Another noob question - supporting bike from dropper post

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hi, is it ok to clamp the bike into a bike stand by dropper post (inner extending/retracting post, not outer fixed section) without causing damage to the dropper?
I'm aware that the post can support more than the bikes weight in compression, but unsure if if can support the bike in extension
Thanks,

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not really a good idea to do, there's a few different causes but basically it can suck air into the hydraulic oil. It's pretty common on KS droppers then you end up with the dreaded sagging issues. I would extent the post out of the seat tube a bit and clamp onto it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
All my bikes hang by the nose of the saddle in a storage area, on 'I' beams that have had carpet stuck to them so not to scuff the saddle. We have 5 bikes with droppers and have never had an issue in ~3 years.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
All my bikes hang by the nose of the saddle in a storage area, on 'I' beams that have had carpet stuck to them so not to scuff the saddle. We have 5 bikes with droppers and have never had an issue in ~3 years.
But thats not clamping the posts stanchion.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
If the post is topped out, I don’t see how any internal mechanism related failure could ensue from hanging it from the saddle.

I also clamp the moving part of the post. Life’s too short to worry about shit like that.

And don’t listen to me, listen to him:

Flow-Rider

Burner
If the post is topped out, I don’t see how any internal mechanism related failure could ensue from hanging it from the saddle.
If the seal has passed oil on the piston shaft and not the seals on the IFP or you forget to fully extend the seat post or the post wasn't fully filled up with oil (which I have seen from new) air from the IFP pushes down on the oil and the post still works relatively OK but reduces the travel of the post a little and when you pull up on the post it causes a vacuum then it aerates the oil.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It's not really a good idea to do, there's a few different causes but basically it can suck air into the hydraulic oil. It's pretty common on KS droppers then you end up with the dreaded sagging issues. I would extent the post out of the seat tube a bit and clamp onto it.
It can’t suck air if it’s at full extension when you hang it / pick it up etc.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It can’t suck air if it’s at full extension when you hang it / pick it up etc.
They don't always get full extension or you might think that you have. As above your post or go bleed a few KS droppers and you'll soon understand what I'm explaining.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
They don't always get full extension or you might think that you have. As above your post or go bleed a few KS droppers and you'll soon understand what I'm explaining.
Horses mouth:

You can only lift from the saddle when the post is at full extension ... as this is the only position where the post can no longer extend.
I never pick my levs up by the saddle unless at full extension. They hang off joists for storage and get clamped (with rubber glove) in the workstand. Never a problem.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

Flow-Rider

Burner
Was referring to...
I wouldn't clamp any hydraulic post or fork stanchion, but hanging it at full extension with full bike weight is no worries.

On the KS lev's clamping on the mast is one of the worst things that anyone can ever do because that's where your IFP runs on the inside and it doesn't take much to make them bypass air as it is, it's where most droppers fail just from the wear of the seals and inner tube of the mast without any help of distortion from clamping.