Another heavy aluminium bike...

datnat

Likes Dirt
Well, Zaf has set the bar high for PYR threads in recent times, so I apologise in advance for a quick and dirty version of my own new 'long & slack' attempt.
Also no DSLR, just the trusty phone for photos, best I can offer.

This journey started with an XL Banshee, then a L Mondraker Foxy to test out this different approach to MTB geometry, after reading Chris Porter's musings on the subject.

Fair to say it was working for me so some correspondence with Paul at Geometron enquiring after a G15, resulted in a phone call to Chris where by he politely stopped me 30 seconds into the call and summed up what I was after and convinced me the G16 was the better choice, albeit running it with 29 up front and 27.5 rear to avoid the more cumbersome handling a rear 29 wheel would offer in tight and technical riding.
I will look into a spare 29 rear for longer/less technical riding, after getting some time on the bike.
Size wise I was thinking a Longest, however Chris also convinced me an Extra Longest would be the better choice for riding ergonomics and stability, and to be honest from the brief driveway test, he is right.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to head out for a ride yet.

Kit choice was driven by what I already had and liked/could afford, with Mojo helping out with the cranks, fork and shock as a package.

Think it has come up nicely, don't be deceived by the photos, the axle to axle is 1350mm, with wheelbase at around 1400mm.

Some quick numbers: HA is 62.5 degrees, seat tube is 77 degrees, reach is 535mm.

Frame
- Geometron G16 Extra Long 155mm/175mm
Rear shock - EXT Storia Lok 155mm
Front shock/fork - RS Lyrik RC2 29" 160mm (42mm offset)
Handlebars - Deity Black Label 25mm rise
Stem - Renthal Apex 31mm
Headset - Hope
Grips - Renthal
Saddle - WTB
Seatpost - Bikeyoke Revive
Front brake - Hope E4
Rear brake - Hope E4
Cranks - Hope Boost with 32T
Chainguide - MRP
Chain - KMC
Pedals - Crank Bros Mallet DH
Rear derailleur - XT 11sp
Rear shifter - XTR
Cassette - XT 11-42T
Front Wheel - DT Swiss E1700 Spline 2 25mm int
Rear Wheel - DT Swiss E1700 Spline 2 25mm int
Spokes - DT Swiss
Tyres - F: Conti Trail King 29x2.4, R: Maxxis Aggressor 27.5x2.3
Tubes - Nein...
Total weight - 14.92kg on the trusty Aldi luggage scales

Some gratuitous pics, the attention to detail is impressive, although wouldn't expect anything less from Nicolai!

Cheers

First 'ride'
With the shoulder recovery coming along, and the virus shook, decided to go for a sedate spin around the local reserve tracks, Nothing special but enough rough, mediocre descending and climbing to get a feel for the bike.
Riding position: it is different to all other bike before it...you don;t feel 'in' or 'on' the bike, rather 'with' the bike (lame I know).
Up: Took the bike on some sustained climbing, up over roots, through sandy soil and sandstone ledges with a couple of rough pinches. On sustained climbs it is a sit and grind bike, but the position my body is in is not hunched, rather feel like I am in a position which allows me to breath, and almost like standing on the pedals, while sitting! I feel the bar height is just about right, and the saddle could possibly come forward a touch, but on the pinch climbs it was calm and balanced, not trying to lift the front wheel, or spinning the rear. The rear didn't get hung up over roots either, and just kept moving forward/up. I knew this bike was not a climbing machine (nor am I for that matter!), however the initial feeling is it will be more than capable of getting to the party...
Down: Balanced, plush, quick! I was trying hard to be conscious of how the rear end felt, but it was very hard as it was so composed and dealt with the fast and slow hits that I was more distracted with the forks, which felt like it was struggling (more setup time required, to get it right) with the fast hits. Was confidence inspiring to say the least, more time is required to report with any more detail.

Best I can provide at this stage, I am hoping to get up to Maydena soon, to get in some longer and more challenging descents to set up the suspension and get a better feel for the whole package.

Safe to say I am already impressed.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Holy f!@k! Please tell me you live in NSW. You and me need to have an XL love in, we might even invite that loser @Zaf to be the third wheel.

PS Is your phone a Samsung? The pictures look damn good.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

awesomeHi5.jpg
Nicolai bros!!!

Phone camera photos in proper lighting > DLSR with a penlight.
Those cable routing points are fantastic!

You need to get that business of not having ridden it yet sorted ASAP!!!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad to see another raw aluminium bike emerge from a garage. Looks superb, and super slack at the front. Slacker than a politician's grip of the facts. :^) That front tyre is very plump and I'm keen to hear how you get on with it on i25mm rims. I'm running the same on my 129mm rims and the little bristles on fresh tyres were rubbing the Marshguard!

I love the cable routing and the welding too. Very interested to hear the ride report.
Great choice!

Oddjob

Nicolai bros!!!

Unless the phone is an iphone in which case it will always look shit. Better lighting just makes it more obvious.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Fair to say it was working for me so some correspondence with Paul at Geometron enquiring after a G15, resulted in a phone call to Chris where by he politely stopped me 30 seconds into the call and summed up what I was after and convinced me the G16 was the better choice, albeit running it with 29 up front and 27.5 rear to avoid the more cumbersome handling a rear 29 wheel would offer in tight and technical riding.
I'd be interested to hear more - what kind of terrain are you riding with this?

Some of these long and slack bikes have such a massive reach that I'd think as someone who normally rides XLs I might size down.

Is the thinking that you stick with the sizing you'd normally go with and readjust your riding style?

