Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Silly bitch mucked me around for ages, hassled me to buy it because she needed to sell quickly, so I asked her for a quick video, and photos of the service book before driving three hours to come look at it. I work all week, and we are off racing every weekend, so I was trying to arrange a midnight dash. A few days later, I messaged m asking how the video and pics are going, and she’d sold it.
I think this belongs in the LTIFH thread.
As a seller, if you have three perspective buyers, buyer 1 (moorey) is acting all responsible and needs more effort on the sellers behalf to satisfy, buyer two is indifferent, and buyer three is being an irrational fool offering the right cash and happy with a 5 minute test drive, you can see who gets the car every time.

It’s how I play the field when it pans out this way.

We all take the easiest route.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
FWD in a big car? Pass
It’s not always a bad thing. I imagine the Taurus is your typical marshmallow wallowing American, but things like some of the big euro Luxo barges like a Pug 607 do a satisfying job of being engaging and cushy whilst being FWD.

Haakon

As a seller, if you have three perspective buyers, buyer 1 (moorey) is acting all responsible and needs more effort on the sellers behalf to satisfy, buyer two is indifferent, and buyer three is being an irrational fool offering the right cash and happy with a 5 minute test drive, you can see who gets the car every time.

Yep. Buying used you’ve got to be able assure yourself the car is ok yourself with a short test. Not everyone has the mechanical background to do this confidently, so they either risk a lemon or lose the car as the sellers don’t want to stuff around with third party inspections (or have the RACV tell the buyer it had a big end problem when it was a mildly leaky exhaust manifold gasket...).

moorey

call me Mia
Considered buying new? With the way these things hold their value it’s just about worth it...
Nope. I need tray, bullbar, towbar, side steps..it adds up fast on top of a budget I don’t have.
Also, this will be pushing through bush collecting firewood, having bikes thrown in, and muddy kids in it all the time.
I don’t want something that even resembles good cosmetic condition.

moorey

call me Mia

Yep.
She was motivated seller who said she needed quick sale, and I wasn’t even trying to screw her on price. Only needed 5 minutes of her time for a bit of info...instead she would wait a week between each request, then panic message me she needed to sell fast, and still not provide the info.
I shudder to think what lowball she took in the end. Her loss.

Haakon

Nope. I need tray, bullbar, towbar, side steps..it adds up fast on top of a budget I don’t have.
Also, this will be pushing through bush collecting firewood, having bikes thrown in, and muddy kids in it all the time.
Fair enough. I’ve been looking at commercials lately (Reno Trafic type van for long service leave travelling...) and am shocked at how little you save buying used... And how expensive they are for what is a metal box on wheels with minimal trinkets on it!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I have a 2010 Triton, the first with the longer tray. It's been a great ute. Just clocked over 300,000km and the only issue I have had was the radiator developed a leak and I replaced it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Preferably one that has already had petrol in the fuel tank (twice) so you dont have to.

Keep looking...

moorey

call me Mia
Test drove a 6yo DMax last night. I know everyone rates their motor and reliability...but it was awful to drive. New shocks, but rough AF, felt underpowered, auto was spongy (don’t want an auto anyway). Made me appreciate my old D22 :oops:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had or driven at work...
*Toyota Hilux, old unbreakable type, gold, but gutless.
*Rodeo petrol, thirsty AF and a bit unreliable v6.
*Rodeo diesel, reliable but gutless and milage not that great.
*Ford Courier petrol, gutless, reliable.
*Ford Ranger, previous model to latest. We had a fleet of these, almost every one of them had auto gearbox problems. Went well, good punch off standing. Motors were good, autos don't bother. Milage not as good as Dmax.
*Tritons 2017, had 3 of these at work, all had engine problems, two major, one fatal. Gutless off the line, beware pulling out into traffic. Milage ok but I think Dmax a bit better.
*D-max current, been really good so far, just clocked 100K, I do about 40 to 50K per year. Rides well with all my work tools loaded up. Rides really harsh unloaded. Much better with weight on board. Traction control and esc work ok, can really throw it into slippery turns . I had a turbo issue at 20K fixed under warranty. Economy pretty good, gets 9.3l/100km work driving.
Mate has new Toyota for work car and new Ranger for his personal. Says work car is rubbish. Happy with his Ranger, but I haven't had or driven the new one.