Any Kona Kula (07/08) Riders out there?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy Farkers,

Looking to get a new bike and like the look of the K Kula. The LBS were good enough to let me have a decent spin on the 07 and I liked it.

Quick enough question. Any Kula riders out there that can tell me their thoughts? I've got the option to get either 07/08 model. Would love to hear some thoughts.

Cheers,

Coaster

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
It might be a bit outdated .

But i have a K Kula 05 model. I'm not sure if much has changed on the frame since then but i remember when i first put my leg over one it defiantly has a very racy cockpit. Long and not overly stretched. I remember my first time climbing on that beast and it was great! The stretch out cockpit allowed for plenty of movement to adjust your weight accordingly.
Usually frames created from the kona company have a very north shore feel to it, i mean they do have a very successful XC crit team but the headangle on my bike felt a bit laid back than other frames ( my quantitative guess would be 0.5 deg slacker?) , but that could of been because of the 100mm fork up front who knows.

Im sorry i can say much else because its an older model and not sure if it ould still be the same. But when i got it stock itself was pretty damn light already. And after 2 or so years (XTR brakes, CK headset) it came in 11.5kgs with bottlecage, pump, dirt and pedals.

My take, if you can get it down to a good price get it!. And it will last you a good long time. I still have mine as a frame!!

PS. The quality of kona paintjobs are quite bad. It chips very very easily.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It might be a bit outdated .

Usually frames created from the kona company have a very north shore feel to it, i mean they do have a very successful XC crit team but the headangle on my bike felt a bit laid back than other frames ( my quantitative guess would be 0.5 deg slacker?) , but that could of been because of the 100mm fork up front who knows.
Thanks for that feedback Gekigengar. That cockpit feel is exactly what I like about it. I'll wonder down next weekend and have another spin and get serious. Sounds like a go'er.

Another question though, the spec between 08 and 09 are pretty similar apart from the brakes. 08 has Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic V6's, 09 has Shimano 575's. What are Hayes brakes like? I keep hearing about the Shimano and juicy, but never really hear too much about Hayes.

Cheers,

Coaster

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
Hayes

Another question though, the spec between 08 and 09 are pretty similar apart from the brakes. 08 has Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic V6's, 09 has Shimano 575's. What are Hayes brakes like? I keep hearing about the Shimano and juicy, but never really hear too much about Hayes.

Cheers,

Coaster
I love my strokers, there were heaps given away at the 8hr on the weekend so you should start hearing about them. They are super powerful, one finger breaking but then offer enough control for manuals! I should attach a vid file...

mcray

Likes Bikes
Hey Coaster
I have no idea about the new models and certinally no expert in this area. I can only offer my personal opinion but I have the Kona Kula Deluxe; hands down (for me) the best little bike ever...

Whether I'm xc racing, mtboing, doing adventure stuff, teaching, commuting, leading a newbie women's road ride to Yass and back (using slicks) it always holds up and forgive’s my 'oops'!

In the 2 1/2 years I've owned my little beast I'm still running the original derailleur’s, Hayne's Nine brakes and I do the regular replacement and maintenance on the usual wear and tear parts.

Top bike: highly recommended, worth every penny spent to buy and maintain!!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Coaster
I have no idea about the new models and certinally no expert in this area. I can only offer my personal opinion but I have the Kona Kula Deluxe; hands down (for me) the best little bike ever...

Whether I'm xc racing, mtboing, doing adventure stuff, teaching, commuting, leading a newbie women's road ride to Yass and back (using slicks) it always holds up and forgive’s my 'oops'!

In the 2 1/2 years I've owned my little beast I'm still running the original derailleur’s, Hayne's Nine brakes and I do the regular replacement and maintenance on the usual wear and tear parts.

Top bike: highly recommended, worth every penny spent to buy and maintain!!
Great feedback, thanks. That's it, unless I get some horrific deal or information it looks like I have a new steed. See you at the Yowie!!!