Anyone else had issues with Jamis build quality? Help please.

suktrona

Likes Bikes
photo.jpg

This is a shot of my Jamis parker I (09 by memory) its had an easy life, used purely for trail riding, a spot of cross country and a bit of commuting. As you can see the rear has completely snapped and not even along the weld but through the metal. Clearly im annoyed but more so just bewildered! is this a common thing for jamis frames? ive never ever had this happen on any other bike nor heard of anything like this happening to a bike thats had no more than a bit of dirt under it.

Anyone have any information/suggestions/similar experiences? my options as I see are:

1. find a good aluminium welder and hope it holds
2. buy a frame and just use this as a parts bike
3. (even though not covered by warranty anymore) get in contact with jamis and give them an earful

lordflog

Likes Dirt
The Australian distributors of Jamis are Adventure Brands & they are great guys. I've cracked several of their frames over the past few years & they've always been really helpful. Service from Jamis themselves however has always been dreadfully slow.

scblack

Leucocholic
I had a Jamis Durango from 2000-2007 or so for XC. My nephew has had at least two of them.

Great bike. No problems.

Jamis make great bikes.:fat:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Looks a bit like a design flaw to me, the chain stay acts as a long lever transmitting forces to exactly that area where it has broken, it doesn't look 'beefie (? wording)' enough. But perhaps someone has been sneaking out on your bike and going big? :)

Give them the distributor a yell, at worst hopefully they can offer a rear stay at a decent price if its out of warranty.

suktrona

Likes Bikes
thanks guys,

I agree, not the 'beefiest' rear going around, but alas no at least if someone had gone big on this I could feel at peace knowing it happened in style. No when I huck im on my demo 8 this truly and honestly has had a very very easy life, I picked it up new during run out sale for about $500.

Thankyou also regarding the jamis distributors, I have tried contacting Jamis direct and that was a horrible process, they wanted so much irrelevant information (what was the angle of the sun when this happened, did a butterfly flap its wings somewhere in tokyo etc etc) so ive almost given up dealing with them.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
thanks guys,

I agree, not the 'beefiest' rear going around, but alas no at least if someone had gone big on this I could feel at peace knowing it happened in style. No when I huck im on my demo 8 this truly and honestly has had a very very easy life, I picked it up new during run out sale for about $500.
A 2009 (possibly earlier) model bike for $500? I'd actually be pretty stoked to have gotten 3+ years of life out of a bike for that price :)
What were you doing when you cracked it?

suktrona

Likes Bikes
9/10 I would completely agree with you, this was bought on a whim due to the price and when the mood took me I used it for cross country.
The reason I dont feel like I got a good deal is because it may be a 2009 bike but it was bought new in box in 2011 and since then has had no more than 4 months of actual use.
This happened while mountain goating up a hill at my local bike park (eagle park for those playing at home)

Its was the equivalent of your shoe falling apart after walking to the local shops for no reason.

I know it sounds completely illogical but I maintain, its never been hucked, never been jumped and has never seen more than fire trails and some blue cross country trails.

Ive crashed my demo so many times ive lost count yet it never misses a beat and besides a few paint chips is as strong now as it was new, hence me thinking this jamis breaking is ridiculous.

kv1973

Likes Dirt
The Australian distributors of Jamis are Adventure Brands & they are great guys. I've cracked several of their frames over the past few years & they've always been really helpful. Service from Jamis themselves however has always been dreadfully slow.
I had a crack developed on my brand new top of the range carbon 2011 Jamis Dakar XCR Team on the drive side chain stay. I'm only 60kg and ride light XC so it was unfortunate. Luckily the distributor came to the party and go a replacement swing arm 3 months later (better late than never). I had the same experience above with Adventure Brands - so no complaints there.

The picture indicates just a total failure on the alloy and not any welds.

fatdude

Likes Bikes
My Frame (durango) has never missed a beat, only been let down by bolt on parts (fork, brakes) adventure brands were great actually recoing my whole front brake setup for nothing even though it was over 2 years old.

Give them a ring, cant hurt to ask.

