Another day another collarbone

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice. Plate and screws?

I've got my orthopaedic follow up tomorrow to see if im fit to undergo a general anaesthetic...
I'll move this over hear rather than go to off topic in the other thread lol.

Hopefully you can finally get it sorted mate, been a bloody long road for you.

As for me, after a nervous week hoping to get a spot for surgery due to all the hospitals reducing capacity due to covid. I finally got a call to have a covid test, isolate and come in on Wednesday.
Had my op yesterday afternoon, all went well, having a plate and screws fitted. Turns out there was two fragments broken off.
Nice doped up night in the hospital, then a quick x-ray late morning and I'm now home taking it easy on the couch after sucking down a oxycodone lol

Thanks again everyone for the advice, glad I was able to push for surgery. I don't think letting it heal naturally would have ended well in my case.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Glad you got it plated. Definitely worth it long term, even if you do need plate removed down the track. Rest up for a week before going to silly. I'd recommend light overhead exercises when you can. Don't do anything silly yet as you may split your stitches. The one thing I overlooked was overhead exercise. It's amazing how much range of movement you loose. Take it easy and you will be back on the bike in no time. Easy riding, no smashing those jumps until you build some bigger catch berms

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great news on the op and remember you're missing no riding at the moment.

Get walking when you can just to help your mind. Remember the site will itch for a while.
Get off the Oxycodone when you can, it works but damn it's got some "ahem" adverse side effects.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad you got it plated. Definitely worth it long term, even if you do need plate removed down the track. Rest up for a week before going to silly. I'd recommend light overhead exercises when you can. Don't do anything silly yet as you may split your stitches. The one thing I overlooked was overhead exercise. It's amazing how much range of movement you loose. Take it easy and you will be back on the bike in no time. Easy riding, no smashing those jumps until you build some bigger catch berms
Thanks mate, I've been given some basic arm movements to do the first two weeks. Will keep the elbo and hand mobility while in the sling.
Then booked for physio from the two week mark.

teK--

Eats Squid
Best wishes for the recovery and post up some pics of your gnarly stitches when you remove the surgery patch!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Best wishes for the recovery and post up some pics of your gnarly stitches when you remove the surgery patch!
Thanks mate.
And thanks again for sending through the training video, hope to get on that once given the ok by the doc.

Last edited:

Scotty675

Cable thief
Persistent pneumonia = no surgery yet. Booked again 4th of September to see surgeon with the hope by then ill be ok to have it fixed on the 5th.
You are having a shocking run. Fingers crossed that goes to plan. Has it knitted yet or can you still feel it moving?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You are having a shocking run. Fingers crossed that goes to plan. Has it knitted yet or can you still feel it moving?
Its got fibrous connections - so its not horrible pain wise (relatively speaking to what is was, still fuckign hurts). But it still moves a bit - i can make it go clunk if i press on it or move the wrong way.

But no calcification. So that means it could conceivably take years to heal properly on its own. But the fibrous growths will make surgery a bit harder because that will need to be cut away first....

Scotty675

Cable thief
Its got fibrous connections - so its not horrible pain wise (relatively speaking to what is was, still fuckign hurts). But it still moves a bit - i can make it go clunk if i press on it or move the wrong way.

But no calcification. So that means it could conceivably take years to heal properly on its own. But the fibrous growths will make surgery a bit harder because that will need to be cut away first....
That sucks. One of mine they didn't want to do. Had a mate take a look at x-ray who then put me onto a good surgeon. Surgeon took one look and I was straight in. Same thing it was trying to knit but just formed a large ball around the bones that they then have to cut away to plate. Seems a long road but worth it in the end.
Hopefully they stick to the date given to get you on the road to recovery.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That sucks. One of mine they didn't want to do. Had a mate take a look at x-ray who then put me onto a good surgeon. Surgeon took one look and I was straight in. Same thing it was trying to knit but just formed a large ball around the bones that they then have to cut away to plate. Seems a long road but worth it in the end.
Hopefully they stick to the date given to get you on the road to recovery.
Yep, just waiting on the lungs - i would have been done weeks ago otherwise! I fully support a cautious approach form anaesthesiologists, just sucks waiting whilst in pain and feeling like shit.

And damn you have no idea how much i need a good blast around the trails - it is my primary mental health maintenance!!

Last edited: