Another Gearbox Bike

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Looks really good. Not pretty, but practical.
I pictured the primary chain going through that round hole on the mounting plate when I saw the frame only pics.
Details please, geo, wheelbase, Chain stay, BB height, head angle, travel, and Weight? Doesn't look like it'd be that heavy really, sub 19kg?
Nice spec. Nice bike. Hope to see it in the flesh one day.
You must be stoked. Does it ride well?

Last edited:

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MMMmmmmm left hand drive :p Really well done!
Done anything other than a car park test on it yet? Very keen to hear a ride report!

Now I'm even more keen to get ours done :)

Oh, and are you concerned about getting chain oil on your disc rotor?

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Nice work!

Would it be possible to swap the cranks over + the alfine and have it drive the normal side to get the chain away from the rotor?

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I take that it's a 9/10 speed thingy in your drive?

Can you please post a pic of the rear brake-chain-to-drive thingy?

Look how simplified the rear triangle is! looks like there is life for a single pivot system!

:cool:

HAR

Likes Bikes
If you were worried about the chain and disc being on the same side, I've seen companies out there making front hubs with a disc mount on both sides, they were for dual front discs on tandems or something, and then run the brake to the right side like the original GT IT1 did.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
are you talking about gatorbrake and the 8pot caliper twin front one rear, (totaling 24pistons of braking power) and the era of putting moto forks on dh bikes for new world disorder hucks

JeremyW

Likes Dirt
MMMmmmmm left hand drive :p Really well done!
Done anything other than a car park test on it yet? Very keen to hear a ride report!

Now I'm even more keen to get ours done :)

Oh, and are you concerned about getting chain oil on your disc rotor?
Still haven't ridden it much yet, Alfine 11 doesn't like the ratio I'm running.
Plan is to go belt drive once everything is sorted, so no more oil.

Details please, geo, wheelbase, Chain stay, BB height, head angle, travel, and Weight? Doesn't look like it'd be that heavy really, sub 19kg?
Rough geo measurement in low position with forks slammed:

HA 64.5
CS 428
BB 345
WB 1190

Weight was between 18.5 and 19kg last time I checked

JeremyW

Likes Dirt
Have finally had some time to make a few changes and do some testing. No problems with chain and disc on same side yet.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Have finally had some time to make a few changes and do some testing. No problems with chain and disc on same side yet.
I guess your cool tensioner location stops the chain flapping about and flicking lube about near the rotor.
Is the tensioner an old mech hanger? Cool. Got any close up pics of how you did it?
Ride report?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
are you talking about gatorbrake and the 8pot caliper twin front one rear, (totaling 24pistons of braking power) and the era of putting moto forks on dh bikes for new world disorder hucks

Holy crap! Those rotors must be near 300mm.

What a beast!

To the OP, you should be proud, that's an awesome looking bit of engineering you have there. Very impressive.

rtd

Likes Dirt
I guess your cool tensioner location stops the chain flapping about and flicking lube about near the rotor.
First thing I thought of was a problem with the chain throwing dirt and possibly lube, or a mix of the two, up the guts of the caliper and/or onto the disc. Would be interested to see how long the pads last.

Looks amazing though, awesome job.

JeremyW

Likes Dirt
Is the tensioner an old mech hanger? Cool. Got any close up pics of how you did it?
Ride report?
Yeah, tensioner is made out of an old X0 cage. Just a temporary setup to do some testing.
Will get someone else to do a ride report sometime soon.

aanon

Likes Dirt
Just stumbled across this, awesome.
Notice the shock position has changed during the build.
Look forward to seeing and reading more.
Good work mate.