Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I had a Reverb on one bike that kept on failing and getting rebuilt, so I just gave up on that.

Have had a fixed seatpost on that bike since (29er HT) - I can ride most of the same things I can ride with a dropper, but I'm slower and its not as fun.

Will rectify one day, but my other bike (160mm FS) is sorted with a Lev and I can't imagine life without it for that kind of riding.

golden path

Banned
I think we're talking about very different kinds of riders here. The dropper haters are obviously XC riders who don't really focus on any steep, technical descents with features like drops, difficult rock gardens, massive holes/ledges and jumps. If you live in Melbourne and you reckon you can ride 'anything' with your seat at full height, I'll happily give you my left testicle if you can get down the Channel 10 track out at the Dandenongs without heading over the bars at least once and most likely getting a ride home in an ambulance.

I just don't see how riding with a much higher centre of gravity can be a good thing unless you're only ever riding on the flat, hills or very tame trails.

We can't all be better than Hans Rey, you know....and some of us probably don't aspire to your obvious level of awesomeness either.

A tip 'o' the hat to your skillz tho. :yo:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
you should definitely do what what you intended to do before asking for advice. Other people are dicks.
Bullshit! He should be indecisive and ask for advice. Then go with the crowd, no matter how different it is to his own true desires.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
We can't all be better than Hans Rey, you know....and some of us probably don't aspire to your obvious level of awesomeness either.

A tip 'o' the hat to your skillz tho. :yo:
You misunderstand me sir! I'm not saying I'm awesome at all, I'm actually saying the opposite. Make me ride over a gutter without a dropper post and I'd probably fall off...

I do think that riding with a lower centre of gravity helps though, and that's hard to achieve with the seat resting on your stomach and your ass over the back wheel.

golden path

Banned
Bullshit! He should be indecisive and ask for advice. Then go with the crowd, no matter how different it is to his own true desires.
I'm not so much asking for advice as wondering if others have taken their dropper posts off and used them as burglar clubs or similar. :)

You misunderstand me sir! I'm not saying I'm awesome at all, I'm actually saying the opposite. Make me ride over a gutter without a dropper post and I'd probably fall off...

I do think that riding with a lower centre of gravity helps though, and that's hard to achieve with the seat resting on your stomach and your ass over the back wheel.
Very well then. :yo:

I had a little play with the dropper today though a bit of a rock garden and TBH I hated the way it felt without proper leg extension, like I was riding some kid's stolen BMX a bit really....

I'm not riding black diamond / fall line type trails and have no desire to, TBH as a man has to know his limitations.

For example, most times I try to leave the ground with my bike attached, we arrive back on the ground separately. :wacko:

That kind of stuff's never appealed to me at all. I'm just a humble trail rider.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
You have to learn to ride differently. When I first got a dropper I was not really using it, but could not ride without one now. You can keep your weight centred over the bike, get super low and lean into corners, throw it around without a saddle up ya bum. Give it some time, adjust your riding style and you should love it otherwise if it doesn't work out can sell it!

Great post. Far more reliable and simple to work on than a reverb. Runs a standard derailleur cable. New ones have about 10 positions in the middle so pretty much infinite adjust. The lever is still the best one I've used.
Agree with both.

I bought a KS for my Yeti ASR SL because it was noodly at best on even remotely technical stuff. Getting the seat down really made the bike feel like a BMX and improved my confidence when things pointed down.

Sold it when I went to an Epic 29 because this bike was much stiffer and predictable stock and I overly focused on weight. Mistake.

Now have a Command post on the Epic and I use the drop function all the time (mostly 35mm drop), not just for technical sections. Love it.

Command is same weight as LEV, better lever and unlike LEV fully serviceable by me.

You definitely have to ride different to get the benefit (has become second nature now though).

Last edited:

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I think we're talking about very different kinds of riders here. The dropper haters are obviously XC riders who don't really focus on any steep, technical descents with features like drops, difficult rock gardens, massive holes/ledges and jumps. If you live in Melbourne and you reckon you can ride 'anything' with your seat at full height, I'll happily give you my left testicle if you can get down the Channel 10 track out at the Dandenongs without heading over the bars at least once and most likely getting a ride home in an ambulance.