Zam

Likes Dirt
I have heard nothing but good reports from Jamis bikes, i would be getting in contact with the distributor and letting them know you situation and asking if there was anything they were able to do, you never know, they may have an older frame laying around they can replace it with or offer you a discount on a newer frame, or they may just turn around and tell you to get stuffed, but previous experience with most companies are that generally they will try and help you in some way even if they dont fully replace the item.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

cameron_15

Eats Squid
This stuff happens to all bikes.............

I recently witnessed a Full Sram red road bike/carbon roadie from a very reputable brand returned to the store a couple of weeks after purchase, it cracked straight through the seat tube from normal riding... A quick call to the distributor, rep has a look, new frame is sent out and ready to ride later that week.

I've also seen a Flat bar road bike snap through the downtube, a regular mountain bike snap through the chainstay etc all are from different and reputable brands.

The point I'm trying to make is that this kind of stuff does happen and that, provided the bike was purchased new, you'll be looked after with a new frame/swingarm etc.

Coincidently, I work for a shop that deals with Jamis and have not yet seen one returned with a frame failure. I've also ridden a lot of their bikes and found them to be excellent.

suktrona

Likes Bikes
On the advice of the senior members I've flicked off an email to Adventure brands (im at work and cant call) with a few pictures, to be frank im not expecting a freebie thrown my way i'd happily part with $100 for a replacement rear lower swingarm, but try finding one! hopefully they can hook me up with the goods.

Ill post when I've received a reply

Thanks for those who have given advice greatly appreciated!

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure you get a 5 year warranty from the purchase date on jamis. Contact the shop you bought it from and let them deal with adventure brands as I'm pretty sure that is what adventure brands will ask you to do.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been working in a shop that stocks Jamis for a few years now. Seen a handful of these frames (not only parkers) come back with a complete fracture in exactly the same spot as yours.

However, in their defence they really quite good when it comes to warranty, AB that is.
Good luck with the warranty.

suktrona

Likes Bikes
ok got a reply today from Warren from Adventure brands,

Like many of you suspected I'm supposed to take it back to my LBS and get them to process the claim.

All good and an understandable response. Problem is the LBS doesn't want to deal with it. Too much paperwork apparently (I was under the impression all they would have to do is call Ad brands?) for something that was sold at a heavily discounted rate (apparently discounts directly correlate to whether or not you'll get decent customer service >:| )

Im at the point of not caring, but as a matter of principle I will push a little harder and see what happens.

Zam

Likes Dirt
I would suggest taking back to the LHS and pushing a little harder and even taking it up with the manager, if this fails then go back to Adventure Brands and explain your situation about the LHS not wanting to deal with it etc etc and give them the LHS details to they know who to contact, and then see what happens.

All the best with it, but stick with it you may be surprised at the outcome.....

dirty jamis

Cannon Fodder
I discovered a crack in the headstem of my 06 dakota comp. I had nothing but issues dealing with Jamis directly and the LBS gave up on me and told me to talk to adventure brands directly. This bike store has now pulled the pin on jamis and doesn't stock them because of the woeful warranty dealings. Seems to be a common theme here. Mate i'd suggest sending your detailed photo's to adventure brands with your purchase paperwork and keep at them. Adventure Brands will help you out, its just that you really need to dig in and do all the ground work. Good luck mate. Jamis are good bikes, but they need to step up when it comes to warranty, there are other choices out there.

Like many of you suspected I'm supposed to take it back to my LBS and get them to process the claim.

All good and an understandable response. Problem is the LBS doesn't want to deal with it. Too much paperwork apparently (I was under the impression all they would have to do is call Ad brands?) for something that was sold at a heavily discounted rate (apparently discounts directly correlate to whether or not you'll get decent customer service >:| )

Im at the point of not caring, but as a matter of principle I will push a little harder and see what happens.

redbruce

Eats Squid

Under Victorian consumer law they have no choice really. If they believe they do and dont come good you might as well name them so the rest of us dont get caught.

Ah yes, just noticed you are from Adelaide. Not sure of SA consumer law.

floody

Wheel size expert
This failure is so common as to be almost 'normal' for earlier marks of Parkers.

I hope your LBS isn't an Anaconda because it will be an uphill battle for you if it is.