Another ‘what ute?’ Thread.

moorey

call me Mia
A mate (hi Rich) swears by his old mans Colorado. I confess I think of them as a pretend Isuzu, but open to opinions.
Any first hand experience?

rstim

Likes Dirt
We have one at work must be about 2015 vintage that had an engine replaced due to excess oil consumption was using 4+ litres between services. Other than that it's been ok drives alright, geared highly so easy to stall on takeoff. Can't really give you much else as I don't drive it alot.

moorey

call me Mia
Is that a model number...or my mates initials?
We have one at work must be about 2015 vintage that had an engine replaced due to excess oil consumption was using 4+ litres between services. Other than that it's been ok drives alright, geared highly so easy to stall on takeoff. Can't really give you much else as I don't drive it alot.
Cheers.
And cheers for the ones you’re sending me :)

moorey

call me Mia
No problems.
That MQ Triton would have been perfect. Just couldn’t quite go that high, and she sold it today while I was waiting patiently for a price drop.
There’s 2 others I’ve messaged, SMS’d and emailed asking more info, but no reply. :(

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Is that a model number...or my mates initials?
Model designation. And we love our 2014 version. Plenty of grunt, turbo lag is only a problem if you let the revs down way low, say 3rd gear around a roundabout (6 speed manual)

I confess I think of them as a pretend Isuzu, but open to opinions.
Any first hand experience?
They are nearly identical twins. The engines are different, GM motor in the Collie, Isuzu's own in the D-max and probably a few other things that hang off the engine, but the chassis and most of the body work is the same.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
RG is the later Colorado which runs their own engines and not the Isuzu 4JJ. VM Motori was a 50% GM company and the engines are ok though early variants had some issues and the second release was better but I prefer the 4JJ despite the lower specs. In our RC Colorado we did a full inlet clean at 120,000km and it was almost like new. None of the other common rail diesels are like that.

If you get told stories of the RG returning 2l/100 while towing 2,679 tonnes tell my bil to go home.

Edit calrified the vm motori thing.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Model designation. And we love our 2014 version. Plenty of grunt, turbo lag is only a problem if you let the revs down way low, say 3rd gear around a roundabout (6 speed manual)

They are nearly identical twins. The engines are different, GM motor in the Collie, Isuzu's own in the D-max and probably a few other things that hang off the engine, but the chassis and most of the body work is the same.
Lol. RG is also the initials of my mate :oops:
Yours is the collie, not Isuzu?

moorey

call me Mia
RG is the later Colorado which runs their own engines and not the Isuzu 4JJ. VM Motori is a GM company and the engines are ok though early variants had some issues and the second release was better but I prefer the 4JJ despite the lower specs. In our RC Colorado we did a full inlet clean at 120,000km and it was almost like new. None of the other common rail diesels are like that.

If you get told stories of the RG returning 2l/100 while towing 2,679 tonnes tell my bil to go home.
You northerners are weird.

Cardy George

Lol. RG is also the initials of my mate :oops:
Yours is the collie, not Isuzu?
Correct good Sir. I wanted Mrs George to at least look at the other Utes (Mazda, Isuzu etc) but she's a Holden girl at heart and wasn't interested in any of them

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You northerners are weird.
Not sure how much is shared between the original 2.8, the GM version and the latest iteration. The Jeep motor wasnt good nor was the VM Motori that Rover used. BIL's brother had an original RG and of course it set lap records at Bathurst while using 3mL of diesel. The new one is even better and set a new record at Spa while creating fuel. Yeah bullshit bullshit bullshit but in my former life that business had some early RGs with engine issues then went to Tritons because they bought 80 odd and they were cheap.

Cardy George

Not sure how much is shared between the original 2.8, the GM version and the latest iteration. The Jeep motor wasnt good nor was the one the VM Motori that Rover used. BIL's brother had an original RG and of course it set lap records at Bathurst while using 3mL of diesel. The new one is better and set a new record at Spa while creating fuel. Yeah bullshit bullshit bullshit but my former business had some early ones with engine issues then went to trtons because they bought 80 odd and they were cheap.
Yeah, I wouldn't call ours particularly frugal, but driving to Adelaide it's on par with the VY wagon we had before in terms of total litres used. Which isn't actually bad considering it's 2.5 tonnes and has the aerodynamics of a house brick