Anodizing or powdercoating (for roof bars)

wombat

Lives in a hole
New car is coming shortly and it's gonna need some roof racks if I want to be able to get to the trails. I'm going to put the Thule wingbar edge on it but I'm really not a fan of the silver bars, so I want to make them black. Yeah I know there's other racks out there that are black, but there's reasons I'm going with these ones, so that's not going to change.

Question is, what's the best way to colour the bars? I know there's a powdercoating place that's pretty nearby that could do them, but my worry is that sort of finish is going to wear and chip if I'm sliding carriers in and out all the time. I figure anodizing will be tougher (pretty sure they're silver ano out of the box) but I'm not sure of anywhere to get that redone, or if it's going to be an expensive job.

If anyone's got any thoughts or suggestions of places to try that are in western Sydney / Hawkesbury, I'd love to hear them.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Vinyl wrap (or even plasti-dip?) might be cheaper and provide both the bars (and the things you're mounting to said bars) a little bit of protection.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the carriers are sliding all the time I think any finish over the original silver would rub off eventually - why not go ghetto style rattle can and spray it everytime it needs attention?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
powder coat, paint, etc is going to add a layer which may result in the rails not sliding as the tolerences are greatly reduced/causing interference. anodizing is probably the only real solution, however you're probably looking at $2-300?

wombat

Lives in a hole
powder coat, paint, etc is going to add a layer which may result in the rails not sliding as the tolerences are greatly reduced/causing interference. anodizing is probably the only real solution, however you're probably looking at $2-300?
Jesus, that's expensive. I suppose the existing ano would need to be stripped too though. Maybe ghetto rattle can would be best.

Ango, problem with dip is that I'll be using carriers like the pro ride which slide into the bar, I think the dip would get peeled off.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I've got the Thule aerobar racks with two Proride 951 racks and mine don't slide into the channel. They have lockdown clips that go around the roof racks and are key locked. I don't see why you can't use the same system on the wingbar's

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've got the Thule aerobar racks with two Proride 951 racks and mine don't slide into the channel. They have lockdown clips that go around the roof racks and are key locked. I don't see why you can't use the same system on the wingbar's
Sounds like you're using the u brackets they include for use with the steel square bar. I'd prefer to use the bolts as that setup is quieter and neater, and there's no way the u brackets will get around a wing bar anyway, the thing is massively wide.

I guess I can always just be careful when removing the carriers, and in the end I guess they might stay on most of the time anyway.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen black Thule aero bars, but not the wing bars yet. Maybe all your local dealer.
Al..

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Vinyl wrap (or even plasti-dip?) might be cheaper and provide both the bars (and the things you're mounting to said bars) a little bit of protection.
Go the vinyl in gloss option , good stuff, can be used elsewhere as well as protection and also to change colour

floody

Wheel size expert
The tolerances are not so tight that powdercoat should present an issue. Pretty sure you can buy the bars in black for an upcharge. Proride comes in black now too.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have seen black Thule aero bars, but not the wing bars yet. Maybe all your local dealer.
Al..
That's the problem, I am the local Thule dealer! :p Double checked with the importer today, there's no black option for Wing (or aero) bars unfortunately. I ordered the silver ones though, along with some a couple of black pro-rides. I might look into powdercoating, but I reckon at this point the simple old pressure pack option is probably easiest and cheapest; let you know how I'll go.