Another day another collarbone

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn that's some bad luck right there. I'd definitely look to get your bone density checked out. It might just be that you'd always have broken them but it would be good know if there was something else behind it so you can act upon it.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Damn that's some bad luck right there. I'd definitely look to get your bone density checked out. It might just be that you'd always have broken them but it would be good know if there was something else behind it so you can act upon it.

Hope you heal up quickly.
Will be having a bone density scan this week. Need to get things checked out cause both last brakes were from tiny spills. Definitely don’t bounce like I used to.

teK--

Eats Squid
That is horrible sorry to hear mate :(. Is that a Photoshop? Looks like your skills haven't been affected by any of your breakages then :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
I had an old magnet Aldi trainer lying around and it was pretty noisy at higher speeds, not sure what the neighbours thought when I would try to hold the fastest cadence and speed to beat the boredom of being on the trainer. I ran a free app on my phone that connected to a Garmin cadence and speed sensor, I used to practise doing sprint intervals with the minute counter on the app while having the phone strapped to the bars. You can compare your training sessions for a bit of fun and see how you are advancing if any and luckily I had an I-pod to drain the noise out and keep my mind occupied.
What was that free App?

Scotty675

Cable thief
That is horrible sorry to hear mate :(. Is that a Photoshop? Looks like your skills haven't been affected by any of your breakages then :)
No photoshop there. I have 0 tech skills I wouldn’t no how to open photoshop little own use it. Only thing with hand broken is I have zero grip strength. The only real struggle working on the bike was putting the barb in when shortening brake lines. Everything takes a lot longer but always a way.

teK--

Eats Squid
No photoshop there. I have 0 tech skills I wouldn’t no how to open photoshop little own use it. Only thing with hand broken is I have zero grip strength. The only real struggle working on the bike was putting the barb in when shortening brake lines. Everything takes a lot longer but always a way.
Don't let it stop you wrenching! I rebuilt my forks with arm in a sling when I did my collarbone. Things like that helps time pass until you can ride again :)

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

As you know I have just joined this club!
Wondering for those who did not have surgery, how long did it take to stop feeling like the bone is moving around?
How still did you need to stay for it to actually join?

Thanks

danncam

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Wondering for those who did not have surgery, how long did it take to stop feeling like the bone is moving around?

Thanks
Wear that sling whenever you're out of bed. I think it took a good 6 weeks for mine to knit, but it had to bridge over a cm gap

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey guys,

Thanks
I had surgery on the right. The left didn't break all the way through. Right healed up well, left has a bump.

Ummm...wear the sling. All the time you're out of bed. Even though it is annoying. When in bed make sure it is well supported

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Hey guys,

Thanks
I didn't have surgery and it took about 3 weeks from memory for it to stop moving.
I assume you mean "How long did I have to stay still for it to actually join"
I had and X-Ray at 4 weeks and it wasn't moving but it looked no different to me but the surgeon said it was ok, then another at 6 weeks, I still couldn't see that much difference but it was joined, then the last X-ray at 12 weeks and even I could see it joined with new bone.
This happened in December 2018 and is all sweet now but my shoulder does click when rotating in a large "wax on wax off" motion :p

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'm wearing the sling all the time. The main time I feel it moving is doing something like getting up or out of bed.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't have surgery and it took about 3 weeks from memory for it to stop moving.

I assume you mean "How long did I have to stay still for it to actually join"
Thanks mate,
I suppose what I'm asking is how pedantic I need to be keeping still?
I'm trying hard to keep it still and good posture. But with the entire family home due to the lockdowns I'm still finding myself up and about more than I'd like.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Thanks mate,
I suppose what I'm asking is how pedantic I need to be keeping still?
I'm trying hard to keep it still and good posture. But with the entire family home due to the lockdowns I'm still finding myself up and about more than I'd like.
I still got about as normal but just didn't use that arm. I did have the odd occasion (usually stretching in the morning) where I forgot that I had a broken collarbone and was painfully reminded o_O
I still went to work as luckily I have a desk job and car pool (which ironically started when I broke my ankle:D) and within a few weeks did some one armed riding and a lot of walking the newly opened trail near my home.:(
Just try not to use it for anything for at least 4 weeks. The orthopedic surgeon should be able to give you some good advice.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hey guys,

Thanks
Sorry to hear mate, now is a shitter of a time to hurt yourself badly.

Have you got any Xrays?

How it broke, whether it is complete, clean, fragments or not, how displaced etc, will have a huge bearing on whether it will unite successfully without surgery. If it's in at least 2 pieces, it will take a long time without surgery unfortunately. With surgery you are usually back to doing light loads within 8-10 weeks, but without you can be looking at 16+ weeks depending on how still you keep it.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to hear mate, now is a shitter of a time to hurt yourself badly.

Have you got any Xrays?

How it broke, whether it is complete, clean, fragments or not, how displaced etc, will have a huge bearing on whether it will unite successfully without surgery. If it's in at least 2 pieces, it will take a long time without surgery unfortunately. With surgery you are usually back to doing light loads within 8-10 weeks, but without you can be looking at 16+ weeks depending on how still you keep it.
Hi mate, I haven't got a copy of the xrays yet, but looked almost carbon copy of Haakons in the what did you do with your bikes thread as far as angle. Just the one clean break that I know of. Guess I'll find out when I see the ortho on Friday morning.

Thanks everyone for the advice.