Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

stirk

Burner
Did the front axle swivel hub seal things on one of those once... We had to drove it to Sydney so I was silly enough to offer to do it. Felt strips soaked in grease as I recall?
Early leaf sprung front end, was a bouncy trip to Sydney!
There ain't nothing smooth about a hilux or 4runner but at least you know the creaking rattling noises are normal and you don't need to pull the car apart to make em quite, it's just in the design!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I dunno, my old man 4runner was remarkably smooth offroad. Sailed over corrugations admirably.
Much nicer than the later model prado that replaced it.

neither are as amazing as my 75series though.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
There ain't nothing smooth about a hilux or 4runner but at least you know the creaking rattling noises are normal and you don't need to pull the car apart to make em quite, it's just in the design!
Renos ride well, but I can relate to the creaking rattling noises being part of the design brief!

moorey

call me Mia
So, picked up the (shudders to self) Hilux yesterday, and so far, it does every a ute is contractually obliged to do.
Shit ton smoother on our rough dirt roads the old d22, but that’s a low bar.
A little more grunt than the old D22, again another low bar.
Roomier than the d22...as above.

Didn't buy this to give myself a stiffy or get the ladies, but happy with how it all feels so far.

Coincidentally, the wife’s car went in for some body work yesterday and the loaner car is a similar era and Km d40, which some were pushing as an option for me. I drove it for 30 minutes yesterday, and couldn’t wait to get out. Super tinny feeling, lots of road noise even with road tyres, auto has no idea what it’s doing, and turbo whistles like a tradie eying off a teenage girl. Drives like a boat. Not sure if this is common for the model, but not only does it make the lux feel solid, it made my d22 feel reasonable.
Felix confided in me this morning that he didn’t like the Tritons at all...so that’s a win.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
D40s are not good. Mate inherited one with a company he bought. What a piece of shit. Was on the books for $25k. It was cleaned up, service up to date etc. Fetched all of $8k at auction after no offers from the usual sale places.

That model hilux is fine, typical tojo, nothing special but nothing too awful either.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
So, picked up the (shudders to self) Hilux yesterday, and so far, it does every a ute is contractually obliged to do.
Shit ton smoother on our rough dirt roads the old d22, but that’s a low bar.
A little more grunt than the old D22, again another low bar.
Roomier than the d22...as above.

Didn't buy this to give myself a stiffy or get the ladies, but happy with how it all feels so far.

Coincidentally, the wife’s car went in for some body work yesterday and the loaner car is a similar era and Km d40, which some were pushing as an option for me. I drove it for 30 minutes yesterday, and couldn’t wait to get out. Super tinny feeling, lots of road noise even with road tyres, auto has no idea what it’s doing, and turbo whistles like a tradie eying off a teenage girl. Drives like a boat. Not sure if this is common for the model, but not only does it make the lux feel solid, it made my d22 feel reasonable.
Felix confided in me this morning that he didn’t like the Tritons at all...so that’s a win.
A strong choice @moorey
Enjoy the stiffy and the ladies.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Really didn't help that Nissan brought them into the country from both the (IIRC) Spanish and Thai manufacturing lines, and that there was a bunch of minor variables in the build (including chassis frame designs) depending where they were built.

moorey

call me Mia
Really didn't help that Nissan brought them into the country from both the (IIRC) Spanish and Thai manufacturing lines, and that there was a bunch of minor variables in the build (including chassis frame designs) depending where they were built.
My wife is driving it around today. She messaged me that it feels like a badly made golf cart, and she pulled over twice, thinking cops were after her, till realising it was the ridiculous turbo whistle.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A couple of mates had them, they rode okay but had had the suspension replaced with aftermarket lift kits. They were rattly on corrugations though, a Hilux like yours was much better there. I still wouldn't buy a D40 myself, but the one you have on loan sounds like a particularly neglected lemon IMO.

My point was more if you're bringing in "Tradie" utes, make sure there oft-unnecessary 4WD upgrades can fit consistently.

moorey

call me Mia
Bought with everything I needed, rather capitalize on someone else’s upgrades. Not going 4wd’ing in it, but for what I do, I needed bullbar, towbar, tray. It’s got BFG muds rear and AT’s front (assuming just chucked on rw tyres for sale). When they wear out, I’ll just chuck AT’s on. May fit winch for dragging shit around when woodcutting, but got by without on the Nav, so may not.