I just don't see how riding with a much higher centre of gravity can be a good thing unless you're only ever riding on the flat, hills or very tame trails.
My last DJ/XC/Do everything bike would see your left nut given at its 24/7 seat height. Likely because I stood 90% of the time and this bike never needed a dropper. Seat up the riding position was stupid retarded and I only used it like that to ride 20km into the CBD for a street session when my car was dead. My old hardtail with "XC" seat height would still be shit at descending full technical gnar with a dropper though.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're excellent, if a little unreliable depending on brand and model. But not even a court order or commandment from (pick the Deity of your choice) could convince me I'd enjoy riding more without one. Droppers rule, forever!

John U

MTB Precision
I was bringing Gravity droppers in about 12 years ago. Saw the light way back then. Sent one off to Mountain Biking Australia for a review way back in 2006 and their response was similar to you said. 'If you can ride a section of trail without dropping your post why bother'.

The article didn't generate a single call. Pretty dejected by that I ditched it for a while, but then said 'fuck you world, I'm getting back on it', and was glad I did.

If you're not seeing the benefits you're not using it enough and not doing it right. Having the seat out of the way allows you to fully soak shit up with your legs, hugely benefitting traction, even if riding a duallie. It allows you get your arse way back for steep shit. I lowers your COG to help grip in sketchy corners.

If you're doing it right it'll feel like you're cheating the benefits are so good.

Another bonus I found was if riding endurance it gives you opportunity to slightly alter your position to give your body a bit of a break (infinitely adjustable versions) which is a bit of a secret bonus.

Persist. You'll thank yourself when you see the benefits.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
If you're not seeing the benefits you're not using it enough and not doing it right. Having the seat out of the way allows you to fully soak shit up with your legs, hugely benefitting traction, even if riding a duallie. It allows you get your arse way back for steep shit. I lowers your COG to help grip in sketchy corners.

If you're doing it right it'll feel like you're cheating the benefits are so good.

Another bonus I found was if riding endurance it gives you opportunity to slightly alter your position to give your body a bit of a break (infinitely adjustable versions) which is a bit of a secret bonus.

Persist. You'll thank yourself when you see the benefits.
Well said John U, even the humblest trail rider would (eventually) agree. I've even seen them on XC race bikes.

My recent Giant post with 150mm drop was one of the best bike related purchases I made in 2016 at $270...

stirk

Burner
Aside from helping you when riding downhill or through technical trails the dropper is supremely useful when mounting and dismounting if you lower it first, particularly so when wearing baggies instead of the Lycra bike shorts.

golden path

Banned
I used mine to put the seat down so the Mrs could try the bike.

But then she didn't want to try the bike anyway....

:pout:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm not riding black diamond / fall line type trails and have no desire to, TBH as a man has to know his limitations.

For example, most times I try to leave the ground with my bike attached, we arrive back on the ground separately. :wacko:

That kind of stuff's never appealed to me at all. I'm just a humble trail rider.

Yep, fair call, but why rule out the possibility of riding slightly more technical trails in the future when you inevitably progress as a rider? Not having the ability to get lower on the bike will mean that you'll never progress beyond a certain level, but if, one day, you're feeling good on the bike and ready to tackle something steeper and more technical, you'll be wanting to get that seat the hell out of the way!

I'm also a humble trail rider, but as an old guy I'm constantly surprised at how my riding continues to improve year after year. I put it down to my dropper post haha!

teK--

Eats Squid
Aside from helping you when riding downhill or through technical trails the dropper is supremely useful when mounting and dismounting if you lower it first, particularly so when wearing baggies instead of the Lycra bike shorts.
Yeah like when I fuck up on a steep technical climb. How the hell do I get back on lol.

I was bringing Gravity droppers in about 12 years ago. Saw the light way back then. Sent one off to Mountain Biking Australia for a review way back in 2006 and their response was similar to you said. 'If you can ride a section of trail without dropping your post why bother'.
You mean why bother riding that trail at all? ;)