Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I dunno what the actual market is like for them, but my boss picked up my work car with 110,000km on it for a princely $10k. No winch or CB, but has got a roll cage for plumbing related 4x4 work. I added a reverse camera and decent stereo for about $250, almost a necissity with a tray and big toolboxes.

I definitely prefer it for work over the nav, but that might be as much to do with the fact it's not mine as anything else. It works day in and day out, never skips a beat. If you could fix the turbo lag you'd be laughing, but I feel like it might not be as much of an issue if you're carrying less weight.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I dunno what the actual market is like for them, but my boss picked up my work car with 110,000km on it for a princely $10k. No winch or CB, but has got a roll cage for plumbing related 4x4 work. I added a reverse camera and decent stereo for about $250, almost a necissity with a tray and big toolboxes.

I definitely prefer it for work over the nav, but that might be as much to do with the fact it's not mine as anything else. It works day in and day out, never skips a beat. If you could fix the turbo lag you'd be laughing, but I feel like it might not be as much of an issue if you're carrying less weight.

I see them for those sorts of dollars, but always high km or older.

moorey

call me Mia
Low enough kms, get it looked over by a workshop and ask to look under it while it's on a car hoist.
I had a good look under hood and chassis. Hasn’t had a pressure clean, but everything was dry, straight and clean.

I also kicked the tyres. Pressure was sufficient.

I’m not necessarily sold on this one. Just happened to tick every box...which few do..and was just in town at local dealership.

Last edited:

rstim

Likes Dirt
Anyone dreaming of owning a Triton has issues.

Wife supports it, aside from colour. I’d also prefer boring white, but meh. As long as not black or blue.
The red is known to fade quite badly or was unsure if the they changed anything in the later models.

moorey

call me Mia
The red is known to fade quite badly or was unsure if the they changed anything in the later models.
It still does apparently, and is pretty thin. Cosmetics are low on my priority list, and I plan to keep whatever I buy till it’s essentially worthless anyway.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a good look under hood and chassis. Hasn’t had a pressure clean, but everything was dry, straight and clean.

I also kicked the tyres. Pressure was sufficient.

I’m not necessarily sold on this one. Just happened to tick every box...which few do..and was just in town at local dealership.
Offer a low ball for it, you never know but low KMs cars are usually pretty good. I've never been keen on red cars either, always reminds of the old Aust post cars.

moorey

call me Mia
Offer a low ball for it, you never know but low KMs cars are usually pretty good. I've never been keen on red cars either, always reminds of the old Aust post cars.
I drove it, was happy with it, wasn’t even planning an offer at this point.
Thanked him for his time and was leaving. He asked me to make an offer, I told him I truthfully that I was trying to keep my budget to $20k, and I’d keep looking.
He offered to throw in 3 month rego....last of the big spenders.
I said no, but I might come to $22000 drive away. (It’s 23.5).
Says he’d lose money at that. I lol’d a bit and left.
Hour later he rings me. Offers 23.250 without rego. I point out that’s no better deal.
Another sob story about his manager not letting him go better.
I thanked him and left it at that.
There’s no way the yard payed more than $12-15 as a trade in on that, I’d wager. Lol.
Yes, they have expenses and wages, but if someone feeds you shit and won’t genuinely try to negotiate, I’m outta there.

In all honesty, compared to what’s out there with super low km, the right spec, and good conditions, the price is ok. But I’m a stubborn cuss.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I drove it, was happy with it, wasn’t even planning an offer at this point.
Thanked him for his time and was leaving. He asked me to make an offer, I told him I truthfully that I was trying to keep my budget to $20k, and I’d keep looking.
He offered to throw in 3 month rego....last of the big spenders.
I said no, but I might come to $22000 drive away. (It’s 23.5).
Says he’d lose money at that. I lol’d a bit and left.
Hour later he rings me. Offers 23.250 without rego. I point out that’s no better deal.
Another sob story about his manager not letting him go better.
I thanked him and left it at that.
There’s no way the yard payed more than $12-15 as a trade in on that, I’d wager. Lol.
Yes, they have expenses and wages, but if someone feeds you shit and won’t genuinely try to negotiate, I’m outta there.

In all honesty, compared to what’s out there with super low km, the right spec, and good conditions, the price is ok. But I’m a stubborn cuss.
I would say they paid around the 12K for it, I wouldn't offer anymore than 19K.

moorey

call me Mia
I know it won’t go that low though a dealer, but I’m also not paying more than I’ve already said, which I think was a very fair offer.
No qualms walking away. Plenty out there.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yeah, they've got so much more room to move than they let on. Drop in and see what they offer for your old car, that gives you an idea on their margin. They gotta make money, I get it, but don't cry poor at me when your quibbling about making 8k instead of 10k.

Low km is great, but how much repairs can you get for 10k? If that's the difference between a car with 50,000 on it and one with 100,000 on it I'd go the cheaper option every day.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When I bought the ni san I played off three dealers. Dealer #2 was so far away on price I made a silly offer and they almost held back the laughter. A few days on and I did the business with dealer #3 and rang the other two to let them know I had bought elsewhere (mostly to stop them bothering me). Dealer #2 claimed to be shocked because in their view we had a deal (no paperwork or verbal agreement by the way) and they were sourcing a car. When I asked at what price did we do the deal they of course reiterated their best price. I drew on my inner Michael Caton and told him he was dreaming. That was very enjoyable. The guys I dealt with disclosed the full pricing and deal on offer from Mazda. They were making very little but enough. The other guys were looking to pocket about $4k more on a $17k car.