Anyone a Paramedic or an Ambo....or work for QAS

Doggy

Inconceivable!
The time has come for me to contemplate a career change. 7 or so years of being a sparky is beginning to get to me. The thought of being an ambo has appealed to me for a while and now I am semi seriously contemplating it. Anyone here had or still has any experience with the ambo's as a career, more specifically the QAS as a career??
A few questions I have indeed.
What sort of training is required to be an ambo?

I have 6 or so years experience in one of the most active SES units in Qld, having done search and rescue, vertical rescue, flood rescue, body recovery and so on so have first aid skills and other skills from that, CPR and such from working as a spark and 10 years or so working. How much of this is going to be useable

What sort of coin and what hours?

I am not delusional about coin. Fair enough I would be on basically trainee wages or apprentice wages so to speak when learning but once reasonably qualified(after a year or so) what sort of income am I looking at. I take home between 1000 to 1500 a week now so are the wages anywhere around that??
And for that matter what are the hours like, I have a mate in the firies whose roster is 4 on/4 off. Are the ambos like that or is it slightly different. My reason for asking being that on the days off I can work as a spark do domestic work for extra coin.

Initial training/getting in and such?

What sort of time frame is the initial training and what does it encompass? Fitness wise I am not bothered, I have that covered but I am more concerned with the medical side of things. What does that entail?

I think thats about it. Any other info would be greatly appreciated, admittedly I am not looking at doing it this year, possibly next. Its either that or doing electrical engineering and I am kinda over electrical but it doesn't hurt to cover one's bases and stick the feelers out

wombat

Lives in a hole
Isn't paramedics a degree career? I'm sure that's what one of my friends was doing at Bathurst Uni...

sunny

Likes Dirt
QLD Ambo

Hey There,

My partner was looking into this while we were in QLD. They do have student paramedics, so you can get paid while you're training/studying. I'm sure you've looked at the website, www.ambulance.gov.au...but if you haven't it does have lots of information there. Each state is different (we're now in Vic, and I don't think they have student paramedics here).
There are lots of tests (physical, psychological etc) which are all at your own expense. From memory there were about 6 things which needed to be paid (current first aid being one of them, which you already have by the sounds of it). The fact that you have SES experience is taken into consideration (as all these details are asked for with the application).
Having said that, it is possible that everything has changed since we were up there. You may as well try, the worst that can happen is that you decide it's not for you and you find something else. Good luck with it all.

Nat1973

Cannon Fodder
QAS Student Paramedic

Hi Doggy,

Just wanted to let you know I'm currently a Student Paramedic with QAS, have just started. Any information you want to know, please don't hesitate to ask. I did the same thing prior to joining.

Regards,
Nat

Joy

Likes Dirt
This is also something I'm quite interested. I've been reading extensively about the QUT degree, is there anyone out there who does that specifically?

douthwaite

Cannon Fodder
QAS Interview questions

Hi Nat,

I am about to go through the application process to become a QAS student paramedic. I have a few questions regarding the aptitude test and interview.

Can you help me out with any information?

Congrats on becoming a student paramedic!

Thanks Nat

Bec

douthwaite

Cannon Fodder
QAS Student paramedic

Hi,

I am just about to go through the application process. Does anyone have any information that could help?

Thanks
Bec

craig1972

Cannon Fodder
Student Paramedic

Hey Bec,

Im apply for a student paramedic position and have recently passed all of the different sections, just waiting for an interview date now. If you want to know any info just let me know know.

If you let me know your email address Ill drop you a line.

Thanks
Craig

Piglet

Cannon Fodder
I have completed and passed all stages of the recruitment process including the interview. The interview format has recently changed to block interviews and I am applying to re-sit the interview to increase my chances of gaining a position. It's a very, slow process isn't it?

Piglet

Cannon Fodder
Well that's a fine how-do-you-do(way to welcome people!). I can answer that question as it appears to be directed at me. There is limited information on the internet in regards to the finer details of QAS recruitment so when you google "student paramedic" and a forum is discussing it then you jump into it with both feet. I'm sure that the original thread poster is delighted that there are forum scanners willing to take the time to join this little group and respond to them.

Bolto74

Cannon Fodder
Student Paramedic

Hi All,

I have applied for QAS Student Paramedic. Have my Aptitude Test mid July.
I'm crapping myself with this testing. Its been a while since ive been to school and was wondering if anyone has a bit of a run down on what to expect in the testing. Eg: Numerical, verbal and Abstract Reasoning Questions. I'm very, very nervous
Regards,
Dave
:confused:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Well that's a fine how-do-you-do(way to welcome people!). I can answer that question as it appears to be directed at me. There is limited information on the internet in regards to the finer details of QAS recruitment so when you google "student paramedic" and a forum is discussing it then you jump into it with both feet. I'm sure that the original thread poster is delighted that there are forum scanners willing to take the time to join this little group and respond to them.
Indeed, I've found the info most helpful but with my wife not working full time at the moment and paying off a house I've had to shelve my plans for the moment and stick with electrical and money. Maybe sometime later I can still do it

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
I wonder what requirements you lot have in Australia regarding citizenship. I am an EMT/Firefighter in the US, but I'm moving to Australia on a subclass 457. My wife will also have a subclass 457 and she wants to work in the EMS/Paramedic field. I'm just not sure if she'd be allowed to based on our citizenship (or lack of) in Australia.

agoer

Likes Dirt
My brother has recently done the same as you, except in NSW.

He went from a 100k a year job down to a 1500 per frntight job. I cant remember how long his training is but once he is done he is an a trainee Ambo. He then has x amount of time to finish a task book (just like an apprentice) and some distance education, then he is a fully qualed Ambo. He then after time and distance ed can become a paramedic. NSW has just had a big wage change and are doing 4 on 5 off, they lost a heap of penalties and therefore lost a heap of money. But even as a trainee ambo O/T is available and he can earn up to 750 or so on a sunday night for O/T.

A big congrats to you for deciding to forgo money and put some back into the community (I am currently in the process of joining the Police).

G

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
I wonder what requirements you lot have in Australia regarding citizenship. I am an EMT/Firefighter in the US, but I'm moving to Australia on a subclass 457. My wife will also have a subclass 457 and she wants to work in the EMS/Paramedic field. I'm just not sure if she'd be allowed to based on our citizenship (or lack of) in Australia.
i'm not sure on the Visa aspect, but i would also investigate skills transference. While you are certified in the US, you may need to re-certify in australia. I know that some states in the US require state or federal certification, and some just require local.

Best check with the department your wife intends to apply with. They could also sponsor her working visa application.

Piglet

Cannon Fodder
Bolto/Dave, Craig and I have just been accepted as students and we start next monday (can't tell you how excited we are). One of my firends just resat her aptitude test as she failed the maths part of it last time. The questions change constantly but I can give you a fair idea of what they are after.
The tests are designed to see how you think under pressure and you are not given much time to do them. Don't think you can complete them in the time alloted, you'd have to be in mensa to do so. Ok, english(I think it was 15 mins): just work on your grammar, their, there, they're etc, and do a lot of crosswords. There are a few questions in there like Tom is shorter than Pam, so who has red hair? Maths(I think it was 20 mins): just practice your basics like multiples, percentages etc, and number sequences. The last part of the test is dead easy with unlimited time allowed. I did heaps of IQ tests online and breased through the test. Practice, practice and practice and you'll be alright. Cheers Zoe