Dial Range, Penguin Tasmania!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Wow it's been a big month for mountain biking in Tassie!
It has just been announced that the Cradle Coast Mountain Bike Club have been successful with a Cycle Tourism Strategy grant application for Stage 1 of the Dial Range Master plan.
The grant from the state government adds to the $58,000 contribution from Central Coast Council and $13,000 from our own club, to a grand total of $142,000
The project is the first stage of the Dial Range Strategic Trail Plan which details the clubs vision for the Dial Range. The planned 5km loop trail will connect to the Penguin MTB park network and provide a unique wilderness riding experience in close proximity to the town centre. It will increase the number of events that can be staged at the park.
The project could not have kicked off without the support of the Central Coast Council, Cradle Coast Authority, the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife and bipartisan support from Braddon MP’s and the club members involved.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
it just gets better and better, even more justification to pack up stumps in Brissie and move family to a much more slower pace and lifestyle that just happens to now be abundant with trails and riding...... loving it.....

mark22

Likes Dirt
my family also.... may take a year or a bit longer but its in the works....
Best go down during winter it is looonnng and shite, especially coming from Brisbane.
I'm not sure how Maydena is going to go "open all year" I suspect some tracks will have to be closed as Blue Tier in Derby was over winter.

Stredda

Best go down during winter it is looonnng and shite, especially coming from Brisbane.
I'm not sure how Maydena is going to go "open all year" I suspect some tracks will have to be closed as Blue Tier in Derby was over winter.
Depends on the soil type and how hard it gets hammered. The Derby trails now they have settled don't need to be closed but Blue Tier is newer and also has some different soil types which aren't as free draining. If they have a big enough network once complete they may be able to manage the impact by opening and closing certain trails at different times.
I remember the far end of the Dam Busters trail when they ran the first Marathon Champs there, and the trail was a mess, but that was when is was still relatively new. Now it's solid as all year round after settling for over two years now. It will be a challenge in Maydena though as they get some decent rainfall down there.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Nice work! Used to live around there as a kid, many happy bushwalks and adventures in that part of the world. Keen to ride these one day soon

Stredda

It’s been a bit of a battle with Parks and Wildlife but the start of construction for stage 2 of the Dial Range trails will start in about a week and be complete in about 5 months time.
It will add another 8km of trail to the existing Montgomery Loop that was opened November last year. It with feature awesome views from the summit of Mt Dial and a 5km descent returning you to the second descent on the Montgomery Loop.

Attachments

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
This is going to be awesome. For those who haven’t ridden it the Monty loop is some sweet riding, and there’s a ton of potential terrain in the area. Well worth the 30 minute detour off the ferry if you are coming from the mainland.

Stredda

This is going to be awesome. For those who haven’t ridden it the Monty loop is some sweet riding, and there’s a ton of potential terrain in the area. Well worth the 30 minute detour off the ferry if you are coming from the mainland.
The new loop plus the Monty loop extension will bump the Dial/Penguin trails up to around 20km and the Dial loop will be a dark blue and be a more natural looking trail and has great rock feature potential compared to the Monty loop. Hope Parks allow a bit more creative trail naming. Montgomery loop was the only think we were allowed to call the first trail. Not even Monty Loop was acceptable (which is what everyone calls it) :rolleyes:

Stredda

The Montgomery Loop extension is complete and open adding an extra km to the loop and the new Mt Dial climb and descent is progressing well, with one Next Level MTB crew working upwards and one working down.
Nice and rocky and full of tech!