Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

golden path

Banned
A little afront?

Yeah, nah.

Just pointing out that it can be an oversimplification to try and pigeonhole bikes into clearly defined roles.

Is a Trance for example "too much bike" for trail riding? Because they are immensely popular for just that.

The Stumpy doesn't feel to me to be "too much bike" either. I don't find it sluggish or heavy - but as I mentioned I'm a heavy bloke anyway.

Ultimately, if someone wants to ride an enduro bike on their trails, and enjoys it, (and I know some guys who do) then good luck to them.

As I said earlier, you'll see everything from XC race HT's to enduro bikes on the same trails around here. There are trails, and there are trails.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's only been lightly brushed over so far, but worth making more of a point - it really, really depends what, where and how you ride. Not everyone has aspirations of being the next Sam Hill (or DH hero of your choice). I can't ride with the things. Yes I'm an unashamed XC rider, but when it comes to lumpies I find I ride worse, on bits of trail I know, when the saddle is down. Being able to nudge the saddle with my thighs helps steer the bike, and when it's at knee-height I lose that point of reference of where the bike is.

Short version: if you ride in a manner that makes a dropper beneficial, use it. If you don't get any benefit from it, piss it off.
This, this so much.

dunndog

Eats Squid
A little afront?

Yeah, nah.

Just pointing out that it can be an oversimplification to try and pigeonhole bikes into clearly defined roles.

Is a Trance for example "too much bike" for trail riding? Because they are immensely popular for just that.

The Stumpy doesn't feel to me to be "too much bike" either. I don't find it sluggish or heavy - but as I mentioned I'm a heavy bloke anyway.

Ultimately, if someone wants to ride an enduro bike on their trails, and enjoys it, (and I know some guys who do) then good luck to them.

As I said earlier, you'll see everything from XC race HT's to enduro bikes on the same trails around here. There are trails, and there are trails.
I was referring more to your reply to Nautonier way back re riding styles.. but yeah, no one suggested pigeon holing bikes, but I think when asking who's gone from a dropper to a fixed post, and saying you ride a stumpy, it comes across as strange compared to say an epic, because generally those riding a stumpy are looking for general trail duties and some rowdy descending. If not, fine. No dramas. We all have our reasons.
Not trying to pick a fight either, just how it seems to have come across to me.
FWIW, I don't think I'm hardcore or rad or anything special, but I ride anything from mild single track to dh runs on my Transition Patrol, and I could not imagine not having a dropper. Being able to drop it a couple of inches is a massive help when descending, whilst still keeping the saddle high enough to be able to dig a thigh into or even sit for a couple quick cranks. It only ever gets slammed when things get properly steep, which again transforms a ride from survival mode to attack mode.
Rock and roll.

golden path

Banned
I do ride my Stumpy for general trail duites. And there's descending, rock gardens, ruts, chop, gully drop-ins, and so on. But also a fair bit of climbing.

I used the dropper yesterday on a section of fast, mildly twisty and rutted, loose downhill section.

It was ok, but in all honesty if the dropper hadn't been there I wouldn't have been heartbroken or wanted to spend $$ on a dropper.

I'm just used to riding without one, is all.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You get used to riding without one, and you also get sued to riding with one.

It takes a while - maybe 6 months before you start to use it a lot and without thinking - they are a shockingly unreliable piece of equipment though.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I found it took me a good month or 2 for the dropper to feel good. After 6 months there was no way I could go back. Got to the point now where I don't like riding my other bike as it doesn't have a dropper. Give it time I reckon and give yourself a chance to get comfortable with it. Made me a much more confident rider.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love the idea of the dropper. The two things that have still held me back have been firstly that I ended up constantly adjusting it in an attempt to get the perfect height for every section (which inevitably just slowed me down). But the biggest killer for me is the lateral freeplay that they have. I'm yet to find one that doesn't move at least 1mm at the front of the seat. It just feels loose and that irks me for some reason. I like a solid thing and so am still rocking the fixed post. QR collar will suffice for big changes in the terrain.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I had an epiphany today! Dropper post is a misnomer, it's really a riser post. You don't drop it down when you need more movement, you raise it up when you need better pedalling. After all, they're rubbish going down but pop up great.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Giant dropper and a shim if needed.
Can they be set up for externally routed? So far so good with my Grant dropper.

My wife has set her 2017 riding goal as learning to jump properly..... a dropper might help that or might just go all retro and put the seat down with a quick release.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Can they be set up for externally routed? So far so good with my Grant dropper.

My wife has set her 2017 riding goal as learning to jump properly..... a dropper might help that or might just go all retro and put the seat down with a quick release.
New Giant posts come externally routed and can be changed to internal if needed. Really good design idea.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Get her a dropper... my wife love her dropper, as she gets to ride stuff she would otherwise walk.

And re jumping... she has now done the first jump on Lysty's Hug trail three times... and was only happy with the first and last effort... but she wouldn't do it without the dropper.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Get her a dropper... my wife love her dropper, as she gets to ride stuff she would otherwise walk.

And re jumping... she has now done the first jump on Lysty's Hug trail three times... and was only happy with the first and last effort... but she wouldn't do it without the dropper.
Is this built jumps just after it gets steep(er) and fast? Land off line ATM there are fuck off prickly spear thistle weeds. I whacked both hands and knee into them last week. Drew blood.