Another over the hill Gold Coast rider

Scott_W

Likes Bikes
Apparently I joined in the old Farkin days, but I haven't posted since 2008.
Now I'm 40, have kids and a mortgage and can't afford ski trips to Japan every year, so I've jumped back on the bike.

I still have the same HT from 12 years ago, but it's a HT with an 80mm(ish) coil fork and it was terrible for pedalling up hills. Apparently it's a DH/DJ frame, so who knows. After taking it to boomers and having my hands take 2 weeks to recover from the pump I decided I needed a dual squish.

So in January I splurged on a cheap Norco Fluid 29 that a mate was selling at a good price. I didn't really want a 29er, but I'm cheap, so I bought it. Much better around Nerang, but after 2 trips to Boomers I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill it.

So last week I purchased a 26" DH bike! I took it to the Coomera dirt jumps to try it out and it rides mint. This weekend it's hopefully getting it's first proper trip out at NV!

I've converted the HT to single speed and changed to some lighter tyres. Now I have a bike for all occasions.

It's great to get back out and riding.

Attachments

ausdb

Being who he is
Welcome back (was that in Farkin days?) , I think there's a few here like that who have strayed over the years and have returned to the fold.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I remember that the reason for moving from Farkin was the corporatisation of this place.

Can't have such profanity when the big conglomerates need their wheels greased.

Personally, I love the capitalism of Rotorburn. We should go public!

Scott_W

Likes Bikes
I remember that the reason for moving from Farkin was the corporatisation of this place.

Can't have such profanity when the big conglomerates need their wheels greased.

Personally, I love the capitalism of Rotorburn. We should go public!
Yep, that was my recollection. No company would pay to advertise on, or want to be aligned with a website called Farkin. Make sense as the original name was a pisstake anyway and they didn't think it would grow as popular as it did.