Works Comp seems to be the only ones doing it and they’re out of stock.
Yeah this is what I need for my wife, only 1 degree is compatible for old style 1 1/8th, my mate also wants one for his older Stumpy. I shot them a contact to ask when they will have stock.

I'm running a 10mm longer fork than the stock one, best I can find from somebody who did the numbers is that I'll get about -1.5 degree with a -1.0 headset. Seat angle back to normal/tad steeper (long fork would have made it slacker) ETT a few mm shorter, and reach very close to the same because it will tilt stem back and up. I think the change will be quite subtle and the fork slackness the most noticeable, thoughts?

I have ZS44/EC49 which is in stock, but would rather order them all in one hit so hopefully the old style comes back in stock soon.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah this is what I need for my wife, only 1 degree is compatible for old style 1 1/8th, my mate also wants one for his older Stumpy. I shot them a contact to ask when they will have stock.

I'm running a 10mm longer fork than the stock one, best I can find from somebody who did the numbers is that I'll get about -1.5 degree with a -1.0 headset. Seat angle back to normal/tad steeper (long fork would have made it slacker) ETT a few mm shorter, and reach very close to the same because it will tilt stem back and up. I think the change will be quite subtle and the fork slackness the most noticeable, thoughts?

I have ZS44/EC49 which is in stock, but would rather order them all in one hit so hopefully the old style comes back in stock soon.
Yeah, see I reckon there’s a few old straight steerer frames which are actually worth salvaging. The bike is pretty much spot on, but that 1 number is so far from my good bike’s 66deg I may as well be riding a penny farthing

beeb

Yep, and if they're already evenly "started" in the headtube it makes the press tool less likely to want to drive them in on an angle.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah, see I reckon there’s a few old straight steerer frames which are actually worth salvaging. The bike is pretty much spot on, but that 1 number is so far from my good bike’s 66deg I may as well be riding a penny farthing
Yeah wife's 1st run Juliana with 27.5 conversion is definitely a bike worth saving, and 69 deg is better than 70. She's come from a 94 Mongoose with the worst suspension (Rockshox Mag 10's with Mag 21 guts - the Mag 15.5 as we used to call it) so it will be 2.5 degrees slacker in total than her old bike.