Dial Range, Penguin Tasmania!

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Cranked this out today with my 11 year old. The loop from the Penguin MTB park came in at a shade under 20km and 437m worth of climbing, so it was a good effort from the young lad. And indeed it is a most tasty bit of trail. Quite a rocky and technical climb up to the lookout, followed by a very involved descent, with a really nice mix of natural rock features and gardens, plenty of hooking berms and a couple of very decently sized drops to round it off. The park down the bottom has also obviously had a bit of love recently, and has plenty of variety. Just another crap day out on the bike in Tassie really...

Last edited:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No need to lower the draw bridge too soon. The riders of Sicktoria must be bustin' to get out.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Cranked this out today with my 11 year old. The loop from the Penguin MTB park came in at a shade under 20km and 437m worth of climbing, so it was a good effort from the young lad. And indeed it is a most tasty bit of trail. Quite a rocky and technical climb up to the lookout, followed by a very involved descent, with a really nice mix of natural rock features and gardens, plenty of hooking berms and a couple of very decently sized drops to round it off. The park down the bottom has also obviously had a bit of love recently, and has plenty of variety. Just another crap day out on the bike in Tassie really...

How was the climb up? It’s was pretty muddy opening weekend, we had 60+mm of rain the day before.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
How was the climb up? It’s was pretty muddy opening weekend, we had 60+mm of rain the day before.
It's still sloppy in spots, mostly lower down on the Monty loop except for a short section up the top of the Iron Tor trail just before crossing the walking track, but all rideable.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Iron Tor has it’s own T-shirt! “Skull Rock”
Available for the guys at Trail Project
trailproject.com.au
Nice ! Would have bought one if I got to ride Iron Tor. It was the only place we planned to ride but didnt... due to the rain bouncing 300mm off the tarmac carpark at the Penguin skills park. It fckn hammered down for most of the day before we got on the boat.

Have been told by a few mates who have ridden it that the Iron Tor trails is as good a trail as they have ever ridden.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Nice ! Would have bought one if I got to ride Iron Tor. It was the only place we planned to ride but didnt... due to the rain bouncing 300mm off the tarmac carpark at the Penguin skills park. It fckn hammered down for most of the day before we got on the boat.

Have been told by a few mates who have ridden it that the Iron Tor trails is as good a trail as they have ever ridden.
Slog of a climb and if I’m doing it it must be a bloody good descent. It definitely had me wishing for an ebike. Granted it was quite heavy ground… yeah that’s it, Heavy Ground haha.

PJO

in me vL comy

It's a damn good trail. Fantastic mix of tech and flow. Put it down for your next trip.

The climb to get there is solid, and if wet; slippery and harder, but well worth the effort.

geekman

Squid

Had my last run in Tassie down Iron Tor after 3 weeks travelling around and it was absolutely one of the best. Did a few laps of the jumps in the skills park then rolled straight into Penguin brewery, perfect end to the trip

Stredda

Yes, when you get back here, you definitely need to do it.

Stredda

On the back of the Penguin MTB Park redevelopment, we have also secured funding for some expansion with the Dial Range trails.

We have funds to extend the Ironcliffe Ridge trail from where it currently finishes at the summit of Mt Dial and continue it on to the MT Gnomon car park.
1693957083877.jpeg

1693957157050.png

One other addition that is in the works but hasn't got funding just yet is an alternative descent on the Montgomery Loop trail that will give a more "Iron Tor" like descent to keep that buzz going a bit longer after Iron Tor joint the Montgomery Loop.
1693957174887.jpeg