Ankle support. Does anybody use it and what?

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Well after dislocating my left ankle on Monday I now find myself sitting on the couch for a few weeks contemplating my next move.

I had a look at a few ankle supports on line and they vary from a piece of elastic right through to armadillo style body armour.

Is there anyone regularly using an ankle support and what do they use. I need something that will allow for pedalling as well a descending. The left-right stability/ movement in the joint will be compromised by this injury. So I am looking for something that will allow pedalling rotation but not lateral movement.

Any suggestions?
Cheers JP.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I'd also recommend the ASO brace. I had numerous ligament tears and brakes, I used that brace or a similar one to great effect.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Well after dislocating my left ankle on Monday I now find myself sitting on the couch for a few weeks contemplating my next move.

I had a look at a few ankle supports on line and they vary from a piece of elastic right through to armadillo style body armour.

Is there anyone regularly using an ankle support and what do they use. I need something that will allow for pedalling as well a descending. The left-right stability/ movement in the joint will be compromised by this injury. So I am looking for something that will allow pedalling rotation but not lateral movement.

Any suggestions?
Cheers JP.
I'd suggest getting a Physio's advice rather than this forum.

There can be other factors unique to the individual, including pre existing that may now impact recovery and management (for example may now also need additional support footbed in shoe).

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I'd suggest getting a Physio's advice rather than this forum.

There can be other factors unique to the individual, including pre existing that may now impact recovery and management (for example may now also need additional support footbed in shoe).
Yes.

You will find there are physios who specialize in ankles, lower limbs - who will have a good working knowledge of the various supports available and your particular injury

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
^^^^^ +1

You may also be able to simply tape your ankle rather than run a brace, but the professionals will be able to tell you exactly what is required.

If you do require a brace I can recommend the brand MCDAVID from the U.S. They have a range of options to suit most needs and the quality is high, good prices as well.

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/sportmed/ankle

ajay

^^^^^ +1

You may also be able to simply tape your ankle rather than run a brace, but the professionals will be able to tell you exactly what is required.

If you do require a brace I can recommend the brand MCDAVID from the U.S. They have a range of options to suit most needs and the quality is high, good prices as well.

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/sportmed/ankle

I'm not sure if youve ever taped your ankle, but despite how well it can work if done right, it's an absolute pain in the arse. A brace is by far the easiest and most convenient.

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure if youve ever taped your ankle, but despite how well it can work if done right, it's an absolute pain in the arse. A brace is by far the easiest and most convenient.

Yes I have taped ankles, knees and shoulders for many years for a lot of different sports and injuries. I played Volleyball for 10 years at a state level and preferred tape to running a brace, braces are actually not really any easier than taping once you have a taping system in place. Braces are cumbersome, you may need to upsize your shoes to accommodate the bulk of the brace especially if using the lace up versions and thats not taking into consideration the damage the braces do to the shoes. I found taping a lot more comfortable and a lot more versatile, you can tape in many different ways and use different techniques and tensions depending on how things are feeling. While some braces offer a little variation essentially they are set and forget and may either be overkill or not offer the right support for that day.

It is most certainly a matter of selecting the right 'tool' for the job and if you can get away with taping rather than wearing a brace it's what I would be doing.

scblack

Leucocholic
Yes I have taped ankles, knees and shoulders for many years for a lot of different sports and injuries. I played Volleyball for 10 years at a state level and preferred tape to running a brace, braces are actually not really any easier than taping once you have a taping system in place. Braces are cumbersome, you may need to upsize your shoes to accommodate the bulk of the brace especially if using the lace up versions and thats not taking into consideration the damage the braces do to the shoes. I found taping a lot more comfortable and a lot more versatile, you can tape in many different ways and use different techniques and tensions depending on how things are feeling. While some braces offer a little variation essentially they are set and forget and may either be overkill or not offer the right support for that day.

It is most certainly a matter of selecting the right 'tool' for the job and if you can get away with taping rather than wearing a brace it's what I would be doing.
I agree. I played rugby union for 20years or so, and tore ligaments in each ankle a couple of times. I would only suggest taping for an ankle support. You get direct support through the ankle as the tape sticks to the joint. A brace cannot provide that as well, as each persons foot/ankle/calf are different sizes, you may need different support depending on the injury, adjusting the angle of the foot is easy while taping whereas a brace is one only.

From experience only the figure eight taping provided good support for almost all movements of the foot/ankle. Make sure you shave too for full sticking effect, and it hurts to remove if you tape hairs.

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
I am also on the f****d ankles wagon after many years of skating and destroying both of them, and I can say taping it perhaps would be best and a physio would recommend it too, but the process is a huge pain in the a**, specially if you need to do both of them and within consecutive days of riding.

I have been using a 661 brace similar to the ASO for years now and it has been fantastic! Whistler / NZ, long DH days, just perfect & highly recommended. Shame 661 don't make it anymore, ASO would be a very good option.

ajay

I've only ever used a brace for riding and while the brace is a bit bulky, it has been a bombproof method of saving my ankles and always fit inside my 5-10s easily.
I'm unsure of the science, my (numerous) physio recommended the brace, it works for me so that's all I was really concerned about. I tried strapping/rigid taping but never felt it actually provided stiff lateral support.
I suppose it depends on your injuries.... my ankle ligaments don't really function so I can't rely on muscle reflex to brace - ruling out soft braces and most strapping tape.

I guess all that points towards the OP getting themselves checked out by a professional :)

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the Replys guys. I will check out the ASO brace.

I have a follow up X-Ray on Friday and then I start physio next week.

Dirtydan

Likes Bikes
Physio is the only way to go, they will give you exercises to strengthen all your muscles in the damaged area to compensate for any weaker area's.

I snapped a tendon in my ankle 18months ago, once you snap a tendon only way to repair it is surgery. I opted to go with out surgery and smashed the exercises the physio gave me, after 1 month i was on the bike in cripple mode, 2 months I was back on the bike as per normal and I'd say it feels stronger now than the other ankle.

But I still do some of my exercises 18 months later just to ensure the strength stays there, consistency is the key.

dogboy*

Squid
I am also on the f****d ankles wagon after many years of skating and destroying both of them, and I can say taping it perhaps would be best and a physio would recommend it too, but the process is a huge pain in the a**, specially if you need to do both of them and within consecutive days of riding.

I have been using a 661 brace similar to the ASO for years now and it has been fantastic! Whistler / NZ, long DH days, just perfect & highly recommended. Shame 661 don't make it anymore, ASO would be a very good option.
After physio gave the ok to get back on the bike after broken ankle I used the 661 brace - no dramas with pedalling and seemed to work, certainly gave me a bit of confidence back...if u want I'll have a look for it and see what size it is......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I always wear socks when riding. When I wear a below the ankle sock my ankle feels less supported.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I went to a physio once, he was a complete dick and had me doing stupid exercises and said it was just a sprain. I then went to a doc, got an MRI and was put back to Rest Ice and Elevation a month after injuring it, if it doesn't feel right go for a second opinion.

I went with the ASO brace and it was awesome, American made goodness at a reasonable price and it let me ride at full pace(not very quick) with a pretty shitty ankle.