Z

Zaf

@Tubbsy To quote Chris Porter on it "Reach is a nonsense number unless you're shaped like a T-Square". As such, the reach numbers are really deceiving on these bikes. My Large G15 is listed as having a 515mm Reach, but the cockpit, even with the small 40mm stem on it feels about the same as my Large Trek Slash (459mm) with a 50mm stem. I would have sized up but wanted to run a 200mm dropper and doing so would add too much seatpost to do this. As it stands I'll probably get a 50mm stem for the bike and extend the cockpit a little anyway.

The bike industry needs to start measuring cockpits from handlebars to center of the seat-clamp (or BB to handlebar ends), as this actually has relevance. Just a very hard thing to do with seat tube angles and different extension heights, so "reach" is all we've got.

I wouldn't be sizing down, personally, but it's hard to make the judgement for others. I would be trusting whatever Nicolai/Mojo recommend with their sizing structure and in conversations with them. The perceived size of the cockpit is in no way relative to the measurements of it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Zaf I must admit it is a bit confusing at times. My Ripley LS is meant to be 'Long and Slack' yet it has very short reach in XL.

It fits OK, although I reckon I'd be a bit more confident with a bit more length out front. Who wouldn't?

Reactions: Zaf

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That is art. Those cable guides are awesome too. Very nice! Looking forward to a ride report too.

datnat

Likes Dirt
Holy f!@k! Please tell me you live in NSW. You and me need to have an XL love in, we might even invite that loser @Zaf to be the third wheel.

PS Is your phone a Samsung? The pictures look damn good.

Sorry no in Tassie...yes is a Samsung S6, was worried they would not be worthy, so happy to hear they passed muster;). The more involved in the XL love in the better....o_O

View attachment 346447
Nicolai bros!!!

Have been impressed with these little cable guides. I actually made one for the non drive chain stay from the polyethylene material I had lying around, as is was just the milled lug, and thought it would be better than the cable rubbing on the sharp edges of the lug.
Yes! A litany of circumstances have resulted in nil ride opportunity...notwithstanding me keeping the neighbourhood dogs awake at night with a dirty barking cough/cold currently. The suspense is killing me!

Glad to see another raw aluminium bike emerge from a garage. Looks superb, and super slack at the front. Slacker than a politician's grip of the facts. :^) That front tyre is very plump and I'm keen to hear how you get on with it on i25mm rims. I'm running the same on my 129mm rims and the little bristles on fresh tyres were rubbing the Marshguard!

I love the cable routing and the welding too. Very interested to hear the ride report.
Great choice!
Nice analogy...:D The rim width is based on another bit of advice from Chris, trying to find a happy medium between grip and rolling resistance. Previously had a set of Hope/LB 32mm internal rims, were quite nice, keen to try something different. The Conti is around 61mm side to side wall. I had been eying off a Hope Pro 4/EX471 custom build set front and back, however the hubs and rims disappeared from stock from nearly every store, and I don't have the time to build a set myself. A bit of research on the E1700 turned up some positive experiences, pricing was good. I try my best to be a smooth rider, and am not into big jumps so fingers crossed I have some luck with them. Am going to research cushcore for some added peace of mind. There is good clearance front and back.

I'd be interested to hear more - what kind of terrain are you riding with this?

Some of these long and slack bikes have such a massive reach that I'd think as someone who normally rides XLs I might size down.

Is the thinking that you stick with the sizing you'd normally go with and readjust your riding style?
Living in Tassie, good trails are hard to come by....you know Maydena/Derby/Hobart and anything else that pops up in the future...:p On a more serious note, the feedback from current owners in the UK is that this hybrid wheel set up works very well, with the 29er providing good roll over, stable steering, and the 27.5 providing better turn in and change of direction as required. Will see I guess!
As for the reach, Zaf has already covered this with some CP quotes, and to add to that Chris advised as follows with regards to frame sizing:

(when querying L vs XL) "...go for XL. The difference is just 20mm in reach...You can run the saddle all the way forward instead of in the middleand gain all of that back (thereby giving you a better drive over the cranks and putting you in a better position to avoid hovering on the nose of the saddle on steep climbs)...the extra wheelbase allows you to move even more increasing the rider space so you can play with the bike even more!...
(comparing L to XL)...I think you'll have almost the same riding position! It will be slightly further from cranks to handlebar but that will allow you to use your arms more to spread the load and to push the front wheel in the ground in corners. You will use your legs slightly less when riding rough terrain so potentially less core strain. The better pedalling position will be a big boost for lower back issues!..."
Made sense to me!

Size wise is best to consult with the manufacturer, as above, Chris's input was welcomed, and he is a similar height to me, and he has been on the XXL, but has recently dropped back to the XL, and has even been riding 29 front and back on and off, although apparently preferring the hybrid.

Looks awesome without a gearbox :D Those cable guides are proper.

Great photos too, congrats dude!
Thanks mate!

That is art. Those cable guides are awesome too. Very nice! Looking forward to a ride report too.
Thanks, will definitely follow up

Phew!

Cheers

Last edited:

datnat

Likes Dirt
QUOTE="Tubbsy, post: 3195680, member: 42018"]Thanks for the detailed response! How tall are you, for reference?[/QUOTE]

188cm

rstim

Likes Dirt
What a sweet ride, definately on dream list of bikes especially after seeing my first Nicolai in the flesh on the weekend at the Sprung Froth off. It was a black G18 so your not alone riding a geometron in Tas.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Oddjob

What's the story with Mojo, Geomotron and Nicolai? Are they subsidiaries or distros of Nocolai?

datnat

Likes Dirt