Anyone been to Cobar NSW?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dear husband is going there next week for a look, if all goes well and a good offer is made we could be moving again in about a month! That would mean we've lived in Townsville for just under a year!!

So about 6000 people, mining town, cold in winter, 40 degrees in summer and pretty much desert country. I'm sure the town is like any other with all the necessities.

Most importantly what is the riding like? I doubt there's any official mtb tracks There would have to be unofficial ones surely
Guess I could always try and make my own

Since I've just recently brought the Trance, the dream bike (pretty much) I'm worried that it will be like buying a wedding dress with no wedding to go to

Anyone from Cobar here??

On a side note, I guess above is going to the extreme to an extent - just like to find out if there is anyone here from Cobar & if there is any mtb riding interest in the town? Otherwise I'll try & get hubby to do his best to find out for me I guess.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't been there for a few years.

I would be suprised if there was anybody riding out there. From memory the area is pretty flat.

Personally I would avoid trying to live there if you had a choice. There is places with more to offer.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might I suggest some place more interesting? Such as antarctica, or the calahari desert?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's funny! But yes it's a bit like that!

I've discovered that there is a mountain bike club in Broken Hill. Guess I'll have to find my own tracks in Cobar. It's looking pretty likely. Since we've got kids, one will be starting school in a year or two, it would be better to live like normal people (Mon - Friday job) and in mining most of those types of jobs tend to be remote - otherwise it's fly in fly out of a major city.

Remember we don't tend to stay in the one spot for too long - guess we will have to try now that we have kids though. In the last 6 years that we have been together we've probably moved 6 times! Longes we've been in one place so far is 3yrs - so we'll be aiming for at least that amount of time in Cobar.

If we do move soon that will mean a year spent in Townsville! Good way to see Aurstralia since the company usually pays for your relocation. Don't get me wrong though we don't change jobs for that reason - the current place just hasn't given him a carreer path like they said they would. That was the primary reason we moved from Darwin and also the 8 on 6 off roster is on of the best you can get - plus as a bonus we hadn't been to Qld before. Great place would love to stay & see more of it!

It's not that bad - Cobar is only 4hrs from Dubbo or Broken Hill, and about a days drive to Sydney (or Brisbane also?).

Drizz

Likes Dirt
I remember a story about a man and the falconer, it goes something like this:

One day a man approach the falconer and ask him questions about falconeering.

The man remarked to the falconer "......... these falcons are majestic birds of prey and I would love to pick up the art of falconeering. However I don't think the thought of keeping a bird of prey such as falcons will impress my wife, do you have any suggestion?"

To which the falconer replied "Well...... Maybe you need a new wife."

Of course I am not suggesting anything, just telling you a story about falconeering. :p

MasterOfReality

After forever
Yes,

I worked there for over a year, but I am NOT from there.

In two words,

Shit hole.

There are no tracks, unless you want to ride on flat cross country red dirt.

Heaps of pubs and clubs though - Great Western (you can hear some crusty bloke called Keno doing some country and western impersonations here), The Empire (with a massive Tooheys New can on the roof), The Grand, The Occidental (the most popular pub), the golf club and the RSL.

The highest temperature I have seen is 46 degrees, although we recorded 49 degrees in an area with heaps of reflective concrete. Lowest temp, around zero or just under in the mornings.

It is a 3 hour drive to Dubbo and even then you are still in a shithole, and the road is virtually dead straight. Wildlife is a real issue so its a good idea to have a 4WD with bullbar.

Cobar has basically all the amenities you need. The hospital is not that flash, neither are the houses but see if you can get a house in a place called Jandra Estate. Its the new area with modern homes.

There is a private and public primary school, but only a public high school.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Last edited:

TonyG

Likes Dirt
MasterOfReality said:
Yes,

In two words,

Shit hole.

Heaps of pubs and clubs though - Great Western (you can hear some crusty bloke called Keno doing some country and western impersonations here), The Empire (with a massive Tooheys New can on the roof), The Grand, The Occidental (the most popular pub), the golf club and the RSL.

The highest temperature I have seen is 46 degrees, although we recorded 49 degrees in an area with heaps of reflective concrete. Lowest temp, around zero or just under in the mornings.

It is a 3 hour drive to Dubbo and even then you are still in a shithole, and the road is virtually dead straight. Wildlife is a real issue so its a good idea to have a 4WD with bullbar.

Cobar has basically all the amenities you need. The hospital is not that flash, neither are the houses but see if you can get a house in a place called Jandra Estate. Its the new area with modern homes.

Wow, a country town with a pub by the name of The Empire!! That's a first.

For us smokers this sounds like the type of Cross Country trail we need

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MasterOfReality said:
Yes,

In two words,

Shit hole.

Thanks for the reply. We have a 4wd with a bullbar so wildlife won't be that much of a problem. Putting a V8 Chev in it soon too, just plough through the roos then:D although I'd hate to hit a cow!
Probably take us 4hrs to get to Dubbo though - we drive at around 100k speed as it's the most economic fuel wise.
Good to hear the temp doesn't get below zero! I'll have to make sure our house has ceiling fans at least & hopefully air con as well - I've lived in Darwin with no air con so can probably hadle 40deg dry heat. Thanks for the housing tip too.
Yes it will be a bit of a bugger about not having any hills to ride up! As long as I get to ride, and it's on dirt then all is good. After all we're not going to stay there forever.
I've found out that Broken Hill has a mtb club now and hold monthly events, so that's a plus even though I haven't gone down the path of joining a club yet.
I have a better idea of what Dubbo & Broken Hill as Ive spent more time there, we virtually just drove through Cobar so don't remember it much. Well we spent one night at a hotel (pub type) accomodation so I mostly remember that.

Sounds like it will be good to live in for a while, especially if the people are freindly.

Last edited: