Anyone had a dropper post and then got rid of it?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
And re jumping... she has now done the first jump on Lysty's Hug trail three times... and was only happy with the first and last effort... but she wouldn't do it without the dropper.
Is this built jumps just after it gets steep(er) and fast? Land off line ATM there are fuck off prickly spear thistle weeds. I whacked both hands and knee into them last week. Drew blood.
Mark… yes that’s the one… Sue wasn’t happy at all with her second jump as she fluffed it, but complained more about the prickles… said it stung like crazy. I was sure that would be the end for her, but she had another go on the next ride and nailed it.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
What’s a budget recommendation these days - externally routed.
I had to put an expensive Reverb on my wife’s bike as that was the only one that would fit, but on my bikes I’ve got three cheapo $179.00 DNM droppers from CyclingDeal.

My first one has been in use for over three years and is still going strong. Over time the actuating lever would gum up and not return, and I used various workarounds (hair-ties) to overcome that, but I have found that a can of CRC Dry Glide with PTFE is all you need… spray that stuff on the lever pivot every now and then… and it gives a nice light lever and the dropper is smooth as silk and works a treat.

Two of my mates have the more expensive DNM $229 jobs, with the side pull cable… once again no problems, though they don’t ride a lot… actually they hardly ride at all... so who knows?

But the handlebar lever that comes with them sucks, so I’ve changed mine out to Specialized levers... fixed.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm changing my opinion of not liking dropper posts now :)

My new bike came with the Giant dropper so thought I'd give it a chance. It's so tight that you don't notice any twisting at all. Lovely! The push down lever wasn't looking too good to me, but it's light and smooth, as is the dropper action. She's staying on this time.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I had to put an expensive Reverb on my wife’s bike as that was the only one that would fit, but on my bikes I’ve got three cheapo $179.00 DNM droppers from CyclingDeal.

My first one has been in use for over three years and is still going strong. Over time the actuating lever would gum up and not return, and I used various workarounds (hair-ties) to overcome that, but I have found that a can of CRC Dry Glide with PTFE is all you need… spray that stuff on the lever pivot every now and then… and it gives a nice light lever and the dropper is smooth as silk and works a treat.

Two of my mates have the more expensive DNM $229 jobs, with the side pull cable… once again no problems, though they don’t ride a lot… actually they hardly ride at all... so who knows?

But the handlebar lever that comes with them sucks, so I’ve changed mine out to Specialized levers... fixed.
Cheers-

So current options for externally routed budget ones (in increasing price) appear to be:

KS eTen ($170 from Ubyk)
DNM ones ($179 from Cycling deal)
X-Fusion Hilo ($230 from Ubyk)
Funn Up Down ($258 from Torpedo7)
Giant (~$260 from Giant dealer)

Think I'll just go cheapest and not expect too much - its for 2nd bike anyway

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers-

So current options for externally routed budget ones (in increasing price) appear to be:

KS eTen ($170 from Ubyk)
DNM ones ($179 from Cycling deal)
X-Fusion Hilo ($230 from Ubyk)
Funn Up Down ($258 from Torpedo7)
Giant (~$260 from Giant dealer)

Think I'll just go cheapest and not expect too much - its for 2nd bike anyway
Try Al at Pushie Enterprises for KS. Reckon he will be there or about...and will support you beautifully.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Try Al at Pushie Enterprises for KS. Reckon he will be there or about...and will support you beautifully.
As much as I disliked my KS eTen (for its short travel and slow return speed), I'd have it over any other cheap dropper in a heartbeat.

golden path

Banned
OK homiez....I have had a bit of a play with the dropper the last couple of rides.

Dropped it down about an inch for a couple of descents so I was sat lower, and kind of threw BMX style sprints in when I could in the smoother or straighter sections. I felt like I was faster.

Also stuffed around doing a few dropins into gullies and creeks with it down a bit more and can see the benefit for this sort of thing (which I don't normally do much of, TBH).

Can't see myself dropping the thing up and down for every corner and berm on the trail though.

Time will tell, young Skywalkers.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Got a Reverb on main bike but have a Tranzx cheapo dropper on hard tail. Was very cheap at around $130 for external routed model. Bought from bike-discount. Although no where as fast and smooth as reverb the Tranzx has been quite good for price. Does only have 100mm drop but is still usable. I believe they may come as standard on lower spec Specialized bikes. It had the normal cable tension issues at first but a spring in the mechanism on seat post and it's been flawless.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I don't find a dropper to be a life-changing piece of equipment like some others do, but i did ride for nearly 20 years without one, so I am probably conditioned not to appreciate it as much as people with less time on fixed seatposts.

I would probably be more enthusiastic about them if they weren't so expensive and have a reputation for unreliability.

The first time I had one I did go back to a fixed seatpost for a while.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I think you 2 ^^^ need to go riding together some time.. make sure gopro it for us! :pop2:
We could invite Redbrucey along as well and it would be a bromance in the making... Only problem is I would be the one falling off my bike while laughing my ass off watching something trying to descend while seated. MTB 101 and all that...

redbruce

Eats Squid
We could invite Redbrucey along as well and it would be a bromance in the making... Only problem is I would be the one falling off my bike while laughing my ass off watching something trying to descend while seated. MTB 101 and all that...
There you go, could be good (your amusement mind) .

While I've been in MTB since 1989, done my time fixed, my dropper now (re) rates.

And if I'm to be involved, it's a brumance ;)

Nautonier

Eats Squid
There you go, could be good (your amusement mind) .

While I've been in MTB since 1989, done my time fixed, my dropper now (re) rates.

And if I'm to be involved, it's a brumance ;)
Excellent, a brumance it is then. Between us I'm sure we can show Golden Path the right path.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Spring is from a biro pen. Really did solve all tension issues and make the seat post much nicer to use
Ha ha... with my first DNM, I did the biro pen spring thing too... but it eventually got all rusty, so I went to the hairtie trick, which worked a treat... but then discovered the CRC Dry Glide with PTFE, which made all workarounds unnecessary... the thing is easy as pie to operate and smooth as silk.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't find a dropper to be a life-changing piece of equipment like some others do, but i did ride for nearly 20 years without one, so I am probably conditioned not to appreciate it as much as people with less time on fixed seatposts.

I would probably be more enthusiastic about them if they weren't so expensive and have a reputation for unreliability.

The first time I had one I did go back to a fixed seatpost for a while.
Not really. 15 years on an Mtb without, 6 years now with. The minute I tried one, no chance of going back......even on the commuter.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Not really. 15 years on an Mtb without, 6 years now with. The minute I tried one, no chance of going back......even on the commuter.
It's hard to say, but this man knows what's going on (in this instance).

Last edited: