Anyone got a recommendation for a physio in Melbourne?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Now that I'm done with classes for the year I'm keen to sort out other things I've been putting off. One of which is my posture. It's farked. Studying heaps and working at a desk job, combined with being fairly tall seems to have done a number on me. I did some googling, but the exercises I found I couldn't really do at all. I've always had bad shoulder flexibility (even in the swimming lessons as a 10 year old I couldn't paddle properly lol) and picked up a fractured sternum in Feb which is still giving me shit and probably all contributing to the slouch.

Anyway sorry for the life story - anyone got a Physio in Melbourne (preferably near city, northern or western suburbs) that they have had good experiences with? Google reviews can only help so much. Cheers

teK--

Eats Squid
Luke Anthony at Richmond Rehab. He is extremely knowledegable, all round nice guy, and his practice has a full gym setup. Has sorted out several issues for me.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I know where you’re coming from. Sitting my monitors much higher on my desk improved my posture and neck problems significantly.

But moving to a standing desk more recently has cured it entirely.

Edit: obviously a visit to a physio sounds like a must too, injuries piled onto chronic posture issues is a bad combination.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thanks for the recommendations Tek and Boom King, will definitely look at both of them.

I know where you’re coming from. Sitting my monitors much higher on my desk improved my posture and neck problems significantly.

But moving to a standing desk more recently has cured it entirely.
I definitely felt an improvement when I stacked the work computer (iMac) on top of a wooden box, lifting it up about 150mm. We have standing desks but they are pretty shite. Even at max height the desk surface feels like it's barely above waist height, so I don't use it. Probably the issue is more studying at home I'm on the laptop which a bit of an ergonomic disaster. Realistically I think I need to get a monitor for home use too, and sit that on top of something.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Definitely do it. Or the laptop up on a box with a seperate keyboard.

As you get tired (and it sounds like you are, studying after a day at work), you slouch forward on your elbows and look at the screen with a kink in your neck. Combine that with a bit of stress and it all locks up.

If you can find a way of modifying the standing desks to suit your height I think you’d really like it.

But if sitting, get your eye line nice and high and your posture automatically improves.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You need a decent flexibility routine and more importantly scheduled breaks away from the desk.

As much as a physio can help with some of this, ultimately sitting at a desk sucks, standing is not so bad but is still crap for you. For cyclists, news is worse. I pedal power to work and then proceed to sit my butt down. There goes the hams. I am also on the taller side of life. The spine is my enemy. I want to be amphibious, but also cannot swim. Physios can help but ultimately you have to figure a lot of it out yourself. Good luck.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I saw Micheal Middleton at top to toe health in Templstowe. He was really good with a couple of knee and neck issues I had. Both were fixed quickly in 2 or 3 visits. He doesn’t try and hook you into any long term treatment plans. He just fixes the issue and sends you on your way.