Anyone broken an XX1, X01 cassette?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So anyway I was just riding along a bike path, and bang! At first I thought it was a broken chain, so of course yelled out "fucken chain", then a groan from the pain eminating from the groinal area, while wishing I had one of those 1980's BMX stem pads installed on my mountain bike.

However, instead my xx1 cassette was in 2 pieces - namely the 42t sprocket no longer attached to the horrifically expensive machined out of a single billet of tool steel SRAM POS.

Anyway, walked home, pressed it all back together, only to have it fail 5 minutes into the next ride - and no I still hadn't got one of those BMX pads. For those wishing to learn from others misfortunes, I can say the cassette had become a pretty creaky unit in the last few months. A fact I didn't realise till I put a new cassette on and the creaking went away ......

Some pictures for illustration

What it's supposed to look like

image.jpg

What mine now looks like

image.jpg

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That's a warranty claim surely... Even if its out of warranty I'd be asking for a new one.

Did the joining pins fail?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd definitely try the warranty path. Sram are pretty good with warrantying their products.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Agree with warranty, that's not on!

Just curious though...how the fuck would a pad on your stem have helped you?! And how did your groin end up there! Possibly an explanation for the part failure?? :shocked:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Are the tabs from the one piece billet broken off or are the aluminium 42t cogs holes damaged? Looks like it's an interfierence fit between the two. 100% of the power goes thru the aluminium cog to the freehub, there is no connection down at the 10t end for rotational loads.

beejay

Likes Dirt
Hate to say it but have to ask. Over torqued when fitted? It looks like a few of the teeth on the lock ring have snapped off, though could have happened when the cassette failed.
Will agree with the rest though, warranty claim if you can, these things are bloody expensive!!!

slowmick

38-39"
a lot of the higher level SRAM cassette have the round cylinder in them and only minimal splines. I had a X01 chew the life out of my free hub as it was only splined on the 36 tooth. you could see and hear the the cassette twisting under load. back to cheaper 1070 cassettes for me where every sprocket has a spline. stupid weight saving crap at extortionate prices.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pins-look-busted

Thanks-for-the-heads-up,-the-main-reason-I-would-never-go-that-way-is-changing-my
free-hub-body.-The-DT-ratchet-system-is-a-thing-of-simplistic-mechanical-beauty

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
check the pic here:

SRAM_XX1_SF_MG_2009.jpg

...against the first pic in this thread.

Looks like the little ends of the splines that take the lockring tool should be hooked - it appears they hold the whole thing together.

Interesting design choice.. but mostly works I guess. How many k's did you get out of it? the centre barrel looks like it has had a life...

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ratchet system doesn't change when going from normal to XD driver.

BTW, why-does-your-keyboard-have-no-space-bar?
BEER

check the pic here:

View attachment 317445

...against the first pic in this thread.

Looks like the little ends of the splines that take the lockring tool should be hooked - it appears they hold the whole thing together.

Interesting design choice.. but mostly works I guess. How many k's did you get out of it? the centre barrel looks like it has had a life...[/QUOT

Strange-design
Out-of-the-box-the-42-is-a-seperate-item??

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No the aluminium 42t is fixed to the other 10 speeds assembly. Is not supposed to come apart
It is easy to remove and you can now buy replacements. No harm if you remove it, mine sometimes comes off when removing the cassette

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Are the tabs from the one piece billet broken off or are the aluminium 42t cogs holes damaged? Looks like it's an interfierence fit between the two. 100% of the power goes thru the aluminium cog to the freehub, there is no connection down at the 10t end for rotational loads.
It's the aluminium cog that has been damaged as the tabs have pulled out, hence just pressing together didn't fix it.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No the aluminium 42t is fixed to the other 10 speeds assembly. Is not supposed to come apart
so-it-comes-down-to-3-things..they-farked-up-at-the-factory-where-they-produce-thousands-and-thousands-
of-these-things-and-didn't-rivet-it-properly-or-there's-not-enough-torque-in-user-assembly..........or
OP-is-a-absolute-machine