Another case of traps set on trails?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just read this, apparently another case of someone setting traps to keep cyclists out of a certain area.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/b...while-riding-his-bicycle-20151020-gkdbts.html

I don't know the area, I guess someone on here does. Is it a MTB spot?

Anyway, I have read of a few incidents like this recently, can I ask, WTF is going on over there?

Surely now a child has been injured as a result, Police will begin treating this as the criminal behaviour it is.

redline316

Likes Dirt
Theres something seriously wrong with these people, hopefully some kids father catches these pricks and dishes out a little punishment before the law catches up with them.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
sickening....i know this behaviour has been around for awhile but really alarming to see so many popping up lately and predominantly aimed at bike riders ...
what can be done to stop these pricks?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sickening....i know this behaviour has been around for awhile but really alarming to see so many popping up lately and predominantly aimed at bike riders ...
what can be done to stop these pricks?
Media coverage and threats of prison sentences for culprits

teK--

Eats Squid
charge them with causing GBH and attempted manslaughter (is there such a thing?) public whipping then stick them in a labour camp!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
..... stick them in a labour camp!
Can't possibly do that, it would be against their human rights..... But that's a conversation for another time and place.

These people (sort of) should be charged with serious offenses that's for sure....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
charge them with causing GBH and attempted manslaughter (is there such a thing?)
No such thing as attempted manslaughter; manslaughter is accidental death, usually caused by reckless or sometimes negligent behaviour. There is nothing negligent or accidental about setting traps. Have the bastards done for attempted murder (or murder if the worst happens).

wkkie

No such thing as attempted manslaughter; manslaughter is accidental death, usually caused by negligent behaviour. There is nothing negligent or accidental about setting traps. Have the bastards done for attempted murder (or murder if the worst happens).
Reckless conducts..... Numbers, 22 & 23 would apply. Also 25 & 26 would be applicable.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
In Vic setting a man trap carries big penalties. They tried to get a mate of mine for it when he put fencing wire across tracks on his own property. He hung branches over them so the wire could be seen but they said he put the branches on to hide the wire.

stirk

Burner
Society should not need to wait until the worst possible incident occurs, caused by a deliberate action such as setting of traps intended to hurt and maim, before our trusted custodians of the law apply the full conviction available to them.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Catching these pond scum is the challenge.

wkkie

In Vic setting a man trap carries big penalties. They tried to get a mate of mine for it when he put fencing wire across tracks on his own property. He hung branches over them so the wire could be seen but they said he put the branches on to hide the wire.
If he wanted it to be seen, why put wire up in the first place? There's better things to block trails with, stuff that won't kill / seriously injure people.....

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
As an ex Enduro rider prone to exploring any track wherever it may lead i can understand people getting pissed off with noisy 450's roosting up what may well be their driveway/farm track, i've been chased off the odd piece of (poorly signed) private property myself.......

While i understand noisy motorbikes can piss people off i have absolutely no clue how anybody could set dangerous traps like those described, nor do i understand how a cyclist could possibly annoy anyone enough to even contemplate doing that on a track!

And while i agree they should have the book thrown at them my cynical view of the world sees a small fine, suspended sentence or probation at most, of course if someone gets killed there would be mandatory jail that would likely consist of "time served".

Our justice system needs a serious shake up and a clear view of the real world!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If he wanted it to be seen, why put wire up in the first place? There's better things to block trails with, stuff that won't kill / seriously injure people.....
He put a wire fence across the track, he couldn't close the track completely because it was needed as a second way out in case of bushfire. When he put a gate on it they just cut it down. Dickhead trail bike riders believe that because nobody lived there for years it's their right to keep using it. The noisy, obnoxious fuckers ride right up to his house.

teK--

Eats Squid
No such thing as attempted manslaughter; manslaughter is accidental death, usually caused by reckless or sometimes negligent behaviour. There is nothing negligent or accidental about setting traps. Have the bastards done for attempted murder (or murder if the worst happens).
Yeah I know I'm just being silly :D

Throw the book at them in any case. All the books we can find.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Throw as many books at them as you want. They'll still get off due to some traumatic childhood experience.

ers

Likes Dirt
Found broken glass embedded on the track at Manly Dam last week - lots of big pieces. A couple of long necks worth. Who knows
ers